mario kart, double crap

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by keyser, Nov 8, 2003.

1. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I can´t believe that they made the same mistake that they did with mario kart 64... the players that are behind go faster and get better objects. THIS COMPETELY RUINS THE GAME! It would have been ok to have this feature selectable, so that the kids have a chance against me(or experienced players), but when youre playing against other people this makes the gameplay so increadably cheap and senseless. It´s actually better to be behind in the last lap and get a good object and experienced players aren´t even guaranteed of winning total newbies. Some will argue that this makes the game more exciting.. but I feel it´s like watching golf and Tiger wasn´t allowed to use his driver, which doesn´t make any sense and takes all the fun out of the competition.

VERY DISAPOINTED IN NINTENDO!

2. robbster

robbster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Have you got a copy of the japanese import then keyster?

3. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    If what you say is true, then I agree with what you say. There's nothing more fustrating than leading the entire race, only to be beated at the last hurdle. What you are saying is that this game is purposefully designed to do this?

The annoying thing is, no matter what you say, the Nintendo "hard core" will have nothing said against it (I seem to remember someone arguing over my views on the average Metroid Prime like something not right). The printed press seem to have already made up their minds and will probably heap rewards nomatter what the game is like. - rant over -

Russell

4. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I haven´t got the Japanese import, I just read a review that said double dash had this same "feature".

I find it very weird that no reviews find this a fault, I found this made the difference that mario kart was excellent but mario kart 64 wasn´t fun at all. I would say that I´m a nintendo hard core fan.. I have had all their consoles and gameboys and no other consoles. But it´s this sorta crap that get´s them the "only for kids" label. I think mario kart is fantastic in every regard, but stuff like this handicap feature is just for kids. I´d think that many grown ups(given what me and all my friends think) notice the it and find a very cheap and lame way of making the game "more exciting".

Some racers have this stuff selectable.. I just hope that there will come some action replay code or something that will make this game fair. Is there any possibility of that happening?

I emailed nintendo(not really hoping for a reply.. just letting out some steam) and I hope there is a way of turning off the handicap system, maybe they will have it as a feature in the PAL version if enough people complain?? That would be great, because I think this is the only thing keeping MK from being an awesome game.

p.s. Since double dash looks great and is progressive scan I was looking forward to playing it on my infocus 5700 projector that I´m getting next week. But now I really don´t think I will buy the game.

5. robbster

robbster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Looking at the review HERE it says that the catch up feature has now gone. I personally cant wait for it to come out as I love mario kart :)

6. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Keyser,

I really doubt you're going to get any luck with changing the PAL version, even if Nintendo did heed your protest. The game goes on sale here in 6 days time, so it's almost certainly gone gold.

Oh, and russraff - sorry mate, really can't agree on Metroid Prime being average!! :)

I'm reserving judgment on DD until I play it.

7. tonyeck

tonyeck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had the JAP version since wednesday and I love it. I honestly think this is the best ario kart game yet. I find the computer hardly cheats now and I always seem to find the race splits up in to about 3 different battles... 1st 2nd and 3rd, 4th and 5, 6th 7th and 8th, so its not always best to be on the last lap in last in this version.

It is very exciting to play. The computer offers you as much punishment as you would offer it if they were in first. Its a very hard game too in 150cc and you really really have to be skilled to win. Yes there is a tiny bit of computer catch up, buts its not even close to how bad the N64 version was. If you are lagging behind, you do tend to get red shells and mushrooms etc but they dont knock everyone out and you hardly ever get the lightening. Also with characters "own" weapons, you get them in any position and they are special too.

Basically I am tryin to say this game is exciting now, much more so than the N64 one. SO far I haven't wanted to throw my cube at my projector or do any damage wat so ever! I also find it alot of fun and a joy to play. Hope you might do to mate

8. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I hope I will like it.. hopefully I will if the catchup isn´t as bad as MK 64. I found it was much worse there in two player race than vs. the computer.

But I seriously doubt I will enjoy the battle mode. I didn´t think it was any fun in 64, but in the orignal I thought it was amazing. The times when the shells circled you... sometimes it was possible to stop and have the shells circle you, everything about that battle mode was fantastic. But in 64 it was so easy to jump on another platform and shake the shells.

9. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +210
    I've got the Jap version as well and really, calling a game crap without actually having played it is a bit OTT.

I rate it better than the N64 version (which I never got on with) but not as good as the original SNES version (which I still play today!).

The only real problem I have with the catchup thing is the Blue Shell which only homes in on the leader of a race - but even then it doesn't stop me from winning races.

If there is a criticism about the game it is to do with the computer controlled teams in GP mode. You generally get a team which beats all the other computer teams all of the time in a GP series which means that you are effectively competing against one AI controlled team throughout the GP.

The Battle Mode is also great fun with a warning indicator showing a red shell on your arse giving you time to get that green shell or banana skin dropped to block it. The addition of the passenger allows for multiple weapons to be switched which also adds to the tactical side of things.

As I said, calling a game crap before actually playing it is premature. I think it's absolutely brilliant.

10. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Were can I get the UK version early?

11. tonyeck

tonyeck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    any indie shops that live near you? On ebay there was a guy who aquired a copy early through a launch party... Or some online shops might get it in early but with post strikes goin on etc you might get it late and **** you off

12. othello

othello
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  13. derekrcross

derekrcross
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what online shops sell the broardband adapter for the gamecube
    thanks in advance for any help

14. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    "As I said, calling a game crap before actually playing it is premature"

I really meant the catch up feature is crap, and if it is as bad as in 64(which I don´t know it is, but have read a review that stated that the players that lag get better objects) then the game might also be crap, kinda like 64. But I do agree.. I got a little carried away. Was a bit angry after reading the review.

15. stewarthollyhea

stewarthollyhea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the review is up for mario party 5 on IGN and it sounds like the best version yet.

They havent yet reviewed mario kart but their first impressions on the final build seem to suggest it a "killer ap" and the game of the year

mind you these are the people thatrated hhitman 2 on gamecube which was a rushed out bag of ****e

16. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +495
    Totally argee with the above, 95% of the time it's only one computer pairing really competing for 1st place, this can become annoying but it isn't as maddening as the old MK64 catch up so don't worry.

I got the PAL version today from a local shop(can't say where though :rolleyes: ), and it's great!!:smashin:

The game is polished to an inch of it life, great graphics, rock steady frame rate(60Hz mode included:clap: ) and the star of the show is the courses. Some of these are destine to become 'classic'.

So my advice would be don't worry about the catch feature, just look forward to enjoying the best Kart game out there.

Giz. :D

17. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I loved and played both the SNES and N64 versions to death so i know i am gona love this game and cant wait to play it the only question i have is will i be able to connect a U.S and U.K cube together for LAN Play as i have U.S Cube and mate has U.K cube, or do you need to have same region cubes?

18. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The review at cube.ign.com kinda confirmed my fears, they say the catchup is bad etc. ?

19. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +495
    Honestly it's not a catch up issue, it's more to do with 1 pair being your main opponents instead of all 7.

You can actually get a good lead in a race and keep it, you won't see second place going twice as fast all the time to catch up. If your behind the game will be more likely to give you 'boost' and 'lighting' etc. . . .

While i find the single player side of things a bit on the frustrating side(due to above reasons), and due to the fact i want to open up everything for multiplay this weekend, this is a must have GC game.

If you enjoy time trial mode the tracks themselves will make it worthwhile.

2 Days to go, you can always return it, but i'm sure it'll be a keeper for you just like it is for me;)

Giz.:D

20. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many people believe IGNs review is for Pure SHOCK value to boost readers and i would not put it passed them, everyone i have spoke to who has played the game says its awesome. I thought there review was one of the worst i have ever read to be onest some of the points they made was rediculous

21. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Even the Original Super Mario Kart had Catch-up/One Character to compete with though, so this wont be a problem for me as long as its not as extreme as mk64 was.

Hey, anyone noticed the Graphic style of this game is a lot more similar to the original SMK?

22. spidermanalf

spidermanalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    As long as its not bad as some EA bigs titles, Like Freakstyle and Sled storm, elastic band AI I think its called, where if you are burning ahead they will catch you up, no matter what!

To be honest as annoying as it was, I still stuck with them and enjoyed the challenge!

Wonder if EA Big will do a Kart Racer, they seem to do most other things, and most of the games from them are excellent! Def Jam Vendetta is one of teh best wrestling games out there!

Bit on a tangent, but hey ho!

23. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Raaar... At least you guys get to play on the game :: sulks ::

Looks like I'll have to wait until my US version arrives but from the brief go I had in GameStation the controls do need to get used to as its certainly not as tight as the SNES version and... The absence of the hop! On the SNES version the hop was stupidly important (you can even dodge red shells with a hop). Its a shame thats gone. The N64 drift boost is still there as well which is a mixed bag in terms of pure speed, but those are my early impressions anyway. Once I get a session in the drift boost should be more useful.

About the AI, it really was poor on the N64. I didn't notice it too much on my go earlier today but I'd certainly like it to be fair. The SNES version (of which is still king imo) had fair AI overal. You can easily pull away on the 150cc races and build up a comfortable lead unlike the N64 version >_< Even on a straight with a triple mushroom the AI will stick to your side... It encourages dirty play than driving skill >_<

Anyway enough moaning from me, I'll just watch Naruto to calm down...

24. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i know what you guys are saying but i used to enjoy that about Mario kart 64, knowing that you had to have a perfect race to win, the adrenalin as you enter the last lap with them right on ya ass was pumping :)

OK i threw the controller down a few times and switched the N64 off and vowed never to play again BUT i ALWAYS came back to it and beat it and thats a sign of a great game however much it annoys you, you just keep coming back for more :)

25. Drunken Master

Drunken Master

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I played it for a couple of hours and agree the courses are brilliant, however, will we be playing in 10 years time? I think not.

That's why the snes version has been widely rated as one of the best games ever! The N64 verison never drew me in as much, gonna go fire the snes up now!

26. RickB

RickB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Went out and bought it this morning !!

US Gamecube - UK version of the game !!

Freeloader just gives me a black screen when I try to use it with Mario Kart !!! Doh !!!

Going to have to buy a UK Gamecube this afternoon !!!

RickB

27. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've sold my UK version of Mario Kart in frustration lol Looks like I'll have to wait for my US copy to ship... Hope it won't take too long now. If only Super Mario Kart played well online instead of having 5-10fps... you wouldn't see me off it ^_^

I will give the GC version a chance of course as beyond the intial play there seems to be plenty of depth to dig into. More than the SNES version? I can't tell anyway until I play on it for a week, but I'm sure everyone will voice their opinion lol

28. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    where u guys got the U.S version on order from? i have my order palced with DVD box office and as long as i get one of there first batch everything will be fine if i dont i might cancel my order

29. Willy

Willy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was in the same position...but I just bought a PAL Cube aswell! I figured more & more games are going to be incompatible with Freeloader, so thought I should invest in a PAL one.

30. RickB

RickB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its okay (well ..ish) I went out and bought a UK gamecube as well - okay no progressive scan but at least the component video cable works !!

RickB