1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz SR7400- Burning down the house!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Nyquil Driver, Apr 24, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Nyquil Driver

Nyquil Driver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well...

Basically, I've just bought an SR7400, and have a bit of a problem with it...

It's an amazing sounding amp, which has all the settings and features that I want- BUT, it runs unbelievably hot!. I don't just mean that the amp gets warm after a while, I mean it gets BLAZINGLY hot after about half an hour... Surely, that's not normal is it?!.

I have read previous threads where people have nonchalantly stated that the amp 'runs a bit hot', but bloody hell, I can actually smell the plastic burning!. I removed it from my rack as soon as I noticed the problem, and also because it was much too big to fit in neatly with the other units in my stack anyway. I hoped that using it away from the other equipment (and with nothing obstructing the ventilation holes) would cool things down a bit... It hasn't made much difference though TBH, and it's just as hot running on its own as it was before. Like I said, there's a smell of hot plastic, and the top of the unit is scorching when touched. Will this go away with time? I've only had it a couple of days...

I'm very reluctant to return it though, because it really is a stunning performer- 7.1 from 2.0 material! I really don't want to lose that. Plus, I had a previous Marantz amp which (although I loved it) had a couple of quirks which I'm glad to be rid of. I wouldn't want to exchange this fantastic sounding (but hot) amp, for a buggy one that runs cool. I happened across a quite distressing thread on another site yesterday, where owners of 7400's were all complaining about audio drop-outs and other issues (some also mentioned heat), but the site was US-based and supposedly the problems were rectified for the UK versions. As mine is so hot though, it looks like the problems are still present in some units. So I can't help thinking that a replacement of the exact same model might be something of a lottery!- If I got one with drop-outs for example, I'd then be reminiscing about how great the hot one was, and what a shame I didn't just buy a fan or something...

Sigh... But anyway, if you're thinking of getting an SR7400, be warned that 1) It might be too hot to stack with other units, and 2) It's much bigger than some of the older Marantz amps (the ,4200, 4300, 5200, 5300 etc weren't as long front-to-back). Although I shouldn't have to, I was serious when I mentioned buying a fan, and I may well give that a shot. I'm sceptical as to whether a quiet fan could really cool down something that gets as hot as this amp does, but I desperately want to keep the stunning sound it provides!...

2. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    My 7300 used to get very hot. I could put my hand on it but it wasn't comfortable. The 2011 runs far cooler. These days it runs very cool but that's cause I'm using an external power amp!

3. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Does your 7400 have a green dot on it, and did it come double packed in two boxes (one outer and one inner), this is how you tell the rectified units from those that are not rectified.
    Although I would imagine that all the items coming off the production line now would be rectified models.

My amp does run a little hot, hotter than the SR4300 did, but I certainly do not smell any burning plastic!!!!

Where did you buy from? I'm sure they will exchange with another unit. Luckily my rack is open and therefore spacing is not an issue for me, even less so now that the amp is on the top most shelf on top of the rack (it is just too deep to fit on the lower shelves, wish they'd made it taller rather than longer!!).

Great amp though, especially for the money!!

4. Kaleb500

Kaleb500
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where did you buy it from Nyquil? It might be a one off rather than another bad batch, i hope so. I also read on another forum that anything with the date 04 on back should be ok also. It is possible that you got one of the original bad ones, although I would have thought that none of those were left.

5. Nyquil Driver

Nyquil Driver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for all the replies-

As the 7300 was apparently a bit of a hottie aswell, maybe I'm over-reacting a tad then?- I'd never have expected the term 'running hot' to mean 'boil an egg on it' hot though, but I'm not sure what the manufacturer would deem acceptable...

It did come in two boxes actually, one packed inside the other as described. Although the outer box has a green dot on it though, I can't find one on the unit itself- where exactly will it be? I can only pull the amp out so far because all the connections are very taut, but I've had a pretty good look and I can't see anything...

If it's any help, the serial n.o is MZ00034700371 and it says Designed/Engineered by Marantz Japan on the back (whilst the outer-packaging says made in China). Any of this indicate anything?.

Bought it from Peter Tyson online, never dealed with them before, but my first choice retailers didn't have any stock. Obviously, I'll have to get in contact with them if the situation doesn't improve, but I'm petrified that I'll swap this one and get a replacement with hissing, crackling or drop-outs etc. As no doubt their other 7400's will be from the same batch...

6. Kaleb500

Kaleb500
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think your unit should be as hot as you describe especially if theres burning plastic. I would definatley replace it if i were you. I got a 7400 coming next week, hopefully it's not a whole batch, although it would seem unlikey that a problem would re-emerge that was already fixed. Have you had any drop-outs?

7. Nyquil Driver

Nyquil Driver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The smell hasn't been as noticeable since I removed it from my AV rack- so I think the extreme heat it generated initially was because the ventilation holes were blocked and because the unit on top of it added even more heat... I can still detect a plasticky aroma after its been on a while, but it might be because I'm paranoid about it now...

I'm persevering for the time being anyway. Although I'm going to phone Peter Tyson next week to inform them of my situation. That way, if it doesn't improve at all, or gets worse even, I'll have already covered myself and won't have any trouble getting a no-quibble exchange.

Kaleb500- I've not had any problems besides heat no (very pleased with the performance indeed), so it'll be interesting to see if yours is as volatile as mine- there's every chance I've just got myself a one-off anomaly... As it's possible that the amp has had the processing chip replaced (to rectify the drop-outs) whilst the over-heating problem has been ignored for some reason.

Either way, I'm going to see how it goes.

8. TheSeer

TheSeer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I initially had a burning smell from my SR7400 when I received and set it up. I was very worried but left it on overnight and the smell had gone the next day and has never returned :) I think it maybe some sort of packaging coating thats used and burns off when the unit is switched on. However, I do have plenty of room all around it.

Apart from the above I have not had any problems with the unit at all and have been very impressed with it esp in stereo, where it is very good considering how much it cost and that its primary role is as an AV receiver.

I now put into standby each night rather than leaving it on all the time. I suspect this thing has a pretty high power consumption even when its on but just sitting idle.

9. Kaleb500

Kaleb500
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How hot does your unit run seer?

10. TheSeer

TheSeer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Kaleb500,

It runs fairly hot, but not very hot - ie I can easily put my hand on it and keep it there. To put it in perspective, it runs a lot hotter than my NAD C370 integrated stereo amp which is about the same size as the SR7400. However, I would say that the SR7400 runs at roughly the same temparature as a Sony SACD player I have !! I would expect the SACD player to run the coolest for obvious reasons, so I am not sure that the temperature which the unit runs at means anything.

The SACD player which runs much hotter than I would expect has been utterly reliable for 3 yrs.

One word of caution, I don't use the SR7400 to run my front L&R (driven by the NAD in power amplifier mode) so mine might run cooler than anyone else's.

Rgds

11. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I've found that most hi-fi racks don't have enough space between shelves for a large a/v amp. You really want at least 5-10 cm space above the unit. My Yammy has about one inch of breathing room and needs the cooling fan (bionaire accutemp) after about three hours of continuous use, otherwise things start to melt!

Dont worry about temperature changes affecting sonic performance. Another one of those audiophile myths, methinks (maybe not the case with valve amps, though!!!).

12. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    My 7200 runs pretty cool, but it does have free space above it....

13. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Dont forget how much power is actually going through the thing, 105 watts x 7, thats 735 Watts, and then the actual processing going on as well, so it is bound to get a little over warm :D

I think spacing around the amp is very important, which is one reason I didnt mind putting it on the top of the rack rather than on one of the inner shelves.

I watched Master & Commander on it on Sunday, WOW! This amp really does rock!!

14. Nyquil Driver

Nyquil Driver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have to say, after re-reading this thread- I fell pretty re-assured actually...

It sounds like the 7400 amps all run pretty hot, so chances are I don't have a 'faulty' unit after all. It's strange that the 7200 managed to avoid the same issue though...

Now I've had the amp running on its own for a while, I'm not as pre-occupied with the heat created- It still gets very hot mind you, but it only gets to a certain temperature, and then doesn't get any worse. I was scared to leave it on for longer than an hour before, because I had assumed that the unit was just getting hotter and hotter...

Have to agree about the performance though- absolutely stunning!. I watched Timeline today, and the thunderous sub noise accompanying the charging horses was great, and some really impressive effects from the flying arrows etc. Great stuff (film was a bit naff though!).

Been listening to some CD's aswell, and dug-out some old 2.0 DVD's to see how much DPL2-X could do with them- again I wasn't disappointed!.

15. Kaleb500

Kaleb500
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nyquil i just found out that your serial number shows that it was made in 03. MZ0003xxxxxxxx = 2003 and MZ0004xxxxxxxx = 2004. Anything made in 2004 is supposed to be ok. It was the 2003 ones that were effected. Therefore it might be possible that yours was originally one of the bad batch that got supposedly fixed, but some how not completely. If your sure the temperature is not normal i would send it back. But make sure first, you may find its supposed to be that hot, although many on here have said that their's only run warm.

http://www.hometheaterspot.com/htst...0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=31&fpart=1#Post585460

16. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    :lesson:

On a good quality power amp you would be right. In fact they would peak at more than that so it would be even higher. On most A/V receivers? Not a hope in hell, the power supply just isn't up to it. Max power consumption from the owners manual (US) of the 7400 is 540W and if that was continuous I would be very surprised. That tells you something. :)

Of course at more reasonable volumes you only be using a few watts per channel so it doesn't matter as much.

17. Nyquil Driver

Nyquil Driver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's not good news then... Thanks for posting that link, very interesting.

"But make sure first, you may find its supposed to be that hot, although many on here have said that their's only run warm."

This is exactly my dilemma, as I'm basically having to make a judgement call when I'm not quite sure what's considered acceptable. I guess i'd need a thermometer to be absolutely sure...

Sigh... I was almost ready to accept the heat as normal, but I'm not sure now- I'm not at all happy that my unit is apparently an 'old' one. If it didn't sound so fantastic I'd have probably sent it back immediately...

I'm still prepared to 'see how it goes' for the moment though.

18. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Whereabouts are you Nyquil?

If you're within travelling distance of me (check your pm :) ), then you are more than welcome to come and touch mine up (ooer), i am of course talking about the amp :D You can then compare the temp levels with your own amp.

19. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If you are still worried call Marantz 01753 680868 and talk to someone in technical, you will probably get Neil if he is there, He is very useful and may be able to tell you if there is an issue with your amp.

Don’t forget If it is running hotter than it should you may not get a failure straight away but long term you could have an issue as life of chips capacitors etc is reduced if they are used outside their operating spec.

20. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
  21. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
  22. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Doh! :clown: there are actually two different links there the second on is best as the labels change permanently.

23. Nyquil Driver

Nyquil Driver
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Kazman-

Big thanks for the offer, that would have been a great way to put my mind at rest (or give me a good frame of reference at least). So it's unfortunate that I live at the opposite end of the country. You've given me a good idea though, because I'm going to see if I can find one in a showroom nearby- that way I can cop a feel and see how it compares. Thanks again though...

pwiles-

I'll make a note of that number. Cheers.

Been busy and haven't used the amp at all today, but I'm going to give it a serious workout tomorrow and see how hot it seems.

24. Kaleb500

Kaleb500
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok i just got mine through. played around for a bit with it yesterday and also today with films and music. I haven't really given it a proper workout yet, although i have had it on continuosly for an hour or so, and so far it has got warm but not hot. I can easily put my hand on it without any discomfort. Other than that i gotta say what a fantastic amp, am well pleased with it. I still stand by what i said ealier though Nyquil, if you suspect that yours is getting to hot due to the fault that existed before i would change it straight away. I know its a pain in the arse but it shouldn't take to long and once its done its done. How hot does yours get? Can you put your hand on it?

25. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Glad you are also enjoying the ownership of the SR7400 :D

Would love to know what you think of it after a few days of pushing it a little more :)