Marantz SR7015 AV Amplifier Review & Comments

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
I’m on the same don’t think that’s a recent update and I read somewhere the new update has now been pushed back from today to I think it was to nov 11.

but are you on auto update? I have a notification pop up so i know when its going to update...and I deffo only got it a few days ago..

i'll ask jdsmoothie over on avsforums he will know what's going on

its annoying as the firmware notes are not ont he marantz uk/euprope website yet

TributeAle

No I have auto update off but update notification on and the last update I did was probably about three or four weeks ago

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
No I have auto update off but update notification on and the last update I did was probably about three or four weeks ago
Yes..11th November as you have stated is correct..

Feel free to also post in the owners thread I've started

bert2

But will it connect an input to its 2nd HDMI output wjhen it's 1st is not energized as the Denon AVC-X6500 will not. I have to switch on the TV before the Projecter will connect and the supplier and Denon customer service cannot fix or offer an explanation. .

Ronaldk

Novice Member
Bought this AV amplifier (it is not a receiver as the European/African model has no built-in tuner) a week ago, after 10 years of owning Pioneer receivers (LX81 and LX57) and needing proper HDMI 2.x improvement. The music fidelity is good and the various supported decoding formats (Auro, DTS, Dolby and IMax) is appreciated. I like the additional 2 rows of information behind the flip panel and the fact you can view the input and output speaker information. However, some aspects are not acceptable for a AV amplifier of this calibre especially when compared to the 7 year old Pioneer I have moved to another room. These are:

1. Pioneer had 6 speaker or configuration pre-sets already in 2010 (not just 2 as is punted in the marketing material for Marantz/Denon)
  2. Number of video source inputs are not limited to 8 (when connection all legacy and HDMI ports on the Marantz you can only assign 8 to video sources, meaning if you already use all 8 HDMI ports, you cannot use any of the legacy ports). On the Pioneer there was no limitation, meaning you could have all legacy ports as sources separate to all (9!) HDMI inputs.
  3. There is seemingly no standing wave or phase assessment during setup? These were separate activities during calibration on the Pioneer. Is this done automatically or just not applied for the Marantz?
  4. The UI interface is really sloppy for the Marantz giving that it is 8K capable. How can they still use a 720p-like interface, whereas the 8K could have been showcased?
  5. Start-up time is about 2 seconds longer than the Pioneer when switch on from standby.
  6. Changes in video refresh rate via Blu-ray player (i.e. 60hz to 24hz of movies) results in TV going black and waiting a resync ( takes about 2 seconds to complete). The Pioneer had the same issue with its HDMI 1.4 ports, but one would expect the quick media switching and HDMI 2.1 features to have resolved this?
  7. No built-in Tuner.
  8. Media server / DLNA control in HEOS using playlist method is frustrating. One cannot play random songs from media server list of say 4000 favourites. Only 60 odd songs get added to a playlist and random playback is within this smaller selection (always the first 60 odd of the selected folder). How do one activate random playback for a 4000+ music library? Pioneer had no problem with this, as it did not use playlist or queue generation.
  9. Dolby Surround replaced Dolby Prologic IIx, however, this new upscaling from stereo (typical TV broadcasts) to virtual surround has the news readers voice on the rear speakers too. The centre channel configuration for voices was much better in the older Dolby Prologic. Fortunately the Auro 2D mode sounds similar to Dolby Prologic IIx and this is my new go-to mode.
  10. Class D amplifiers used much less electrical power and generated less heat than the Marantz. Explains why an eco-mode is available on the Marantz.
The sound stage and performance after room correction of the receivers are to my perception and listening level similar. The advantage of ATMOS and DTS-X at least provides some rationalisation for the upgrade.

Last edited:
Apologies if it's been asked before in previous pages but what's the vinyl sound like through it?

I'm thinking of dumping my Arcam AVR 500 for something like this. These days vinyl is about 20% of my time, but still important. Thanks

Brickmaster

Novice Member
I just ordered this receiver today and very excited to try it. I currently have a Sony STR-1080. I am wondering how much of a difference can I expect if any?

60percentsound

Standard Member
I just ordered this receiver today and very excited to try it. I currently have a Sony STR-1080. I am wondering how much of a difference can I expect if any?
The Sony is a great amp, so in a basic 5.1 setup, not much difference at all. With good speakers, in a fully calibrated and balanced Atmos setup you should get a huge improvement !!

I don't know but pease report back on how it sounds

Brickmaster

Novice Member
The Sony is a great amp, so in a basic 5.1 setup, not much difference at all. With good speakers, in a fully calibrated and balanced Atmos setup you should get a huge improvement !!

I have a 5.2.2 setup, which if I am saying that correctly is 5 Speakers, 2 Subs and 2 ceiling Atmos setup. This would allow me to do 4 Atmos and later maybe add two more side speakers if I can figure how to position them correctly in my room. I have Aperion Audio speakers so they are better than run of the mill speakers, so I am hoping for a noticeable improvement. My wife will probably tell me I wasted money, but hopefully I can prove her wrong and spending the extra $1800 was well worth it :)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom