1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marble or a tile

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by rjcowan, Dec 19, 2002.

1. rjcowan

rjcowan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have a wooden floor and with the sub sitting on the wooden floor it eats up the bass. I hav been told before about putting a marble slab under it. These are not easy to come by but would a tile be just as good. also do you but rubber feet on the marble/tile or just lay it straight onto the floor?

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    To be effective you will need to place something as heavy and solid as possible under the sub. A tile probably wouldn't be of use.

3. jflynn

jflynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wickes(and others no doubt) do granite tiles about 18" square for approx £6(very heavy).They are about half an inch thick so two or three of those bonded together would give a marble slab a run for its money.

4. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes to the rubber feet (sheet rubber maybe better) and the denser and thicker the material the better.

from recent investigation into purchasing a granite slab I discovered they were bloody expensive but have managed to find a slate slab cheap about an inch and a half thick, which isn't really thick enough but like I said it was cheap.

it sounds like you may benefit from putting a duplicate slab on top of your sub as well to hold it in place.

Paving slabs from all the usual DIY stores are perfect but some people can't stand the look of them.

5. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I use paving slabs to good effect, just painting them the same colour as the carpet...with car paint and lacquer.
    I've found spikes, on the base of the slab bring futher benefits...too.

spence

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    All of these are OK...but nothing beats spikes,if the sub has fitting for them.....and bed the spikes into the floor really well...also repeat that a while after fitting and using using....everything tends to loosen after a while.

7. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    spikes dug into the wooden floor would surely transmit vibrations wouldn't they? Plus I doubt many people would want to make spike holes in their wooden floor.
    I use hefty spikes for my AV rack on a carpeted floor and may use some on my sub slab but if I had a wooden floor I would go with rubber feet

8. rjcowan

rjcowan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    So we are all agreed that I require a slab or paving stone 2-3 inches thick and a layer of rubber or rubber feet to go on the bottom of the slab/paving stone.
    This is going to be fun to find.

Ann Summers for the rubber and a funeral home for the marble - great.

I think i may go for a paving slab and paint it black, as for the rubber feet I am looking into it.

Thanks for the advice

9. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
    i was recently told that if you screw some phillips head screws into the floor and then sit your spikes in the screws, this tightens up bass dramatically. has anyone tried this, i wouldn't dare as i value my realtionship with my wife:blush:

10. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I use to use a penny under each spike to prevent damage to the woodblock....without sacrificing sound quality to any extent, that i could hear.
    Throw the boat out and use 50p under eack spike if you're after the ultimate though. :)

spence

11. Charlie Whitehouse

Charlie Whitehouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got these under my Martin Logans. Be aware that they are smooth on one side and very rough on the other. I would suggest using the rough side down with a layer of thin (thinner the better) felt stuck to it to avoid massacring the wooden floor surface. Any kind of rubber feet will only allow the speaker to rock which defeats the whole object. ;)

12. jasonb

jasonb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a thought would I get any benefits in sound quality by covering 2 paving slabs in felt and putting one underneath the sub and one on top. Also does anyone knoe if any of the DIY stores will cut the slab to the exact size so to make it a bit more pleasing to the eye. I'm currently using a sevo 15 which is quite large already and rectange in shape.

13. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know at least one forum member has already covered top and bottom paving slabs in felt and reported that it work fine. the stone cutting appears to be the most expensive thing about stone.
    I wanted a circular granite disc, about two-three inches thick for my circular Gallo sub to sit on and give it something solid to fire off of, squares of granite would have been much, much cheaper.

14. installer09

installer09
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got granite slabs cut at a stone masons , one piece 30m thick for under my sub and two pieces 20mm thick for under my dvd player and amp , cost £70 . Apparently Granite is better than marble as it has a more uniform consistancy.