1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz SR9200

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by paul3_uk, Dec 11, 2002.

Tags:
  1. paul3_uk

paul3_uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am thinking of buying this amp but can't find many reviews on it.

Does anyone out there own one? and if so, can you give me a quick review of the unit (sound quality, any problems, etc)?

Is the additional £500 price tag on top of the 8200 really worth it?

Does anyone know of any on-line reviews?

Any info would be greatly appreciated ......

2. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Home Cinema Choice reviewed it in the December issue.

They said it was ok, but lacked some features, like DTS 96/24

Sound got 4/5
    Features 3/5
    Build Quality 4/5
    Overall 4/5

It didn't get a best buy tag, but like someone told me on here, "don't trust reviews". Try and get a demo and listen for yourself. What might be your taste, might not be their's.

I was thinking of buying this amp myself, but bought a Denon AVC-A11SR instead, and I'm well pleased.

JD

3. paul3_uk

paul3_uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info John-D.

Why didn't you buy the SR9200? Did you audition the unit you have now against the Marantz? Why did you go for the Denon?

I am interested in your views (I know its all down to personal taste, but sometimes the more opinions you have of a product, you can usually get a feel for whether it is a good buy or not).

Thanks in advance ....

Paul.

4. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya Paul

No, I didn't hear the Marantz against the Denon. It's just that my last amp was a Denon AVC-A1, so I sort of new what the product could do. Also, Home Cinema Choice gave the Denon AVC-A11SR a "Reference Status" stamp of quality, with 5/5 on every subject.

When I went to hear the Denon, in the shop, I didn't think the A11SR would improve that much sound-wise over my old amp. Well I couldn't of been more wrong, it totally wipes the floor with the old AVC-A1. But for all I know, the Marantz could of sounded better. I would of liked to have heard it, but the shop never stocked any. I'm gonna be honest, I don't think it would of, sound-wise.

I've always found HCC's reviews, to be honest and straight. I've always gone and bought their magazine to read their reviews for speakers or amps that I've wanted to buy. And I've never been let down.

Hey, but maybe one day! There's always a first time for everything.

JD

5. paul3_uk

paul3_uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :blush:
    John,

Sorry to bother you again, but ....

Do you have the HCC magazine that reviewed the SR-9200, and if so, would it be possible to create a pdf, send a scan(s) or OCR the text of the review pages and e-mail them to me?

I know its a bit cheeky, but I am looking to purchase in the next week (can buy new for £1300 - limited time) and it would be an enormous help ....

If not can you give me a quick low-down on what they said about the Movie side of things (particularly the sound steering and bass reproduction) ... I know that the stereo reproduction is pretty good ....

grovel, grovel .....

6. paul3_uk

paul3_uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John,

Ignore that last request (I think..).

Have just seen in the shops a "home cinema choice year book 6" that contains a review of the sr9200. I assume that this is a reprint of the review in the december isuue that you mentioned.

It is certainly a more objective/positive review than what hi-fi gave it ....

As you say, its all down to personal preference ....

7. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya Paul

Sorry the reply is late.

That is the same review that's in the Dec 02 edition.

I'm glad you had a chance to read the review, but if you're asking me, £1300 sounds a good price and you can always upgrade the amp to THX Ultra2.

But like I said, listen for yourself, that's the best test.

Enjoy,

John