1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MarantZ SR7400 - UpConversion Question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Pak!Terr0r, Jan 20, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Pak!Terr0r

Pak!Terr0r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HeLLo aLL,

I just bought the MarantZ SR7400 and currently i am using Video UpConversion feature on it to go to my Pla$ma Tv, Panasonic 42" TH-42PA20U/P. I have my DVD/Cable TV BoX connected to the receiver, and then on receiver i am using MONITOR OUT to the TV. My question is simple,
    Should i keep using above mentioned setup ?
    OR
    Should i connect DVD/Cable TV BoX/VCR connected directly to input on TV ?
    What gives me best video ?

Thanks

2. kumamoto

kumamoto
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hey PAK!Terror

On a totally different subject, how does this smashing receiver perform. I mean with Stereo and home cinema materials. What are your opinions on it ??

As far as your question goes, if you connect your dvd via component to receiver then there is no conversion from one format to the other eg RGB to S-Video, and the picture quality remains the same. However when you connect from your your digibox into your receiver, the picture is converted from rgb into s-video and you may experience a slight degradation.

However video switching is always so tempting that i am happy to live with a minor picture degradation !!

Connect directly, if you must have the best picture.

3. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    With regards to the video conversion [JoeKiragu] you will only be able to feed your receiver with an S-Video, Composite or Component signal, it wont accept RGB, almost none do.
    If feeding it a Component signal it will simply be fed back out untouched (well it should be, but obviously any connections will in some way effect signal quality, but whether it is noticeable is a different question), with a S-Video or Composite feed, then upconversion will turn the signal in to a Component signal but it can't put detail or information in to the signal that wasn't there in the first place, so the picture won't look any better (it may even introduce noise, but hopefully wont) but it can help to simplify connection issues..

Cheers

Ryan :smashin:

4. Pak!Terr0r

Pak!Terr0r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks GuYs,

JoeKiragu, I just bought the receiver, few days back and i love it so far, unfortunately i can't tell you more about it cause i have yet to buy speakers for my home theatre. I got my plasma TV 2 weeks ago, got receiver few days ago, now saving for speakers for couple of weeks so i have enough to buy nice ones for the setup. i will let u know once i have them and how well it works.

rscott4563,
    Thanks for the explanation. Basically since i got my Plasma before everything i did all the cabling before i even bought the receiver cause i had yet to do research as to which one to buy. Once i ran the cables and all i was thinking more about the marantz 5400 receiver. But when i went to the shop, i looked at the 7400 and i found out the upconversion feature and i got off the track and bought it :) ... since i have all the cables already out to the tv it doesn't mean much to me as far as simplifying things ... the only thing i want to make sure is that i get the best of what i got. and if that means having my DVD and CABLE TV BOX directly to the TV via component channels so be it as long as i know i am getting the best picture ;) only reason i ask is cause i never used any receiver before with upconversion feature at all.
    after i bought the receiver i took out some cables cause it was too many :p, now what i have left is 2 component cables ( Monster Video 3 ), 2 S-Video cables, DB15 incase i connect my PC to it, and ofcourse power cable ( i took out composite/coaxial cables ) so cabling wise i don't have to worry since it was already done. i just want to make sure i have the best picture quality and as far as sound is concerned i will be getting speakers soon and i already have a good receiver for it ...

thanks