1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz VP12S1 - demo & owners?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by simon1967, Jul 7, 2002.

1. simon1967

simon1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I am changing from a Seleco 400HT CRT projector to a DLP model. Had demos on the Yamaha (rainbows), Sim2 200 (rainbows), Sim2 300 (too much noise). After reading a few reviews, I am keen on getting a demo on the Marantz VP12. I am based in SE London / Kent area - anyone seen one in action and how much are the street prices.

The reason I am moving away from the Sim2 projectors is that I find it amazing that people accept the amount of wheel noise that these machines put out. For a £9000 machine and more than a few people have to build hush boxes for them is really not right. Granted the picture is amazing but if other manufacturers using the same colour wheels and chips manage to make them quiet(ish), why can't Sim2? :confused:

2. MikeC

MikeC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    simon1967

see my review here plus pics regarding this pj.

It isn't super quiet (claimed 32db IIRC) - you can only hear the wind noise. No fan or colour wheel sounds.

RRP is £7000 but someone told me it is available discounted to approx £6200.

Alternatively, someone recently posted a note saying they had bought one on ebay (US) for considerably less.

3. simon1967

simon1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for that. Did you compare to the Sim2 projectors and how was the noise and pictures? Where did you get a demo and where did you buy from eventually? Where are the discounted models available from?

Sorry for all the inane questions but thanks again.

4. Paul Hayward

Paul Hayward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    Hi Simon,

If you want a review that compares the HT300 with the Marantz then go to the AVSForum and do a search on the name FlatusM. There is a long and contentous thread about the pro's and cons of each. You need to be aware of the quality control issues with the Marantz ie Bulb flicker, power supply problems and software issues that can cause odd behaviour from the pj. Make sure that you ensure a good returns policy if you hit difficulties. The bottom line on picture quality is that there is probably only small differences between the three HD1 pj's. Therefore it comes down to taste and features. The HT300, in my opinion, has a look that is closest to a good CRT with stunning red and a glorious 6000hr lamp life. The Sharp and Marantz have their own image signitures and personally I could live with all of them. If noise is an issue for you, then the Sharp fed by a DVD progressive signal or the Marantz fed interlace(with the caveates above) are exceptional alternatives. Whatever you do, try to get to see the pj before buying. I wish you good luck,

Best Wishes,

Paul H

5. Technophobe

Technophobe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep agree with all that but do check-out the sharp 9000 it's pretty quiet and if fed progressive is very close to the Marantz in picture quality and is a little brighter too.
    I here these can be imported for under four grand reading some of the posts on here.

Technophobe

6. carrera2rs

carrera2rs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is a Marantz review in this months Stereophile Guid to Hometheater. a very, very thorough review infact. This mag is very cool and they do their homework and set ups, check all of the settings and plot graphs on grey scale tracking etc.

The outcome was a slightly better picture giving slightly increased clarity and sharpness. This was ONLY noticeable on back to back comparisons and subtle. However there appeared to be a lot more scaling artefacts than any of the other 1289x720 DLP chip machines. This seemed problematic and the reviewer was not happy with this attribute on the Yamaha. Interestingly in America it is $1,500 more expensive than the Sharp !

A link I have been investigating regarding imports is www.avdaniel.com. You will need to add duty 20%, vat 17.5% and freight $180. The total is around £4.5k for the Sharp !

I don't know anyone as yet who has gone through the process

Adrian:p

7. Bonzer Belle

Bonzer Belle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, I'm the guy who bought it from US EBay. Very very pleased so far. I can give you the details if you wish. Must admit to have been frightened off by the stories (true stories) of import duties etc, which would have added around another 1,400 pounds to my purchase. I was fortunate enough to have a friend in the States, so the seller sent it there. After the money was wired, my buddy in Texas got it 3 days later! I travel a lot, and so I had plenty of air miles to use up. I travelled to Houston with a BIG case and with loads of extra polystyrene foam chips, I entrusted it to the hold of the plane. Collected my bag at Gatwick, and went home........no charges. At the end of it all, I had a mini holiday and a new projector for 4,600 pounds.......actually, a bit less. In the States, the official one can be had for $8,999 if you search around, maybe a little less. I was quoted 9,000 pounds here! Or I could have an imported one for 6,600 pounds with a bit of haggling at the time. The 2k saving bought me my Denon 3802 , Sony 9000ES DVD player and the most part of my little KEF speaker system......not "state of the art", but good enough for me. I can't give you any technical analysis........all i can say is "I'm very contented with my purchase". I want to believe I got a bargain, but in reality, I think I paid "enough". Overall, 7k for a home cinema is what I could afford, and I got what I believe to be a good system without it being the latest or the greatest....but then again, I paid nothing like the latest or the greatest price.

8. simon1967

simon1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Had a look for this mag in WH Smiths and no luck. Know anywhere I can get this magazine or is an online version available?

Thanks

9. carrera2rs

carrera2rs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't remember where I picked it up from. The web site is www.guidetohometheater.com The magazine importer was MMC and it is the current August edition.

If you have no luck I might be able to send you a photocopy

Rgds
    Adrian:D

10. homethx

homethx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    wh smith will order it for if you ask nicely . but will have to get it for a year

11. MikeC

MikeC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Its quite expensive here (about £4 per issue when I've seen it in WH Smiths).

If anyone's serious, suggest they order from USA (they take Visa).
    I sent my order via snail mail as last time I looked, their web-site (SGHT) claimed to deliver anywhere in the known universe but the actual shipping options page only listed USA and Canada....

It works out at approx 15 Dollars for a year plus 15 dollars shipping. Ie approx £2 per mag. Quite cheap really !