1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz SR7400 Setup

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by sneaky, Aug 11, 2004.

Tags:
  1. sneaky

sneaky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

I have narrowed my search down to 3 amps - Denon 2805(£535), Marantz SR7400(£490) and Yamaha AX750(£365).

The Yamaha and the Denon have auto setup which I like the sound of. How difficult will it be to setup the SR7400.

Thanks

Chris

Speakers - Castle Compacts - SVS Sub - Sony HS20 - Yamaha 795a - Cambridge Audio 540D - HTPC.

2. SurferDude

SurferDude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chris,

The SR7400 doesn't come with a microphone and auto-setup option, but it does play pink noise in sequence and allow you to adjust individual speaker volumes to balance. If you buy a meter from radio shack for around 30 quid I think then you can use it to set volumes accurately. (There's a post somewhere on this).

I set my SR7400 up by ear in about half an hour out of the box. Love the sound and wouldn't sweat the lack of an automated setup. Remember this is a one off up front requirement and you shouldn't make a big decision on which to buy for a little thing like setup.

I personally rated the Marantz above the Denon and Yammies, hence the recent purchase. I rated it on sound and performance and not on ease of setup. Don't regret the decision one bit.

Cheers,

3. sneaky

sneaky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Surfer,

Which amps did you demo against the 7400.

The 7400 is a fantastic price at the moment.

Chris

4. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    I have the SR7400 as well, and rate it very highly. It has a finesse with dialogue and enough accuracy on the surround steering to be a great movie amp. But musically, it blows almost every other sub 1,000 pound AV amp out of the water.

It doesn't quite have the same degree of snap as the Yamaha or Denon in movies, but the difference isn't much, and to be honest, I prefer the dialogue presentation of the Marantz as it adds so much character to the movies one watches. Anybody can deliver an explosion, but not many can also deliver emotion so convincingly with dialogue.

5. SurferDude

SurferDude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Demo'd against Denon AVR-3803 and Yamaha RXV-1400. It was probably a bit unfair to the 3803 as it was a tad lower priced at RRP over here.

I concur with Kazman on his overall impression. My ears must be a bit dull as I couldn't spot any downside in movies over the Denon or Yamaha, but the musicality of the Marantz was far superior IMHO.

I got my SR7400 for $1700 AUD, but I'd hate to think what "fantastic" price you'd be capable of getting it for. Probably 'cause the SR7500 is due to release soon and hence makes the SR7400 superceded. But TonsOfFun reckons the 7500 doesn't add much to the 7400 so go get one! :thumbsup: (There's another thread on this somewhere).

Cheers

6. Kaleb500

Kaleb500
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think you beat the 7400 for value for money, it really is steal in the UK. Superb for music as already stated.