March 2006 Photo Competition - Launch and Discussion

stevegreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After another really close vote and a total of over 85 voters SSB nicked the winning vote at the last minute so congratulations to you :clap:

Thanks as always goes out to all that have managed to find time to get out there and take a picture for the February competition, there were some really good entries and I was surprised that the voting highlighted just two main contenders from the 45 entries.

On with business.

The theme chosen for the March competition is RAW

Entries need to be submitted in the Competition forum here, just start a new thread and either attach you entry or embed it into the post, but please make sure that all entries meet the requirements posted here.

Entries will be accepted until last thing on Monday 27th March when voting will commence to find the winner.

Good luck to all!

Ahoy anyone!

Please can the subject for March be explained a little (cos I'm fik)!

Is RAW referring to the type of photo a camera can take or simply a subject title, e.g; taking a photo of something that is raw?

Have a nice day y'all . . . :D

An unusual subject for this months theme though I have a feeling they'll be a lot of food shots.

RAW

1. Uncooked: raw meat.
2. Being in a natural condition; not processed or refined: raw wool.
3. Untrained and inexperienced: raw recruits.
4. Recently finished; fresh: raw plaster.
5. Having subcutaneous tissue exposed: a raw wound.
6. Inflamed; sore: a raw throat.
7. Unpleasantly damp and chilly: raw weather.
8. Cruel and unfair: a raw punishment.
9. Outspoken; crude: a raw portrayal of truth.
10. Powerfully impressive; stark: raw beauty; raw talent.
11. Nude; naked.

Ignore the last description!!! :devil: :eek: :rotfl:

And the Thesaurus definitions

Pirate!! said:
Ahoy anyone!

Please can the subject for March be explained a little (cos I'm fik)!

Is RAW referring to the type of photo a camera can take or simply a subject title, e.g; taking a photo of something that is raw?

Have a nice day y'all . . . :D

Interpretation is purely up to you mate ;)

Already got the first shot posted, Raw meat ;)

stevegreen said:
RAW

1. Uncooked: raw meat.
2. Being in a natural condition; not processed or refined: raw wool.
3. Untrained and inexperienced: raw recruits.
4. Recently finished; fresh: raw plaster.
5. Having subcutaneous tissue exposed: a raw wound.
6. Inflamed; sore: a raw throat.
7. Unpleasantly damp and chilly: raw weather.
8. Cruel and unfair: a raw punishment.
9. Outspoken; crude: a raw portrayal of truth.
10. Powerfully impressive; stark: raw beauty; raw talent.
11. Nude; naked.

Ignore the last description!!! :devil: :eek: :rotfl:

And the Thesaurus definitions

Hopefully people will ignore another raw thing - raw sewerage! :D

Now then!

Is RAW WAR? It could be! Apart from 2 week old uncooked bacon rashers left outside, complete with penicillin growth on them, can the subject title spelling be reversed (mirror mode) to create a kind of tangent to proceedings?

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits!

You can interpret the theme any way you see fit, though it might be worth making sure you explain your interpretation just so others 'get' it :)

cheers thought i was going blind there for a second

I thought I'd give it a go this month, but I had a slight "issue" while setting up...

I walked away for 2 minutes:eek:

I'll have to come up with something different now... This was RAW cotton, on blue cotton background..

Attachments

• DSC07987 reduced.jpg
    DSC07987 reduced.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC07988 reduced.jpg
    DSC07988 reduced.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC07990 reduced.jpg
    DSC07990 reduced.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 37
This was RAW cotton, on blue cotton background..

Classic. Bloomin cats!!!

Anyway, how are you getting on with your new SONY beast?

Looks great from what I have seen! Get some example pics in the share thread please :)

I really like the R1.

I've moved up from an Ixus v3, so quite a step up.

I agree with all the reviews I've read. Every one agrees that it's a stonking camera, but the rest is up to personal choice. The large chip really makes the difference...

I've not really taken the camera out because I've not got a case for it. I'm getting one from Japan (original sony leather case) and then I'll be more confident with lugging it around and getting some pics up here...

agree with all the reviews I've read. Every one agrees that it's a stonking camera, but the rest is up to personal choice. The large chip really makes the difference...

Nice one. I handled one in town and was suitably impressed. Some very useful features. Would be nice to see a pic on full zoom, to see quality etc.

Pete.

Point of discussion for you - I like this theme, but how much does the theme play a part when it comes to the voting? It's purely a personal point of view, but only one or two entries seem 'raw' to me and as such, my voting choice is limited to those two. Or does everyone just vote for the nicest picture and forgets the theme?

My entry is on its way by the way ;) :rotfl:

Point of discussion for you - I like this theme, but how much does the theme play a part when it comes to the voting? It's purely a personal point of view, but only one or two entries seem 'raw' to me and as such, my voting choice is limited to those two. Or does everyone just vote for the nicest picture and forgets the theme?

This has been an issue for a while and in my opinion last months close voting was a prime example. The picture of the flower 'looking up' to the sun hardly constituted the theme but people liked it and voted. Personally, I did not see it as a looking up picture as good as it was. My guitar picture was similar too in that i had spent the afternoon 'looking up' the neck during its service and the idea came to me.

So I suppose its about how the voters see and feel the picture too and ultimately maybe it is the picture that wins it?

As I have said from the moment RAW was announced, this is a tricky theme and I was expecting every shot to be a joint of beef, so credit to all who have at least attempted something even if it is tenuous, mine as an example.

I was going to take a picture of a turd but thought it would look crap :rotfl:

Pete.

barongreenback said:

My entry is on its way by the way ;) :rotfl:
I concur. Very tenuous entries IMHO this month (my own included - possibly). If you take out the interpretation aspect, there's not much left photo quality wise to choose from either.

Tough one!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom