Marantz SR7012 or NAD T758

What would you choose?

• Total voters

scoobysmiff

Established Member
Reaction score
My search for a new receiver has been narrowed down to these two candidates. I will be purchasing next week.

They can be got within a 100 pounds of each other and I will be running an external Emotiva XPA 5 amp in a 7 channel system and I also have a Denon 2 ch amp which will be added for the remaining channels.

I know both are well regarded and my own personal taste is edging towards the Marantz as I do like the brand and sound. For some reason I'm just not too sure about the NAD although I'm sure it is very good.

What do the masses think?

Tbh, not much. I quite like to plug in, set it up, tweek/adjust if need be and then play - I will fiddle somewhat as things go on but I don't like moving the speakers about once I get permission to put them where they look nicest......!!!! Even then, they still move about a bit while I'm away at work.

Sounds like you'd recommend the Marantz maybe?

You like the sound that the Marantz gives and taking the other circumstances into account, I would yes.

Rgr that and thank you. Yours is an opinion that I have grown to trust from reading of the many posts you publish. Marantz it is and I shall stop all my procrastination.

Rgr that and thank you. Yours is an opinion that I have grown to trust from reading of the many posts you publish. Marantz it is and I shall stop all my procrastination.

Ahh, thank you for that kind comment ;)

Nothing wrong with tooing and froing, it helps the decision process. Which does need making in the end :smashin:

The Nad offers more if you upgrade it to full Dirac, but that process maybe isn’t the most user friendly.

If you go Marantz then invest in the £20 app and cut off where the Audyssey does it’s thing, which adds a hell of a lot of improvement in most set ups.

Nad is lacking on inputs - is that an issue?

I would go Nad for Dirac but either will be a fine choice.

I'm going to get the Marantz

Marantz on order from PT :clap:

Marantz received and installed today. V Happy. Dialogue is clearer, mains have more impact and dynamics and the surrounds are more prominent with better steering. A far better product to my ears. Even the long haired general factor is improved as she says it doesn't hurt her ears as much at a decent volume? Currently on Gladiator and it's great :clap:

There’s often a ‘breathe in and hold your breath’ moment when we get something new. While we’re holding it in, the tension builds. Then we unbox, plug in, set up and have a listen. And if all is good, out comes that gut of air that’s been loaded with tension and ‘phew’ :D

There’s often a ‘breathe in and hold your breath’ moment when we get something new. While we’re holding it in, the tension builds. Then we unbox, plug in, set up and have a listen. And if all is good, out comes that gut of air that’s been loaded with tension and ‘phew’ :D

This gave me a little chuckle,

I can sometimes leave a box unopened in the living room for hours or even days. I’ll even just sit and stare at an unopened product lol.

@scoobysmiff happy to read your happy with your Marantz. Myself on the other hand, not convinced just yet.

This gave me a little chuckle,

I can sometimes leave a box unopened in the living room for hours or even days. I’ll even just sit and stare at an unopened product lol.

@scoobysmiff happy to read your happy with your Marantz. Myself on the other hand, not convinced just yet.

What is it your not convinced about? It may be worth noting that I came from a much older Pioneer amp (SCLX 83) so the difference may have been more noticeable in my circumstances.

I have to agree, most purchases are as a result of many hours of research and reading but ultimately, you never know until you get the product and then install it. I think with this hobby it can be even more nail biting because it is all so subjective and dependant on so many variables. Just thinking about upgrading speakers now o_O

What is it your not convinced about? It may be worth noting that I came from a much older Pioneer amp (SCLX 83) so the difference may have been more noticeable in my circumstances.

I previously had a 7703 in our old place and Audyssey worked fantastic in there. We’ve since moved house and for one reason or another, I can’t quite get Audyssey to gel the sound together.

Also, Audyssey keeps setting the reference level to 67-68db instead of the 75db. I’m chasing something up with the guys at Audyssey to hopefully figure out why. My thought is that Audyssey matches the speaker level to the sub, and with sub (Arendal sub1) the amp plate runs 10db hot (I think it’s 10db?), audyssey is dropping the reference level to match?

I may be entirely wrong, it’s just a thought.

It's possible I guess. Having just set mine up I thought it was quite easy tbh. Sub level was the first thing adjusted and I simply had to tweek until the level was at 75db (ish) the measurement box went green when Audyssey was happy. I think that the 75db level is a bit light though tbh so I added another tweek to the dial post setup and to me, it was better. I'm sure I will fiddle over the next few weeks though to find that sweet spot.

It's possible I guess. Having just set mine up I thought it was quite easy tbh. Sub level was the first thing adjusted and I simply had to tweek until the level was at 75db (ish) the measurement box went green when Audyssey was happy. I think that the 75db level is a bit light though tbh so I added another tweek to the dial post setup and to me, it was better. I'm sure I will fiddle over the next few weeks though to find that sweet spot.

That’s just what I do, jump it up a little afterwards ;)

When Audyssey is initially adjusting the sub level, I can’t get it anywhere near the green area and the sub gain is at its lowest point on the rear of the sub 1.

Within the Marantz the sub trim is currently minus -12. The lowest I’ve been able to get it is -10.5.

Some -10db rothwell attenuaters would probably do the trick but I’m considering going dual subs and may sell the sub 1.

I tried manually adjusting the trim of all speakers to 75db but the volume at -15db is ridiculous, I wouldn’t dare put it to zero.

Had the new system 2weeks and I’m already thinks of goin 2 channel :suicide::suicide:

When Audyssey is initially adjusting the sub level, I can’t get it anywhere near the green area and the sub gain is at its lowest point on the rear of the sub 1.

Within the Marantz the sub trim is currently minus -12. The lowest I’ve been able to get it is -10.5.

Some -10db rothwell attenuaters would probably do the trick but I’m considering going dual subs and may sell the sub 1.

I tried manually adjusting the trim of all speakers to 75db but the volume at -15db is ridiculous, I wouldn’t dare put it to zero.

Had the new system 2weeks and I’m already thinks of goin 2 channel :suicide::suicide:

Call me crazy . . . . A lot do :laugh:

Get a couple of mattresses and strategically place them in the room, then run Audyssey again. The Attenuators may also help.

I have a -10db Attenuator you can borrow if you want to try it out.

Are you set on Arendal? whilst i've read that the Arendal subs are very good I have no experience of them but dare I suggest trying a different sub :D - one/two from PSA for example?

The attenuator may be a good work around in the short term - this surely doesn't make it a Marantz issue though does it?

Call me crazy . . . . A lot do :laugh:

Get a couple of mattresses and strategically place them in the room, then run Audyssey again. The Attenuators may also help.

I have a -10db Attenuator you can borrow if you want to try it out.

Thanks for the offer Dodge it’s much appreciated, I may take you up on that.

Whilst (I think) I understand the point of the mattress exercise, the wife may get a tad ratty, understandably.

I don’t currently think it’s a Marantz issue, just Audyssey trying to balance the system.

I could be wrong though.

Thanks for the offer Dodge it’s much appreciated, I may take you up on that.

Whilst (I think) I understand the point of the mattress exercise, the wife may get a tad ratty, understandably.

I don’t currently think it’s a Marantz issue, just Audyssey trying to balance the system.

I could be wrong though.

What channel level trims is Audyssey setting for the main speakers?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom