1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz SR7400 - experience please

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Antpink, Oct 2, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Antpink

Antpink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    I have been looking for an AV Receiver for a little time now - I need to upgrade my 8 year old Boston Acoustics HTIB! So, lots of research and looking later, I have come across a deal - Marantz SR7400 with MS Premiere Plus speaker package (which includes the well reviewed MS309 sub), and 50m QED micro cable all in for S$1600 - or GBP530 - ish (I live in Singapore). This AVR has video upconversion, multi-zone operation and a swish learning remote (the upconversion does not, for some reason, appear on the specs, nor is it included on the UK reviewed version - I know it works 'cause we tested it in the store feeding a composite signal from a DVD and outputting a component :confused: ). Marantz Singapore are trying to shift stock for the new 7500. The speakers are certainly not as good as the amp, but will be a good halfway house solution until we move and the missus can handle having full size speakers dotted around the place.

Question is - has anyone got experience of this amp and how good is it? Good points/bad points.

Also - any comments on the package as a good or bad price deal - seems that for the lot, it beats the same pricing I would get for amp alone in UK.

2. wildone

wildone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Antpink - I upgraded to the 7400 a few months ago (480 pounds from Unbeatable) and have been very impressed. Good points IMO - Dolby PLIIx, excellent backlit learning remote, flexible 5/6/7 speaker setup, multiroom capability (so far unused), good connectivity, solid binding posts for all speakers. Sound quality is a level above my old Yamaha 620 with the Eltaxes and I reckon it'll take at least one more speaker upgrade (probably to M-S Genie sub-sat setup) to really make it sing. M-S speaker packages are tailor-made for Marantz amps (see Tons of Fun postings elsewhere on this forum) and Kazman provided an excellent review of his 7400 a few months ago (apologies for not providing links). My opinions on sound quality are usually confined to "good" or "bad", so I'll say "good" and point you in the direction of Kaz's review. Bad points - it's very deep (463mm from volume control to end of binding posts) and try not to place anything directly on top as it generates a fair bit of heat.
    HTH - I'm sure others will provide their opinions in due course.

3. Peridot

Peridot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    I've recently bought the 7400 and am very pleased with it so far, althought I haven't had the chance to fully put it through its paces. Build quality is excellent and the sound in stereo and multichanel modes far outstrips my previous (fairly low-end) kit. I'd agree with all the points Wildone makes.

The upconversion facility is slightly confusing. I'd read that it didn't have it, yet the manual suggests it does. I've no intention of using the video switching features so I'm not bothered, but I'll give it a try when I get around to it to satisfy my curiosity.

At that price I'd snap it up!

4. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    One of the best for both Music and AV...

Teh one I would buy until now

5. ash71

ash71
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I collected my SR7400 yesterday and have been setting it up tonight.
    Its very easy to install providing you use the OSD facility, infact it only takes a few minutes to make all the inital settings on screen (who needs all these fancy auto install gizmos eh?) will fine tune it over the course of the week.
    Yes it runs hot even though I have the speakers set to OFF as I'm using external power amps and not the onboard ones. I would advise you NOT to put anything on top of it - it sits on top of my rack with plenty of ventilation around it.

After a brief listen I've got to say its very impressive and a step above my previous EP9 decoder. It does the ricter scale bass thing well but more importantly brings out much more fine/subtle details in film soundtracks, gonna have fun over the next few weeks re discovering my favourite films that's for sure!

SACD and DVD Audio discs sound incredible through it via the 7.1 Channel Input. Well worth taking advantage of IMHO, one of the reasons I went for the SR7400 was it's musical ability with multi channel and stereo discs and look forward to playing around with these.

The remote is pretty cool, especialy the learning/pre programmed capability and is nice and light in weight with blue backlighting. This remote will probably be used in my bedroom (when I set up the 2nd zone facility) as I have taught my Pronto to control the receiver.

So..over all I'm very please so far (all 6 hours its been plugged in!!) and I'm sure that it will impress me more as it runs in and I fine tune the various settings. Buy one

6. Antpink

Antpink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    All who responded - thanks for the feedback, nice and positive. I did the deed and am now the proud owner of a set of big and heavy cardboard boxes hopefully containing HT excellence :smashin: ! Will set things up later this week (too many things happening this week to make the time available) and will report back on findings......

Now I need to find an SPL meter and some free time!