Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Marcrovision Removal

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by TB, Jul 30, 2003.

1. TB

TB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm looking to buy the Panny S35 and the Panny DMR-E50 as a combined solution.

My TV a Panny TX28PK10 cannot handle macrovision. A weird fault but it makes DVD watching unwatchable. So I need the two new player to have macrovision removed completely.

As I result I've always bought my players from techtronics (boo) coz their mods used to have macrovision disabled. Now they just try and sell you a macrovision disabling SCART making buying from them really rather expensive.

So my question is:

Are there any etailers that sell chipped players with macrovision disabled?

2. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Very weird... :confused:

Have you had the TV looked at? I would strongly suggest trying to get it fixed. When I worked at HoF we sold penty of PK10's, most of which never displayed any faults at all... it's certainly not a "known problem" AFAIK :confused:

K.

3. TB

TB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Tis weird but it's definitely the problem. After much pain three - four years ago I finally got a DVD player you could enable and disable it and sure enough, with it on I get ghosted bars running up and down the screen, with it off I get a top notch picture.

Problem is I got it through complaining when QXL pulled an auction I was winning, so they gave me this TV for £300, which back then was about £700 under RRP, so I was loathed to try and get new one off them (knowing they wouldn't be very keen to help).

It's not a big deal I just need non macrovision DVD players. Currently using a DVPNS900 through it to great effect...but that's moving upstairs for the LCD TV.

4. CrazyHorse

CrazyHorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +306
    multiregionmagic.co.uk sell both the Panny S35 and the Panny DMR-E50 and have a VCR Mode option (which translates as Macro Disabled), although you do have to pay extra for it.

I bought the S35 with VCR Mode from them a couple of months ago and was very happy with the player and their service.

Not sure if VCR Mode option is available on the E50, though.

Hope this is of some help.

5. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Try http://www.dvdmagic.net/ They do fully chipped machines with Macro option on some machines they call it VCR Friendly or Multiregion+, could not see the Panasonic’s on there but might be worth a call.

6. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    You may be able to cure the macrovision sensitivity by making an adjustment in the service menu. Basically find out how to get into the service menu then write down all names and values then search the internet to find out what each menu option does. At least one option should be about sync and how to increase and decrease sensitivity. Many televisions suffer a bit from macrovision from slight contrast/brightness variations which may only occure every 5 minutes or every 5 seconds. Also big explosions on dvds where the screen goes from dark to bright are often handled better on televisions without macrovision enabled on the dvd player. I must admit I find macrovision bloody annoying and as televisions age and their tolerances aren't as good electronically macrovision can have a greater effect.

7. Fuel Crusher

Fuel Crusher
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I second the s35 from multiregionmagic, the machine is vcr and dvd friendly so not only will you cure your tv problem but it is also handy for timeshifting borrowed/rented dvds. I have the E-30 which this works perfectly on so I should think it'll be the same on the E-50.
    Cheers
    FC