• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Marine ply

scoobysmiff

Established Member
Has anyone built an enclosure out of Marine Ply. A few years ago when I worked in the ICE industry it was said that Marine Ply was the best product to use for building an enclosure for subwoofers.

It is apparently a lot stronger for the same weight and size as MDF with less resonance as well.

I never got the chance to test this claim, but I am interested in the veiws of those on this forum.

Anyone with experience in this?

scoobysmiff

Established Member
Interesting, how does it work out cost wise. If its expensive I bet its use is a little rare.

I'm not sure exactly how much it costs, a small search should sort this one out but I would imagine that it cost a bit more than you would expect, but if it's a case of you get what you pay for, it may make the difference to some of the more eccentric builds on this forum :thumbsup:

Just a thought?

leedude03

Established Member
There are a couple of advantages of using marine ply instead of mdf, but they only really apply to pa gear.
It is a lot more resistant to tempreature changes and damp/wet conditions,as mdf if subjected to damp or wetness swells and peels even if you use the green moisture resistant type.
also ply is a lot less hazardous to work with, and mostly easier to work with more forgiving and easier to fix.
Sound quality wise there are some who prefer mdf and others prefer ply.
Ply is the most expensive of the two.

scoobysmiff

Established Member
marine ply is 3x the price of mdf if you want 1 that is suitable for a paint finish etc

Where's best to buy it from then Dean, can you get it?

scoobysmiff

Established Member
and a quick look on google and you have robbins in bristol who claim to have the widest range of marine ply altho i would recommend birch ply whish is best for a paint finish but it is not a marine ply i dont think

Yeah I saw them, I think I will pop and see them for a chat and see how much it is for a decent size sheet?

mike.hutch

Established Member
What you want is 13 laminate birch ply. Its used in the PA/pro audio world as its very stiff and hard wearing, it can be varnished for a nice finish as well if needed.

Its definitely not easier to work with than MDF though, MDF can be filled if you make a mistake with the router, also ply splinters if you use a router or saw against the grain.

They have a really good range at Avon Plywood in Bristol.

Also they can cut it to size for you accurate to 1mm, on a huge computer controlled bench, not like B&Q where you are relying on the skill of the man who happens to be on the saw. They do edge banding and CNC routing as well, great if you want to make a sub out of veneered MDF.

scoobysmiff

Established Member
What you want is 13 laminate birch ply. Its used in the PA/pro audio world as its very stiff and hard wearing, it can be varnished for a nice finish as well if needed.

Its definitely not easier to work with than MDF though, MDF can be filled if you make a mistake with the router, also ply splinters if you use a router or saw against the grain.

They have a really good range at Avon Plywood in Bristol.

Also they can cut it to size for you accurate to 1mm, on a huge computer controlled bench, not like B&Q where you are relying on the skill of the man who happens to be on the saw. They do edge banding and CNC routing as well, great if you want to make a sub out of veneered MDF.

Quality link Mike, thanks, I will be sure to go see them when I am building my enclosure :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom