1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz SR7300 availability

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by AndyCCC, Mar 25, 2003.

Tags:
  1. AndyCCC

AndyCCC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just received the following message from HifiBitz about the sr7300 (gold) I ordered five weeks ago:

We have received an update today from Marantz on the SR 7300 you have on order with us, unfortunately they are unable to offer us an incoming date for this unit due to overwhelming demand.

:thumbsdow

Has anyone heard anything else about when they're coming? I know Mugsy waited six weeks for his but this sounds worse! Several shops seem to have delisted it.

What should I buy instead?

2. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I was in my local Audio X on Saturday picking up a few cables & crashed a demo of the Onkyo TX-SR 700 - didn't spend any real time but with movies it was stunning (B&W 60x speakers & Arcam DV88). Onkyo are always reported as having a weakness with 2 channel stuff tho.

Denon 3803's are available just about everywhere - I'd try and arrange a demo of those two if I was in the market and in a hurry - The Pioneer 2011 is really tough to get hold of as you may notice from other threads, 7oaks in Bristol told me recently that they had ordered three in November & they're still waiting.

Mind you NADs av kit has been getting a few raves recently and for an amp that does music there's the Arcam offering.

Leg work needed on your part I think :rolleyes:

3. AndyCCC

AndyCCC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, Wilber.

I had meant it more as a rhetorical question, but I have been starting to think about alternatives. 2 channel is important. I had of course been thinking about the 3803, or perhaps the Sony VA555ES if it came down enough in price. May all be a bit OTT for my Mission FS2 speakers though. Trouble is not being able to find the time to demo them ...

4. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Definitely take the time to demo - it's well worth it. If two channel is important then my friends at 7oaks will steer you towards HK or Arcam (neither of which I know very well I must admit).

Have you considered going for a slightly lower spec amp to allow room for a speaker upgrade? - e.g Marantz 5300 = £320 at Richer Sounds, Pioneer vsx 811 = £350 just about everywhere.

5. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. mugsy

mugsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    QED have it in black...

http://www.qed-uk.com/?i=0_w75Y1lwDwG&vp=6&bg=212&bp=7300b&bi=0

...cheap too!!

It's a fantastic amp for the price - in a different league to my old Yammy 620 (which sounded pretty good).

Regarding the high frequency hiss - yes, it's there when your ear is closer than a metre to the speaker but at listening level it's non-existant. Trying to listen for it i've actually picked up that my Tosh 520 DVD player makes quite a racket I hadn't noticed before!

There's no hiss at all in source direct and an analogue stereo signal through source direct sounds superb :smashin:

7. AndyCCC

AndyCCC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad to hear you're so pleased with it, Mugsy. :)

Can't decide whether to compromise on the look of the system, keep waiting or look for something else. The £450 pricetag on the black is very tempting!

I can't bring myself to look for one available in Gold at places that will charge £600 or more for it (though thanks for pointing out Superfi, Sunday). 7oaks in Peterborough are advertising black or gold for £489 as a special offer to personal callers only, which may mean it's in stock - but that's rather too far away for me to get to.

Thanks for the advice, Wilber, but FS2s are there to stay (WAF), and I do think they sound good for the size/money.

8. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I wouldn't trust those 7oaks web offers anyway - I rang a branch about a Denon 2802 for my dad last week & was told that they wouldn't sell it to me at the price on the web site even if I drove the 100 miles to collect it!

BTW have you considered the Pioneer 1011? A real star performer for £530 in silver or black (it's a big old beast though - 2cm taller than most av amps) apparently in stock at techtronics

9. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I had a SR7300 but returned it due to the high pitch problem. I have read posts from quite a number of SR7300 users now and very few seem to have got a problem free one.

Sure enough the problem goes away in source-direct with analogue source but that means tv with DPII, use of the sub in two channel and DD and DTS from digital for DVDs all exhibit the problem. I just couldn't live with it. If you don't need component switching and like the Marantz sound, grab a SR6300.

I suggest you also look at the NAD 752, Pioneer 1011 and Denon 3802.

10. Mogli

Mogli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    I had a marantz sr5300 for a while and it also had high frequency hiss. After doing some research and finding it seemed to be x300 problem i bought a yamaha 730.

If you do plan on buying something from that range check it out at the shop. It could save alot of legwork and at least you know your getting one without the hiss.

Just trying to help.

Mog

11. AndyCCC

AndyCCC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the advice. I will have to mull it over some more.

Cheers

Andy