Marantz SR7011, SR6011 AV 7703 Owners thread

petetherock

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just starting a thread to help new owners of the 7011 and 6011.

And also to help them decide if the new models are worth the difference over the old ones.

What's new in the 6011 & 7011 & 7703:

The SR6011 and 7011 both use CS49844A - a quad core DSP vs 4xAnalog Devices DSP in the 6010/7010.

Other changes include
- AKM 4458VN DAC on the 7011 vs the 4458 (non VN variant) on the older 7010
- LEGO 11bgn WiFi chipset (2.4/5GHz) on 7011 and CY920 11bgn chipset on the 6011 vs a generic b/g 2.4GHz on the xx10
- supports DSD 5.6MHz on both USB and Audio Decoding
- Rhapsody, Spotify, SoundCloud, TIDAL, Amazon Prime (via HEOS) vs just Spotify
- slightly more flexibility in Amp Assign for Zone 2/3
- wider range for audio delay (500ms vs 200ms)
- Made in Vietnam vs Made in China
- 0.3kg heavier (70xx) and 1.1kg heavier (60xx) - which I suspect is due to HEOS and 2 more amp models respectively

Thanks for doing this. I am awaiting delivery of an SR6011, replacing an aged Denon 3802. Looking forward to experimenting with Atmos (while SWMBO isn't looking) and trying out all the new features on a modern amp.

please guys I need your help.... I connect marantz 7011 with my jvc x30 and I get snowny picture. I locked the hdmi signal to 1080p but the problem still exists ,,,, any suggestion?

Thanks for doing this. I am awaiting delivery of an SR6011, replacing an aged Denon 3802. Looking forward to experimenting with Atmos (while SWMBO isn't looking) and trying out all the new features on a modern amp.
You're in for a real treat. I remember upgrading from a 3802 to 3805 and was flabbergastered with the improvement in SQ, features, etc. The leap from your 3802 to a SR6011 will be something else.

Went from a 3802 to a 3805 and loved it.
Then went from a 3805 to a 3806 for HDMI but thought the sound was harsher, more brittle.
Then went from a 3806 to a 3808 for the lossless codecs.
Then went from a 3808 to a 3313 and hated it.
Dumped the 3313 for a X4000 and was happy.
Then upgraded the X4000 to my current SR7010 and I love it. What Dolby Surround does to a 2-channel input signal astonishes me.

Last edited:
please guys I need your help.... I connect marantz 7011 with my jvc x30 and I get snowny picture. I locked the hdmi signal to 1080p but the problem still exists ,,,, any suggestion?
Have you tried to swop out the HDMI cable?

Really pleased. Installed and ran the setup, though I'll have to repeat it again later in the week. Sounds way better than the old unit in most areas. I've only got new front speakers so far (MA Bronze 5 floor standers have arrived with FX surrounds & centre to follow), so the old KEF eggs are doing some service. The most striking thing is the amount of extra information being sent to the surrounds, increasing the enjoyment of ordinary TV programmes.

Forty minute firmware update yesterday morning, so I presume it's up to date now.

Not had too many problems and those which have occurred might well be finger trouble. All works well with my Humax HDR, Sony Blu Ray player and Amazon Fire box, as well as a turntable.

ARC Channel from the TV is hit and miss. Sometimes it will start and then stop, sometimes it will play for a whole TV programme. I suspect it's the HDMI cable. The TV remains muted, so obviously believes it's sending the audio to the amp. The cable was a nondescript one I had in stock, so a new one is on order from Amazon. I've taken the opportunity to buy one which would also handle 4k if I change the TV.

Tony

Hi there,I might need your advice, I've bought about 2 months ago a Pioneer LX701, and even though it's a lovely unit it seems it's lacking something,I had previously a Marantz sr7008 that I loved, but that stopped working just after the 3 years warranty was out, so bought Pioneer that I used to own before the Marantz, but as Pioneer are together with Onkyo I feel it doesn't sound (to me) as good as the old ones or the Marantz, now contemplating changing it for the SR6011, would any of you know if that's a good idea or not?
Thank you in advance
Gerry

IMO each one of them have a different sonic signature, so it's best for you to audition first.
For me, I like the Marantz sound, so I have owned 6 of them!

IMO each one of them have a different sonic signature, so it's best for you to audition first.
For me, I like the Marantz sound, so I have owned 6 of them!
I've had 3 Pioneer and 1 Marantz, the older Pioneer sounded good, but my Marantz sounded better and easy to tweak, the only reason I went back to Pioneer was that I didn't want after 3 years to throw away the Marantz, as it needed a new circuit board, will have to find someone who some how had both and could share the findings

Ive always used Denon, but opted for the 6011 with a pair of Q Accoustics 3050 speakers. I originally had the q7000i 5.1 setup, so i kept the centre and rears.(gave my daughter the fronts with the denon x2000 amp to use with her project turntable).
Anyway, what can I say, totally made up, the clarity of the music is awesome, the setup just fills the room without having to up the volume.
I aint no audiophile so bare with my amateur review.
Not yet watched a movie as loving the music so much.
Setup was plain and simple with the on screen assistance and the audessy setup I found pleasing. I adjusted the crossovers a bit as it set the fronts to 40hz, which Ive set at 80.
Overall a happy bunny

I have also purchased the sr6011 , they are mated to xtz 95 series speakers , my trusty yamaha rxv2067 died and i wasnt keen on the onkyo tx nr 818 amp i used to replace it.
first impressions are good .

Considering the Yamaha 3050 or this marantz 7011 esp with price reduction
I have had yamahas in the past and never had any problems at all
wondered are Marantz just not as reliable as Yamaha.

I've had 3 Pioneer and 1 Marantz, the older Pioneer sounded good, but my Marantz sounded better and easy to tweak, the only reason I went back to Pioneer was that I didn't want after 3 years to throw away the Marantz, as it needed a new circuit board, will have to find someone who some how had both and could share the findings

Considering the Yamaha 3050 or this marantz 7011 esp with price reduction
I have had yamahas in the past and never had any problems at all
wondered are Marantz just not as reliable as Yamaha.
My previous Marantz SR7008 was great, good sound and easy to set up, but after 3 years suddenly the circuit board went, had no sound or vision,

Do you think that 6011 is the same as 7011 in terms of audio quality?I am aware of the amplification minor (?) difference.
Do they share the same dacs and audio components inside?
The upgrade to 9.2 ch from 7.2 (6010) in addition to the almost same specs with the 7011 make the 6011 av a very nice and affordable option compared to the competition.

If you see the first posts you will know the components are different.
Now your ears can decide if these differences translate into sonic ones.. cheers

If you see the first posts you will know the components are different.
Now your ears can decide if these differences translate into sonic ones.. cheers
Thanks for your help.
There is no mention regarding 6011's DACs.
Only for 70xx series.

Since denon=marantz ,what is the equivalent of sr6011 and 7011 respectively in terms of specs? 3300 and 4300?

Furthermore, from hdmi out 2 on sr 6011 will i still get multichannel bitstreamed audio or only stereo ? Hdmi out 2 is zone 2 out and not main out.

Last edited:
Really enjoyed using the new 6011 over the holiday period. Remaining speakers arrived and were installed on the 23rd. No experiments yet with anything other than 5.1.

My previous issues with ARC went away with the replacement HDMI cable.

A few things I'm not so keen on -

The unit seems reluctant to 'see' the shared directory where my FLAC files reside on a Synology NAS. It sees the one where mp3 files reside easily enough. The sharing properties seem to be the same and the only difference I can see is that the mp3 files are in the default 'music' directory, whereas the FLAC ones are in one called 'sonos', for my Sonos system. I've done a re-indexing exercise on the NAS, so maybe that will sort it out. I can still play them through the Sonos unit connected to the receiver, so it's not a major issue. EDIT - The re-index exercise has made them visible, though not quite as I envisaged. At least they are there!

The next thing is the internet radio system provided by vTuner/radiomarantz. I wanted to listen to a cricket commentary on BBC 5live Sports Extra. The direct link to that station on the receiver (vTuner) list doesn't play. It won't play on a computer from radiomarantz.com either, presumably something to do with the vTuner server and the website being (or appearing to be) outside the UK? I found a different mp3 (.pls) stream address and added it manually to radiomarantz.com and it plays from there on a computer. However, the stream still refuses to play from the receiver. Just extracted the link from within the .pls file to see whether that works, though I can't try it until this evening. However, the Sonos stream for this station works fine without any such palaver. I know there's a major issue in general with BBC streams and that we are in for further changes but TuneIn on the Sonos seems to be better configured than vTuner on the Marantz at the moment. EDIT - Using the link extracted from the .pls file worked. Obviously, radiomarantz.com allows the use of .pls while the receiver doesn't, which seems a bit odd. I'm now OK until the stream address changes. I found radiofeeds.co.uk to be a useful resource.

Probably finger trouble on my part but one of our offspring connected to the unit using Airplay and this proved a bit difficult to exit. I could select the other main inputs with no problem but as soon as I pressed the Internet Radio button, the display on the unit changed to Airplay, with no display available on the TV screen. It was still doing this 24 hours later. Switching the receiver off at the mains seemed to be the only way out of it.

Minor gripes about an otherwise excellent product.

Last edited:
I've got a denon 6200 in the living room with a kef 3005 in a 7.2.4 set-up..... It's opened my ears to Atmos and I also think that the sound is amazingly expansive.

Upstairs in my cinema setup I've a Nakamichi Av1 driving an Yamaha Z9 which is a 7.2 setup, though the Yamaha has its proprietary extra 2 wide speakers. It a Mirage Ominpolar setup which is pretty awesome with a svs audyssey bass equaliser.

I'm contemplating getting a Sr6011 to replace the Nakamichi.... As at £699 it seems the most reasonable way to a 7.2.4 setup. I believe that the Marantz has live outputs the way the denon does? As such I could use the 7.2 output into the Yamaha and have the Marantz doing Audyssey Eq and driving the .4 ceiling speakers?
(setting the marantz to Front pre-out and just not wiring the 7 speakers up to it!)

Does this sound reasonable

(fyi originally posted in the SR6010 thread as I didn't find this one, but deleted there and moved!)

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom