Marble slab

installer09

Ex Member
Reaction score
Hi guys , im going to try my srata 3 on a slab , would a slab of marble do the same job? thought it would look better and not be as dusty as a paving slab.

If it has a similar weight it should be just as good. Perceived wisdom is to have one on top as well to eke out the last ounce of potential.

Surely granite or marble will do just as good as a paving slab - and they do look nicer, too!

You can have them made to order with polished surface and sides and the (upper) edges "broken" (not sure what's the correct term in English).

Ok stoopid question coming up....what effect generally does mounting a sub on a slab do? (my room has carpet currently).

I have a downward firing sub (strata II) and wall firing sub (Q-bass 50).

Hi Guys,
I don't know if it's common knowledge about this tip but a few weeks ago I put a 20kg stone ontop of my strata 3. WOW!!:eek: I was amazed at the difference, I am still amazed at the bass I'm now getting.
The bass is very well defined and very very deep.

The reasoning i think is this: Is it newton's law, for every action there is an opposite equal action. So when the strata's speaker moves up and down the stone keeps it locked down on the floor.

I don't really know how the surface of the floor can improve the sound. I have marble floors (you can see my set up from the link below) in the flat so I can't say how carpet would sound. I guess having a hard surface below the sub keeps the bass focused and not diffused by the carpet.

I would strongly suggest you try the stone ontop - you'll be amazed as I was/am

marc :D

I'm no subwoofer expert... in fact, I know "jack" about it, but if you put a marble/concrete slab under the subwoofer, doesn't that defeat the object of having subwoofer in the first place? Or am I completely wrong?

It's the same principle as with ordinary speakers which perform their best on solid, rigid stands.

Originally posted by Ian J
It's the same principle as with ordinary speakers which perform their best on solid, rigid stands.

What about downward-firing ones?

If you place the sub on a slab do you remove the spikes first so it's flush with the slab?

Originally posted by monkeyWRENCH
What about downward-firing ones?

especially for them & remove the extra metal spikes. Also, I've used blue-tac to stop the wrobbling. With another slab ontop of the sub.

marc :)

Originally posted by Apocalypse
If you place the sub on a slab do you remove the spikes first so it's flush with the slab?

Not if there is no room for the driver to fire. My REL Storm has rubber feet and you can put spikes into them if you wish, but even without there is enough clearance.

O.K. - another stupid question - where can I get marble slabs cut for the top of my sub?

Also, does anyone have any idea what kind of cost marble is by the sqaure foot?

Brad

Paving slab is just as good - perhaps covered in some kind of fabric.

Marble is expensive.

Stupid question number 2.........
I do not have a downward firing sub will a slab help me as I have carpets over floor boards.

In a word - yes. As I mentioned earlier, putting a sub on a concrete block has the same effect as putting speakers on sturdy rigid stands.

Putting a block on top increases the rigidity of the box. I would imagine that if you could find some way of clamping two paving slabs to the sides of the sub it would increase the quality of the sound even more as well as cost you your marriage.

I would imagine that if you could find some way of clamping two paving slabs to the sides of the sub it would increase the quality of the sound even more as well as cost you your marriage.

O yes, Ian.....here we are all talking about concrete slabs and how quickly we forgot about the wife factor. :)

By the way, Uncle Eric also suggested rubber under the slab and inbetween the slab and the sub. Stops resonance or sometihng.........:rolleyes:

Concrete slab on the bottom, concrete slab on the top, both suspended from rubber mounts? Sound familiar, I know, you've just described my washing machine :)

Concrete slab on the bottom, concrete slab on the top, both suspended from rubber mounts? Sound familiar, I know, you've just described my wife :)

Ive just ordered 3 slabs of granite , 1 for the sub, 1 for the dvd player and another for my power amp , I got 20mm thick for the dvd player and amp , and 30mm thick for the slab. I will let you know how it all sounds when its set up.

... increase the quality of the sound even more as well as cost you your marriage.

Concrete slab on the bottom, concrete slab on the top, both suspended from rubber mounts? Sound familiar, I know, you've just described my wife

I'm not too quick on the uptake but i think I'm seeing a trend here :D

... but if you put a marble/concrete slab under the subwoofer, doesn't that defeat the object of having subwoofer in the first place?

Why? I mean other people have a concrete floor below the sub ... what would they do?
Else your assumption would mean you have to hang it from the ceiling (don't laugh, there are people who do exactly that!) ... :D

I've just ordered an ATC Concept 2 sub. This is a downward-firing sub with a built-in base, with the main box positioned above it (www.atc.gb.net for images). Is it likely a concrete slab would do anything for this sub? Presumably the built-in base does exactly what the slab would be doing?

(Plus, the thing weighs 46kg so it's not like it's going to be shifting about the place! :D)

Dunc

installer09

Where did you order your granite slabs from and how much? Does the cost include polishin the top and sides?

I ordered them from a local stone mason, the granite is black and the top and sides are polished , they look really nice . The cost was £70 .

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom