1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz SR7300 twice as good as 6300?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by SurferDude, Jul 15, 2004.

Tags:
  1. SurferDude

SurferDude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The reason I ask is that I am looking at taking my first step in to the AV world with a good AV Receiver, and a store in Aus is offering the SR6300 for $999 and the SR7300 for $1,799 (almost twice as much). I think both of these options are better than the SR5400 at $1399. (Yeah, I know, Aussie prices are a bit steep).

The thing is, the SR7300 seems to be a much better receiver as it is programmable and has multi-zone capability. I could do with the multi-zone capability to drive my room speakers upstairs at the same time as the DVD is on in the home theatre downstairs. (You know, kiddies can watch Shrek 2 while I entertain upstairs to Norah Jones :) ) And the programmability should future proof me.

So, I guess the real question is should I fork out the extra $800 and go for the SR7300? Maybe a little bit of negotiation could get the price down a bit as they're obviously both superceded models. Then again, you might say I can do much better for that money than the SR7300...

Your advice is much appreciated,

SD

2. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    The SR7300 is a great amp and often overlooked in the race for Denon and Yamaha IMO.

I have the earlier SR7200 and am very happy with it - I've had that for over 2 years without any problems and am considering changing it, but only for a significant move to a Denon 3805.

As the 7300 is over a year old now I'd say they should come down in price - as to whether it's twice as good as the 6300, no. But if the multi-room is that important to you......

Well done on tonking us 51-15 in the rugby btw.

:(

3. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Isn't the SR7400 available in Aus?

4. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,331
    And to really put the cat amongst the pigeons- The SR7500 is released in Europe in November :devil:

5. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    What does the SR7500 have over the SR7400 ToF? Or are you under an NDA for the product at the moment?

6. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,331
    Can't say too much other than it is evolutionary rather than revolutionary- you aren't going to immeadiately want to dispense with an SR7400. For Surferdude though it is a big difference from two models ago.