1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz SR7200 - Help Please

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Dumfy, Oct 17, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Dumfy

Dumfy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi everyone,

I have just bought this receiver and will be setting it up in the next day or so. I've never used an On Screen Display to aid setting up before and was wondering how to do it with this model. Do I need to use it as all connections will be through Scart for video work. Or do I need to use a specific video output jack that I can temporarily connect to the composite TV input and remove once the set up is completed?

Is it possible to use the display on the receiver for this purpose or some way of utilising the remote?

I'm sorry to say that the manual is none too brillaint and doesn't explain this. And working your way through Japanese-English translation makes for interesting reading.

Thanks for the help.... :confused:

2. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I think the perceived wisdom with these is usually that you connect the receiver to the TV in a manner that allows you to see the OSD while setting up. This could be composite, or S-Video.

Then afterwards, it really depends on how you want to connect your source(s) through to your display.

If you connect to the receiver and use this to switch sources, then you'll probably retain the OSD. Obviously if you connect direct then you lose this.

Not having seen/used a 7200 it's difficult to know how much you can set it up solely on the front panel display.

3. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    You need a video out phono (usually yellow)to scart - you will usually find this type of lead in your local dixons / argos etc with 2 extra audio phonos (red and white) included, just leave these unconnected. On the 7200 connect the phono to monitor out

[ 17-10-2001: Message edited by: common ]

4. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Hi Dumfy..

How did your setting up of the Marantz 7200 go as I am considering this model myself.
    Cheers...

5. Dumfy

Dumfy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Graham,

The 7200 set up with no problems. First impressions are that this is an excellent receiver. I've still got some fine tweaking to do for setting it up. We watched "A Bugs Life" last night and it was great. Should've moved to digital a long while ago.

Get yourself the Marantz. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Any questions I may be able to help with, please post back.

Regards

6. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Well Dumfy.. Sounds more and more up my street the more info I collect.

I am going to the Hi-Fi show in Manchester this weakend ( org by Practical HI-Fi )with a mission to pester the living daylights out of some poor soul :D :D :D . Which DVD have you linked to the Marantz and how does it sound in CD replay. I have a Sony 725 at the mo... with Boston centre and sats. with Rel sub. Looking for a new DVD as well prob. be a Pioneer 545 or Philips Q50 as I need good VCD play back which the Sony do not have. As you can guess I am more swayed to the quality, subtle side of sound as to loud and brash...

smoky blues music and a good beer... just the ticket:D :D

Cheers.

7. Dumfy

Dumfy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Graham,

How did you get on at the Show? Hope you picked up a bargain.
    I too hace the Sony 725 connected to the 7200 with no problems. Sounds really good both in DVD and CD format. I'll be sticking with this set up for a while now as the upgrade of TV/Amp/speakers has cleared me out!

I just need some advice now on setting up the Marantz, or any other AV amp, properly.

Let me know how you get on.

Mark:)