1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MarantzvSR4300-click, crackle & pop?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Bob Mitchum, Mar 12, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Bob Mitchum

Bob Mitchum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know the dreaded sound drop-outs and clicks with the SR4200. I just want to know whether it's the same problem I'm getting with the SR4300. Whenever I watch a movie DTS or DD, I'm getting crackling sounds from the left speaker. Take the pod race in phantom menace. There is no loss in sound, and it always happens at the same places. I've changed speakers, digital cable, and it's still there. The gladiator amphitheatre Carthage battle scene is another example. Fellow SR4300 users, do you have this problem?

I purchased the amp from RS, and have got a week to return it.
    I could go for the Yamaha 630, but looking at it's instruction manual, it does not have source direct or tone defeat, something I want to listen to 2ch music.

I really do not want to part with this SR4300, particularly as I've bought it without the missus knowing. She hasn't noticed that I've changed my amp from the Nak AV8. If I get another replacement, I think she might get suspicious!!!:devil: :suicide:

2. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no such problems with mine mate. could it be your player or the disc itself?

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    There's a few possibilities.....since it always happens at the same places in certain films,one of the most likely is that you're either clipping the amp at that point,or the speaker is being overloaded(or both).
    Another possibility is damage to the left speaker,or a loose connection/bolt somewhere.

Its unlikely to be a fault further back in the digital input as you would expect that to produce dropouts on both channels.

May be useful to know what speakers you use,and at what sort of level.

4. IanW1977

IanW1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +487
    My 4200 does this too In Terminator 2
    The Rear Right Speaker starts crackling.
    Think it's just the Film/DVD though as It doesn't do it in anything else

5. Mawny

Mawny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    same here ! I get occasional clicks in my left speaker only from digital sources ( ie dvd player and if l listen to cd through digital connection) on my Sr4300.

I was about to spend this weekend reconnecting/moving my amp and swapping the left speaker around for the right. :- I thought it may be due to my left speaker being nearest to the amp itself. So its interesting to see other people suffering similarly.

I have Kef eggs and listen at reasonable levels.

6. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Mines ok,

I only get the 2 sec sound problem when in auto mode, and haven't heard any clicks yet ??

Just had a quick blast on pod race clip, and my amp seems to ok without pops & clicks. I don't have the Gladiator disc, so i can't try that scene.

Which speaker does the click come from ?? Front or Rear ??

Cheers

Cosmic023

7. Mawny

Mawny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mines front left "Egg". ONLY on digital sources ( 2 seperate players DVD and CD) connected with different cables. Which i guess discounts the cable or either machine.

If i switch to analog connection on the CD , at the same volume , no clicks at all. No clicks from digital telly (NTL) connected by analog cables either.

This would point the problem to either the amp or speaker, and because I watch sky movies and listen to analog music at similar volume levels it would discount the clipping theory (?)

The speaker is nearest to the amp - about 6 inches to the left and 7 inches higher than the amp ( its on Kef stands, the amp top platform on my rack).

This weekend i intend to check my connections at the back. move the amp to the bottom of my equipment rack to distance it from the speaker, and swap the left and right eggs around to try and isolate the problem. I will report back .....

8. Bob Mitchum

Bob Mitchum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for ur replies. it's the rear left speaker I'm having problems with. i'm using mission 700's for the rears. I replaced them with a pair of naff kenwood speakers and the same problem was occurring. they're set at 2DB and the problem arises at any substantial volume.

I'm gonna connect up my existing amp to the speakers, to see whether it's the Marantz at fault. I can live with the 2 second delay and the naff remote control (which seems to have a mind of its own). Just when i'm happy with the set up that I've got, something irksome always happens!!!!!:mad: :confused:

9. Bob Mitchum

Bob Mitchum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tried my existing amp, and the pod race was fine. Definitely not the speakers then. Phoned my local rs no yamaha 630 in stock. Perhaps due to arrival of 640. SR4300 not in stock either. Oh well, I'll have to wait for a new batch to arrive or otherwise get it fixed under warranty. Is it worth me getting another SR4300 or do u think the same problems will arise?:lesson: :(

10. Dom36

Dom36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I think this must be a fault with the SR4300.
    I too have the front left problem, seems like theres nothing we/I can do except get a new amp.
    I only get it at very low volumes however - -71dB to -55dB ish...
    If anyone is around from this post let me know.
    My AOL name is the same as my name on here...

11. IanW1977

IanW1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +487
    Luckily I took out an Extra 3 Year Guarentee.

It seems to occur in DTS only and when u Pause the DVD and unPauseit at the high Volume.

12. Dom36

Dom36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    You coule be onto something there Ian as a cause of this...
    I reguallay play music very loud and skip tracks or restart tracks still at the high volumes - this means the music is just stopped then started again at a high volume so I wonder if thats whats done it as i've only noticed it recently ...
    Be interesting to hear from the other posters in this board again...

13. blue_harvester

blue_harvester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is another thread on these forums regarding problems with this receiver. Apparently Marantz are aware of this problem and are 'moding' the receivers. There will be a green sticker on the rear of the receiver near to the serial number. Mine does not have this sticker so I don't know if this is true or not. I don't have any problems with my receiver, apart from the issue of setting the rears to 'Large'. I suggest you search for the other thread.

14. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I had a very similar issue with both speakers on my first 5300, when playing with Dolby EX turned on and sub turned off, I assume it was digital corruption of the signal when being passed from Sub to speaker circuits, It was swapped by the dealer and no problem now.

15. IanW1977

IanW1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +487
    So as mine is only 8 moths old, Will they repair my current amp, Exhange it for an SR4200 - Or Echange it for the SR4300 ??

16. Dom36

Dom36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I got Master Care onto mine now.
    Mines 9 month old so we'll see what they do...