1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz SR7500 with Castle speakers?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Upgrade King, Feb 23, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Upgrade King

Upgrade King

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A question hopefuly Kazman can answer,
    I am almost sold on a Marantz sr7500 (Denon 3805 and Yamaha 2500 also in the ring) i am running the Castle compact system at the moment and am wondering if the Marantz will compliment them or the overall sound will be too smooth?
    Thanks for any advise.

2. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Musical sat sub system with musical amp should be a good match. I haven't heard the castle/marantz combo, but the Castles 'should' go with the Marantz quite well. My SR7500 impresses me more each day :D

The SR7500 should hold its own against the other two amps you mention, but the amp in the same class as those two is the SR8500, not the SR7500 :) (RXV1500 and 2805 are the same class as the SR7500 as far as I know). Although saying that, it is rare to notice much difference stepping one level up anyway :)

3. Upgrade King

Upgrade King

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Kazman, if i could find the 8500 for closer to £800 i would be looking at that one, plenty of discounts on the other 2 amps but Marantz seems to be sticking to rrp's.
    Another question please, do you find there is plenty of detail and dynamics?

4. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Lots and Lots :):)

5. Upgrade King

Upgrade King

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice - thanks Kazman

6. Upgrade King

Upgrade King

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Buying the sr 7500 is not as easy as it sounds, i cannot find any retailer actually stocking it for demo purposes, my local dealer has ordered one from Marantz UK on loan so i can actually here it in action, have to wait until at least Wednesday though before it arrives - if anyone knows of a retailer with any in stock for demo please let me know and i might travel this weekend.

7. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Whereabouts are you Upgrade King? You are more than welcome to have a listen to mine if you so wish?

EDIT: Just noticed you will get yours on Wed for a home demo, unfortunately I'm not free until the 8th to do any demos :(

8. Upgrade King

Upgrade King

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the offer anyway Kazman, i'm approx 155 miles from you, i used to work in your neck of the woods a few years ago - i will let u know how i get on with the demo.

9. abnett26247

abnett26247
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is just what i have been saying in the dvd forums and today getting a insulting reply from some nice guy insulting me for me saying the marantz gear seems unavailable and imho the chepo 4500 of poor value and a light cheap looking item ,but i have an opinion and its true imho, but imho, but the interesting thing i found and mentioned was that i could not find many marantz dealers who stocked marantz gear and even some who told me the brand is a no no for many resons,one well known chain i contacted even told me" marantz dont go there" ie poor availability and poor after sales / support, also that the cheaper stuff is cr...p and even the expensive gear was clones in marantz clothes ? so is the brand on its way out ? :eek:

10. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    I agree, it is difficult to get demos of Marantz gear, main reason for this is that they don't feature in magazines that much anymore, hence the demand isn't as high and the what hi fi reading brigade only want the 5 star models that they say are worth it (look at how many 5 star denon amps there are and compare them to your 1014 as an example, they give the 2014 a 4 star rating :eek: ).

Many dealers will only have instock items that have had a good review in popular magazines as they know those are the items that people will be coming in to ask to listen to, just the way it is unfortunately. Doesn't mean the brand is on the way out, just that their marketing team in the UK is a bit poor imho :).

I know Marantz had a few quality control issues after they moved a lot of their production to China from Japan, but I believe this has now been rectified as quality control has been shifted back to Japan while production remains in China.

Similar situation with Onkyo, they rarely advertise or submit their amps for review, and therefore it is difficult to find them.

Marantz may get even more difficult to find as I believe they are doing a KEF and only allowing in store purchases of their equipment. Tiz the way the cookie crumbles unfortunately, but those that sought out Marantz do it for a specific reason, they want something different to the norm, like Saab drivers don't want to be one of the BMW brigade (no offence to BMW drivers :D ), if you want a more laid back hi-fi sound, then Marantz is one of the better ones along with NAD, Rotel and Arcam.

Hope this helps matey :)

11. miguelbarroso

miguelbarroso
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have to agree that Marantz in Europe hasn't been very happy with their Marketing strategics. In the USA, I think they are far more aggressive. But I'm really fond of the Marantz way of doing products, and the Marantz dealer here in Portugal, although a little "passive", is quite good when it comes to product support.

Finally, just a remark to Abnett - I'm Portuguese, my main language is not English, but even though I'm no expert, I can tell that you could do a little effort in order to improve your writing - It's really hard to understand what you are trying to say!

M.

12. abnett26247

abnett26247
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well senor you are like me maybe my portuguese is not so good i find it hard to understnd si! you conprehendo like you say " marantz dealers a little passive"
    and "marantz way of doing products" can you please explain what you mean senor with respect, thank you.oh if you mean my bad spelling and typing that is because i am dyslectic that is i cant spell very well si.Oh see kasman he is the best by far on here to explain marantz chepo stuff and expensive stuff is possibly cloned why you cant find marantz easily and that it as not very popular as it isnt tested much and the marketing is bad , all the things i was saying but he explains it much better can spell and so sorry you cant understand me i truly missed your meaning as well see above please passive and marantz way of doing products what do you mean please rgrds abnett :hiya:

13. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    What magazine's have you been reading?

Marantz consistantly feature in most of the UK magazines, admittedly they havent featured much in What HiFi recently but are always in What HiFi's sister publication Home Cinema.

14. miguelbarroso

miguelbarroso
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Abnett, I was not attacking you, but have it your way.

M.

15. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Yes, but the only units that tend to get reviewed are the SR5400, SR4400/SR4500 or the non home cinema PM7200 in all its flavours and the CD5400.

Rarely do we see as many models as Denon or Pioneer or Yamaha being reviewed in UK mags, and this is more the fault of Marantz UK's marketing dept than the magazines, as they can only review what they get given.

The SR7400 was only reviewed near the end of its shelf life in Home Cinema Choice, I don't think WHF knew it even existed :).

Home Cinema choice sometimes review Marantz higher end gear, and I believe their number 1 rated integrated is the Marantz SR12S1.

I'd love to see a review of the SR7500 and SR8500, but I am not keeping my hopes up. If you can find reviews of any other Marantz products apart from the SR4400/SR4500, SR5400/OSE, CD5400, PM7200/KI Sig then please please please let me know :) as I would love to see what the publications make of Marantz's current range.

16. abnett26247

abnett26247
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    apology accepted, its ok we are not all perfect me too.,so sorry i am not academic sir, :)

17. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Everybodies input is valuable, as long as we remember to be polite and respect each others views and purchases. Everyone has a different opinion and different tastes.

18. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    A review of the SR8500 will appear in the next issue of Home Cinema in a group test against the Pionner AX10 for one. The SR7500 is currently doing the rounds and will appear in Home Cinema shortly as well as Home cinema Choice and What Home cinema.

The DV9500 will be covered in the next issue of Home Cinema Choice.

These has only been available for just over a month. So reviews are yet to appear.

19. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Excellent, I look forward to reading these :) not a big fan of Home Cinema, don't like their layouts and their reviews are quite confusing to read as a result, but at least they are doing some :). I am eager to read Home Cinema Choices thoughts on what I think is a cracking amp :D Thanks for the info :) Bit unfair pitting the SR8500 against the AX10ai though, its rrp is three times that of the SR8500 :eek:

Do you know if we will be getting the SR9600 in the UK Geezer?

20. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    I'll be campaigning outside Padbury Oaks if they don't :clown:.

21. Geezer

Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Sorry AX5. i believe.

Yes the UK will get the 9600 :clap:

22. Upgrade King

Upgrade King

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After having an extended demo session earlier this week i was dissapointed with the sound of the sr7500 BUT....... i wasn't put off, the disapointment was more with my dealer who hadn't set the amp up properly - basically it had been taken out of the box and had the relevent cables attached!
    The sound was obviously missing something, flat ,and the bass wasn't there when it should have been.
    I then listened to the Denon 3805 as a side by side comparison and was enveloped in a 3D soundfields that was full of life, a very forward sound though that in time would become to much for my ears i suspect.
    I obviously left with nothing feeling shortchanged as the Marantz had not been allowed to show what it can do ( suprise suprise, my dealer wanted me to purchase the Denon)- they were both connected to the Mission Elagante system by the way.
    I am now left where i started, i really want to give the Marantz a chance and here it at its best -
    A question or two - 1,seeing as i am prepaired to spend up to £1000 should i be looking more at the sr8500?
    2,Does the Torodial transformer have a significant effect on sound quality?
    Thanks for any help.

23. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Kazman,

Have you tried the Bi-Amp option allready? Any news or results?

24. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Havent tried the bi-amp feature yet, been very busy. Currently in Dubai on hols, and I'm back early Tues morning, truth be told, I have managed to secure a Rotel 985 5 channel power amp for a bargain price, which I'm thinking of using to bi-amp the fronts with :D

As for U.K. and his demo adventures, it really annoys me when a dealer does not give a fair demo like that. I'm assuming they didn't even run the MRAC setup? The 3805's I've heard aren't as good as the SR7500 with music, with movies they are more equal, with my preference falling firmly with the Marantz sound.

If you want to hear a well set up SR7500, the offer is still there to come and listen to mine :) If you still feel the Denon sounds better to your ears, trust your ears :)

25. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Kazman... another thing... do your 21L speaker work well near the wall?

26. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Yup, they work fine, there is enough gap there though, to prevent boom, I tried them stood right up against the wall and they boomed badly, but once I left the gap, they sounded sublime, and still do :D

If anyone needs convincing of the SR7500's ability with music, I urge you to listen to its pure direct mode, it is superb :D

27. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Thanks! Happy holidays! ;)
    The SR7400 was...;)

28. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Yup, the SR7400 is also superb, but the SR7500 really improves the movie side of things a great deal :D :devil:

OH, and U.K. the SR8500 would be a better match against the 3805, sorry I missed that part of your question. The toroidal transformer in the SR7500 hasn't harmed the sound quality imho, to my ears, it is the best sounding amp that I have heard under 800 pounds.

29. Duffers0

Duffers0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The DVi switching really holds the key for me, therefore the SR 8500 is the way to go.

With Sky+ looking to have HDMI out with the new HD version, soon, next receiver upgrade must surely have DVI / HDMI switching??

Currently running my Denon 2910 into NEC VR5 via DVI, preferred over component.

Therefore for the future 2 DVI in 1 out , suits me fine :hiya:

30. Upgrade King

Upgrade King

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Kazman,
    I thought it was only the 8500 that has the Toroidal transformer ?- The americans seem to think that having these greatly enhances sound quality - do you know if there is a significant increase in sound quality or are you paying for dvi switching etc.