Marantz SR7011, SR6011 AV 7703 Owners thread

Hopefully the two inches I have above and each side, with an open front and back will be enough then.

or get an Aircom T8!

Well, I’d make do with the S8 but I don’t want the noise risk. I’m only 2 metres away in a 2.4 m2 room

Another question, I have the 7011 set up as 11.1 and use power amps for frL frR and the centre channel. Speaker layout is front rt. front lt. and centre. surround lt. and rt. back sur. lt. and rt. and 4 ceiling speakers plus subwoofer. On the setup page where it shows the pre-outs and speaker terminals that are being used it has the speaker terminals for the centre channel lit up (as though in use) and it shows only front left and right pre-outs in use (no centre channel pre-out in use)
Is this an aberration due to the receiver or have I got something wrong in the set up?
To be clear, I am not using the receivers centre channel speaker terminals and I am using the centre pre-out.

P.S. everything appears to be working ok.

Another question, I have the 7011 set up as 11.1 and use power amps for frL frR and the centre channel. Speaker layout is front rt. front lt. and centre. surround lt. and rt. back sur. lt. and rt. and 4 ceiling speakers plus subwoofer. On the setup page where it shows the pre-outs and speaker terminals that are being used it has the speaker terminals for the centre channel lit up (as though in use) and it shows only front left and right pre-outs in use (no centre channel pre-out in use)
Is this an aberration due to the receiver or have I got something wrong in the set up?
To be clear, I am not using the receivers centre channel speaker terminals and I am using the centre pre-out.

P.S. everything appears to be working ok.

Same on my Marantz. It's set up right but for some reason it doesn't show all the Pre-Outs being used. They're always active anyway.

When listening to music can you have the subwoofer working with left and right speakers set to large?

I can only get tge subwoofer to work if set to small, the window on the amp is consistent with what i get.

When listening to music can you have the subwoofer working with left and right speakers set to large?

I can only get tge subwoofer to work if set to small, the window on the amp is consistent with what i get.

You can yes. With your FL and FR speakers set to Large, you then have to set your bass management to "LFE+Main" - in that configuration, your FL and FR mains will be playing full range(..due to being set to Large), and the sub will now play bass frequencies as defined by the crossover(user configurable) that becomes available after setting the bass management to "LFE+Main". Note: This will mean that you could effectively be playing 'double bass' - the bass frequencies in the full range from the speakers, as well as the bass frequencies now being sent to the sub(crossover dependent). I'd suggest setting the crossover to the frequency where your mains start to roll off if you know where that is, i.e. in my case for example, I'd use 60Hz for my speakers. That way you should have a decent transition and extension into the lower freqs that your mains might not be able faithfully produce. Otherwise, if you set the crossover too high for instance, say like 120Hz, and your mains are capable of far lower than that, you could end up with a boomy/bloated mess because both the mains and sub will be playing back 'overlapped' bass frequencies somewhere in that range.. (i.e. mains 60hz-120hz, and sub 20hz-120hz - so effectively you will end up with 60hz-120hz being played back by both the mains and the sub) **These are just examples, speakers/setups/scenarios may vary!

Hope that helps. And sorry if I went over the top with the explanation!

You can yes. With your FL and FR speakers set to Large, you then have to set your bass management to "LFE+Main" - in that configuration, your FL and FR mains will be playing full range(..due to being set to Large), and the sub will now play bass frequencies as defined by the crossover(user configurable) that becomes available after setting the bass management to "LFE+Main". Note: This will mean that you could effectively be playing 'double bass' - the bass frequencies in the full range from the speakers, as well as the bass frequencies now being sent to the sub(crossover dependent). I'd suggest setting the crossover to the frequency where your mains start to roll off if you know where that is, i.e. in my case for example, I'd use 60Hz for my speakers. That way you should have a decent transition and extension into the lower freqs that your mains might not be able faithfully produce. Otherwise, if you set the crossover too high for instance, say like 120Hz, and your mains are capable of far lower than that, you could end up with a boomy/bloated mess because both the mains and sub will be playing back 'overlapped' bass frequencies somewhere in that range.. (i.e. mains 60hz-120hz, and sub 20hz-120hz - so effectively you will end up with 60hz-120hz being played back by both the mains and the sub) **These are just examples, speakers/setups/scenarios may vary!

Hope that helps. And sorry if I went over the top with the explanation!
Thank you very much for the comprehensive response, I will give it a try.

My SR7011 went haywire this morning. Around 6 AM it started playing music via HEOS at full volume in my living room. My phone was on my bedside unit so i switched it off as quickly as i could but it switched itself back on almost immediately. I ended up having to run through to the living room to unplug it. Ive set the maximum volume level to 70 now incase it happens again. Has anyone had this happen to them?

My new Kef Q700 speakers have a slight burning smell but im yet to determine if they are damaged.

Not happy but not sure where i stand if my amp has damaged my speakers.

My SR7011 went haywire this morning. Around 6 AM it started playing music via HEOS at full volume in my living room. My phone was on my bedside unit so i switched it off as quickly as i could but it switched itself back on almost immediately. I ended up having to run through to the living room to unplug it. Ive set the maximum volume level to 70 now incase it happens again. Has anyone had this happen to them?

My new Kef Q700 speakers have a slight burning smell but im yet to determine if they are damaged.

Not happy but not sure where i stand if my amp has damaged my speakers.
What? Crikey o_O

Is there anyone else in the house, or a neighbour, that may have accessed it remotely?

No I was home alone and my nearest neighbour would be out of WiFi range. They're living in caravan while they put up a new house so i can pretty much guarantee they heard it though.

No I was home alone and my nearest neighbour would be out of WiFi range. They're living in caravan while they put up a new house so i can pretty much guarantee they heard it though.
had this happen couple of times streaming from a nas,all shut down then would fire up again on it own,has not happened since last update.

Ive tested my speakers and it looks like i got away with it this time, I've set the maximum volume to 80% now so if it happens again it shouldn't do any damage.

Hi all,
Can you amp assign for 7.2.4 so that the front three (LCR) are powered by power amp and residual 8 channels are powered by the marantz internal Amps?
I read the manual and still not clear?

Have posted this query in the "A Guide To Dolby Atmos In The Home" Thread, will add it here to see if I get a similar answer:

"Okay, what the hell am I doing wrong here?

I have a Marantz SR 7011 and am running a 5.1.4 set up using 2 x upfiring speakers on my Front L&R and 2 x upfiring speakers on my Rears.

It says:

Assign Mode - 9.1 channel
Floor Layout - 5 channel
Height Sp - none
Dolby Sp - 4 channel
Layout - Front Dolby and Surround Dolby

And at the bottom of the screen it says: Support Format - Dolby Atmos, DTS:X.

All speakers are wired correctly and my Blu-Ray player is outputting Bitstream. So why am I only getting Dolby Tru HD on playback and not Atmos?

Help!"

I don't get why it's not working....

False alarm!

Somebody replied on the other Thread and this was my response:
"DOH!!:facepalm:

Just put on "Gravity" (Special Edition), pressed the Green button on the remote and Dolby Atmos/Surround came up as a sound option!

I thought the amp auto-detected the signal and switched to Atmos, I didn't know I could manually select it.

Thanks!:thumbsup:"

And just in case anyone was wondering why I'd cocked up with this: the amp auto-detected and switched to Atmos when I played any clips from the Atmos demo disc, so I just presumed that it would do the same for a film with an Atmos soundtrack.

I just didn't realise that I could/had to manually switch. Only had the new .4 speakers two months as well....

I'm not sure if that's right. I don't have to select it on mine, that sounds like you may be applying Dolby Surround processing. If you press the info button on the remote what does it show the incoming signal as? Have you got secondary audio switched off on the blu ray player?

I'm not sure if that's right. I don't have to select it on mine, that sounds like you may be applying Dolby Surround processing. If you press the info button on the remote what does it show the incoming signal as? Have you got secondary audio switched off on the blu ray player?

You're probably right and I may have cocked up somewhere with my settings. I agree that the amp ought to auto-detect and auto-switch to Atmos each time I watch a film, just like it does when I play a clip from the Atmos demo disc.

In my defence, I bought the Marantz in January but only went Atmos in November, so it feels like I've had to learn a whole new, unfamiliar language.

Will check my settings later based on your suggestions and get back to you.

Bloody technology!

Okay, my default sound setting is DTS Neural: X and Secondary Audio was switched off.

The only thing I changed is that the Oppo has the option of setting the size and distances of your speakers (no, I don't know why either, it's easier just to do that within the amp set up procedure) and the speakers were set to Large, so I changed them to Small. Everything else was as exactly as before.

Put on Mad Max: Fury Road - automatically switched to Atmos. Did the same with Warcraft: The Beginning - it did the same too!

Now I have no idea why it's doing it now when it didn't before, but I'm not complaining. Thanks for your help, Punctilio.

Last edited:
Bloody technology!

Okay, my default sound setting is DTS Neural: X and Secondary Audio was switched off.

The only thing I changed is that the Oppo has the option of setting the size and distances of your speakers (no, I don't know why either, it's easier just to do that within the amp set up procedure) and the speakers were set to Large, so I changed them to Small. Everything else was as exactly as before.

Put on Mad Max: Fury Road - automatically switched to Atmos. Did the same with Warcraft: The Beginning - it did the same too!

Now I have no idea why it's doing it now when it didn't before, but I'm not complaining. Thanks for your help, Punctilio.
The speaker settings in the Oppo are only used by the analog connections - they are totally irrelevant in your use case, i.e. HDMI

All of which is in the manual y'know...

The speaker settings in the Oppo are only used by the analog connections - they are totally irrelevant in your use case, i.e. HDMI

All of which is in the manual y'know...

That's fine, but it still doesn't explain why the amp wasn't automatically switching to Atmos before but it is now!

consider this a bit of a bookmark, I have a 7011 being delivered tomorrow and I can't wait, going to be running it with my 5.1 M & K K-7 & K-4 tripole speakers hoping to add some ceiling speakers at a later date so will be returning to this thread more that once or twice

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom