Mario Party 8 - discussion thread & opinion poll

How do you rate Mario Party 8? (vote only after playing)

• 10 (Genre defining)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9 (Outstanding)

• 5 (Average)

• 4 (Below average)

• 1 (Appalling)

• Total voters

fuse_66

Established Member
Reaction score
Many sites have this listed for release in March, does anyone think that it will actually come out then, as i for one have always enjoyed the series and think with the wiimote it will be even better?

Its being touted about that its 30th March i think. Cant see it personally as i havent heard much about it TBH.

Ive never been into them. Had a few bouts on some of the earlier titles but a single multiplayer game takes too long.

Enjoy these games. Good fun and looking forward to this release.

Are there any hints of online play for this next instalment?

My daughter (who is 4) loves Mario Party 6 - was going to get 7 but will wait for Mario Party 8 on the Wii now... I like playing it with her too I must say (anything that makes her happy!)

Some screens:

54941520070222_140008_0_big.jpg

54941520070222_140009_1_big.jpg

54941520070222_140015_10_big.jpg

54941520070222_140014_7_big.jpg

54941520070222_140016_11_big.jpg

54941520070222_140022_29_big.jpg

54941520070222_140018_18_big.jpg

Any rumours of online play for this one?

It's not mentioned in the press release, so I would guess thats a no.

10th May 2007- You’d better be in the mood for fun, as Mario Party is back! This classic party game series provides hours of fun for everyone regardless of age or gaming ability and Mario Party 8 is no exception. This fast paced and crazy game is the first Wii installment of the popular series and is the perfect game to play with family and friends. Join the party this summer with Mario Party 8 when it launches across Europe on 22nd June 2007.

All the old favourites including Mario, Luigi, Peach and Yoshi are back in this latest Mario Party installment, along with a couple of new faces, such as Blooper and Hammer Bro, who previously appeared for the first time in the original Super Mario Bros. on the Nintendo Entertainment System. Players must move around the board by throwing a dice and at the end of each turn they are faced with a humorous yet challenging mini-game. This really is the perfect game to play against friends and family thanks to the multiplayer mode which allows you and your friends to team up against each other in both two versus two and one against all challenges.

Combine this zany board game action with the Wii Remote and Mario Party 8 makes for a highly-charged, dynamic experience, with unique and exciting gameplay styles on offer for each mini-game. Such mini-games include a snowboard race, a race on a tight rope, a boat rowing race and even a cake decoration contest. The Wii Remote adds a new level of comfort and novelty to gameplay as some mini-games require holding the Wii Remote vertically, sideways and even like a TV remote pointing at the screen. It also enables the player to cruise seamlessly through the game’s numerous different modes. What’s more in certain modes, players can use their very own personalised Mii characters within specific mini-games.

The game’s main mode, Party Tent, challenges players to take on the computer or up to three friends in a turn-based battle. Each board features different challenges but as a general rule, players have a set number of turns to collect as many stars as they can. Mini-games played in party mode vary depending on the number of players.

If you just can’t get enough of the many mini-games, you can devote your time entirely to playing them in the Mini-Game Tent, moving from game to game and honing your skills. Elsewhere players can put their skills to the test in the Star Battle Arena where they must take on and defeat the computer. Other zones include the Extras Zone and the Fun Bazaar all of which add fun and diverse elements to the classic game.

In addition, aspiring Mario Party 8 masters can use the game’s multiplayer capabilities to play with up to three other people. Friends and family can battle it out in Party Tent mode, Mini-Game Tent and the Extras zone.

The newest installment in the Mario Party series sees the latest developments in technology combined with a classic gaming formula and is set to become the best in the series yet! Mario Party 8 parties its way into stores across Europe on 22nd June 2007 at an estimated price of around £40.

Miis get in on the action.

While we all pretty much know what to expect from a Mario Party game, the eighth installment will bring a new mode with it. The “Extras Zone” will have eight minigames, four of which have to be unlocked. The four we know of are a Wii Sports bowling clone, a Wii Play table tennis clone, a racing game, and a “variety pack” that offers up puzzles. This mode allows you to play as your Miis instead of Mario Party characters.

I actually thought that this was months away, but yesterday I discovered that its being released in the US today and the UK in a few weeks.

I saw this video yesterday it it looks really nice:

http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=17258

I actually can't wait.. I only really use my Wii when friends come round and so far, other than Sports, the multiplayer games have lacked any kind of substance.... This looks just the job!!!!

Jon

Its out, but its not looking good :(

IGN gave it 5.2:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/792/792495p1.html

Gamespot gave it 6.5:

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/puzzle/marioparty8/review.html

I just hope that this is because its not original compaired to the previous GC versions, which is fine by me as I have never played the GameCube varients.

But its not the result i was hoping for!!!

Jon

Gamespot where playing it On The Spot last week and said that it's basically the same old Mario Party with new controls. That's all well and good but i for one think it's time the series evolved a bit. It's been around since the N64 now and IMO the formula is starting to show it's age. From what i have read so far i wont be buying it, will just go play Mario Party 2 and 3 if i get a need to play a MP game :D

To be honest, if thats the case, I will be more than happy.. The Gamecube was one of the few consoles I have never owned, so I have never actually played Mario Party.

So, even if it does lack originality, for me, it will be TOTALLY original!

I just want something with good Multi-Player options.. On face value the Wii looks to have good multi-player abilities.. But once you get beyond WiiSports, it pretty poor.

I want more games like WarioWare and Rayman, but with a more structured Multi-player option.. I can't be the only person who thought that whilst Wario and Rayman were great, their Multiplayer options were almost useless.

Rather than just being able to select a minigame, it needs some kind of 'wrapper' to keep score and allocate a game for each person to play.

Mario Party looks just the job, but after reading both reviews, I am not so sure!

Jon

To be honest, if thats the case, I will be more than happy.. The Gamecube was one of the few consoles I have never owned, so I have never actually played Mario Party.

So, even if it does lack originality, for me, it will be TOTALLY original!

I just want something with good Multi-Player options.. On face value the Wii looks to have good multi-player abilities.. But once you get beyond WiiSports, it pretty poor.

I want more games like WarioWare and Rayman, but with a more structured Multi-player option.. I can't be the only person who thought that whilst Wario and Rayman were great, their Multiplayer options were almost useless.

Rather than just being able to select a minigame, it needs some kind of 'wrapper' to keep score and allocate a game for each person to play.

Mario Party looks just the job, but after reading both reviews, I am not so sure!

Jon

I think most of the criticisms are that a lot of the mini games have been seen before in the past MP games. There are some that seem to be made with the Wii in mind but the rest seem to hark back to the past Mario Party games.

Coming from your position that's not necessarily a bad thing, but it does ponder the question should you get MP8 or just go for MP7 on the GC. Now if you already have access to 4 Wii remote and nunchucks, go for 8. Also if you don't have 4 cube controllers go for 8.

Mario Party games on the whole are usually very good and I think everyone should have at least one of the series in there collection.

Myself having 4,5 & 6 for cube already will probably give this a miss, pretty much for the same reason I gave 7 a miss. It doesn't seem to offer enough difference from the past games. If I didn't have the others I would probably get this on launch, regardless of reviews. As it stands I may wait till it comes down in price first.

Here's a more positive review that might help you make a decision
Gametrailers Video Review

I was under the impression that the UK release of Mario Party was June 22nd.. Infact, about 50% of suppliers say that this is the case.

But the rest say July 13th.. I am assuming that July 13th is now right, but can anyone confirm this?

Jon

I did hear it had been put back a couple of weeks, something about production problems?

I can't remember where I heard it though, sorry :suicide:

I think a lot of people are going to be dissapointed by this game if the feedback so far is anything to go by.

just picked this up from my local indie, and its the proper uk version. so have a look around

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom