• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Mario Kart 8 - Reviews Thread

johnbusby

The reviews are obviously great as we all expected but its really refreshing that Nintendo have allowed them to come out 2 weeks before release. Its shows how confident they are in the product and is a nice change from the sharp practice of release day review embargoes that have become so prevelant

Nezben

Distinguished Member
Awesome. Great news on the quality of the game but we've come to expect that from Nintendo at present :)

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
I've only watched the IGN review so far, I was actually pleased to see them take a point off for the silly restrictive online structure & comms only in lobby. It's the only way Nintendo will(well, maybe) learn if they start being criticized in reviews for it.

Great scores though, expected it to be sitting above 89 on metacritic, but not important, this should be a cracker!

Tazbot

Distinguished Member
I've only watched the IGN review so far, I was actually pleased to see them take a point off for the silly restrictive online structure & comms only in lobby. It's the only way Nintendo will(well, maybe) learn if they start being criticized in reviews for it.

Great scores though, expected it to be sitting above 89 on metacritic, but not important, this should be a cracker!

Yeh I agree but it's the one score sitting at 75 on Metacritic that pulls it down tbh - why some folk don't 'get it' with a game that's scored highly else where irks me tbh but each to their own n all that and agree with you that MK8 is a cracker of a game.

addyb

Distinguished Member
Forget metacritic. Its a flawed system anyway. For me Nintendo isn't about a Mario platformer, Zelda or metroid. Its MK pure and simple for me. I said way back @ Wii U launch this is all I care about. I would literally buy the console for just this one game if I didn't already own one.

Nezben

Distinguished Member
The metacritic score is not going to have any influence on the games' sales at all.
I wouldn't worry about it.

addyb

Distinguished Member
What I mean is the way the averages work out. I use the site a lot and also find it a valuable resource but some get hung up on the scores too much. You can get a game with a raft of high scores but then gets the overall marked down for a few lower scores.

I just meant the scoring system grinds on some people. I do use the site myself a lot but never pay attention to the overall score. Its just my one stop shop to access a few reviews in one place.

hippo99

Distinguished Member
One very obvious flaw is that some sites score out of 5, some score out of 10.
Say Mario Kart 8 is great, but not quite perfect.
One magazine might score it 9/10=90%, the other magazine scores it 4/5=80%.
Automatically there's a 10% discrepancy even though the reviewers might've felt exactly the same way about the game.

safcalibur

Distinguished Member
One very obvious flaw is that some sites score out of 5, some score out of 10.
Say Mario Kart 8 is great, but not quite perfect.
One magazine might score it 9/10=90%, the other magazine scores it 4/5=80%.
Automatically there's a 10% discrepancy even though the reviewers might've felt exactly the same way about the game.

Well check out Rachel Riley...:) just kidding, one question though....do you look as sexy as her in a skirt?....

hippo99

Distinguished Member
Well check out Rachel Riley...:) just kidding, one question though....do you look as sexy as her in a skirt?....
I don't know...am I?

:rotfl:

Attachments

• Asymmetrical002.jpg
    Asymmetrical002.jpg
    368.2 KB · Views: 103

Amph

Distinguished Member
AVF Cross Dressing Champion 2014!

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom