1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz SR7300

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by BENdage, Jul 9, 2004.

Tags:
  1. BENdage

BENdage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone give me the lowdown on this amp? I'm really interested in getting one to replace the amp and power amp in my denon avf-100 system which is running a set of 5 eltax galaxy speakers. Would this amp be a good choice for high quality audio? If not, can anyone suggest something that would be suitable for me. I'm looking for something that is available in silver or gold to fit in with the rest of my system and has at least 5.1 and about 80wpc minimum. Price range is about £250 to £350 for a second hand amp.

2. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    I had the 7200 and it's excellent - very good with music as well.

3. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,336
    I had one and I liked it alot. It does just about every relevant format short of PLIIx and sounded good with it. Stereo performance like all Marantz receivers was good and the unit felt solid. However a goodly number of the early 7300's (mine was a later unit) did have some drop out problems and occasional crackles so do look for one built in 2003 if you can.

4. Kaleb500

Kaleb500
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got the 7400 which can't be much different from the 7300 and i am well please with it. As tons says just make sure you don't get one of the dodgy ones. I think the marantz's are excellent value amp's. I paid £480 for my 7400 brand new.

5. ash71

ash71
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Kaleb500

I'm seriously thinking of buying a SR7400 but whilst it meets all my requirements + being a fan of Marantz gear I've seen a few negative comments about it. How old is yours and how has it been behaving for you? Anything you don't like about it?

Cheers

6. Kaleb500

Kaleb500
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well there was the well known over heating and dropout problems of the earliest batch. But all that was fixed ages ago. Any unit made in 2004 is supposed to be ok. Mine certainly is. I have found no technical problems with the amp at all. As for general performance and features, its got everything i need and i think it sounds fantastic. It hasn't got auto calibration, but i can live without that. If you buy one new i very much doubt you will get one of the 2003 models. I know that when i bought mine from unbeatable, they were waiting for new stock from the supplier, which garentees a newly made one. And that was a few months ago.

7. SurferDude

SurferDude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can get a new 7400 for £367 plus freight if you're happy to import from Singapore... But no warranty :(

Link below:

http://www.worldaudiocentre.com/default.asp?cat=A/V Receiver&pg=4

I'm contemplating doing exactly this myself for the SR7400 given my net price in AUD would be $1,419 inclusive of everything (feight,duty,tax) instead of $2,399 if I source from a local retailer.

Just weighing up the risk of a lack of manufacturers warrenty ex Singapore. Is this something I should be scared about with the SR7400?

Thoughts?

SD

8. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    I've had my SR7400 for quite a while now, and have had no problems with it.

I would be concerned with air freighting it though, as I've seen how some couriers handle electronic equipment. As long as it isn't broken by the time you get it, you should have a reliable machine.

Might be an idea to call Marantz and pretend you are "moving" from Singapore and wanted to know if your SR7400 will be covered in Austrailia :)