Marantz with B&W Speaker setup issues

tomres

Novice Member
Hi,

Looking for some troubleshooting tips as I cant get my subwoofer going, here's my setup:
  • Marantz 7500 amp
  • B&W DM603 left & right speaker
  • B&W LCR600 centre speaker
  • B&W ASW650 subwoofer
  • Sony Bravia TV
TV is connected to the Amp via a Fibre Optic cable.
All the speakers are connected to the Amp via good quality cables.

When I go into the speaker setup from the Marantz amp menu all speakers are enabled and when I setup their individual volume db level (all from the amp menu), I can hear audio coming from each individual speakers (incl. the subwoofer). This tells me the cables are fine and the connections themselves are fine and all the speakers are fine - would you agree?

However, when I play a surround sound sample off you tube, or play a DTS/Dolby Digital enhanced movie (e.g. Star Wars), all the speakers work, except the subwoofer - its dead quiet.

What is also interesting is that the Marantz amp has a little display in the front, and I recall it used to show up all the connected speakers as little icons in the display.
Its now only showing the Left and Right speakers. It doesn't show the Centre speaker (even though its working), and not showing the subwoofer (which is not working).

I'm hoping someone on these forums has experience with similar hardware and will be able to advise me on how to move forward (as I must be missing something from all the manuals I have read).

Thank you,
Tom

PS. this entire system was working not that long ago, but we moved house, and I've just unpacked everything (I even have the photos of how everything was connected before).

gibbsy

However, when I play a surround sound sample off you tube, or play a DTS/Dolby Digital enhanced movie (e.g. Star Wars), all the speakers work, except the subwoofer - its dead quiet.
You Tube is stereo only. The centre and sub will not be active unless you have engaged the upmixing modes. If the subwoofer is silent with DTS a Dolby then does the sub have a sleep setting on the tumbler switch, if so set it to on. Looking at your speaker set up are you just running 3.1?

Spick72

If the centre has not shown up in could be as simple as being in stereo mode, try changing the movie mode to Dolby

tomres

Novice Member
Hi,

Thank you for the feedback.

I decided to try a few different things.
I connected just my PS4 via same Fibre Optic cable to the Amp - it worked.
I connected just my Satellite decoder via same Fibre Optic cable to the Amp - it worked.
I also connected my Satellite decoder via digital audio cable to the Amp - it worked.

So the problem seems to be with my Sony Bravia KDL-55W800A which only has one output port: fibre optic. Nothing else outbound. So odd, as my previous Bravia, now 18 years old has so many inbound/outbound ports it puts the new one to shame. My bad, should have checked these things when I bought this TV.

Nevertheless, I will take a look at the Bravia's Sound Output Settings, hopefully I will find the magic settings.

Thanks again.

Cheers

Last edited:

gibbsy

Look in the TV's audio set up. You'll need to set it to either bitstream or Dolby Digital. It looks as though at the moment it's outputting PCM only.

tomres

Novice Member
Hi,

Quick update.

PS4 and Satellite decoder connected to TV via HDMI.
TV connected to Amp via Fibre Optic cable (that's the only option I have outbound from the TV).

Gibbsy, as you suggested, I checked all the settings again.

First config change was on the Satellite Decoder - changed outbound sound from Stereo to Dolby Digital.

Then, my TV has either 'TV Speaker' or 'Audio System' as a the audio out option (not both).
Setting it to 'Audio System', along with the previous Decoder setting ensured that I now have surround sound configured and working!

Thank you so much for your time and advice :)

Case Closed.

PS. Yes, I'm running in 3.1 at the moment as I still have to mount and run the wires for the B&W DS6 S3 speakers.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom