Marantz SR7010 & SR6010 Owners thread

petetherock

Prominent Member
Reaction score
This thread is for owners and those who are keen to discuss and share tips, info and related matters.

As usual the technical specs from their official website first:

Marantz UK | SR7010

Overview
Immerse yourself in thrilling 3D surround sound with the Marantz SR7010 AV receiver, which features Dolby Atmos surround decoding for the ultimate home theater listening experience with today's blockbuster soundtracks. And, via a firmware update (available via future firmware update), the SR7010 will be able to decode forthcoming DTS:X immersive surround soundtracks. Both Dolby Atmos and DTS:X feature object-based surround sound with the ability to drive overhead speakers to deliver the ultimate immersive 3D audio experience. Featuring an advanced video processing and switching section, the SR7010 features full 4K Ultra HD connectivity and HDCP 2.2 compliance.
Equipped with built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth with dual diversity antennas, the SR7010 lets you listen to your favourite music from streaming service Spotify Connect, and you can listen to any of thousands of internet radio stations. You can also stream your favourite tracks wirelessly from your iPhone, iPod touch and iPad via AirPlay.“

What's new in the 2015 model compared to previous model (SR-7009)?

32-bit DAC (AK4458VN) for all channels
DTS:X with Neural:X upmixer (via firmware update fall 2015)
HDCP 2.2
HDMI 2.0a (HDR)
WiFi - 802.11n
New iOS/Android Marantz Remote app (avail fall 2015)
Plus a line about a 're-tuned' sound compared to the 7009 - will see what that is about!

Some useful improvements that I like (the bits in bold in particular):

- the latest HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2 specifications on all 8 HDMI inputs. With 4K Ultra HD 60Hz video, 4:4:4 Pure Color sub-sampling, High Dynamic Range (HDR) and 21:9 video, 3D, and BT.2020 pass-through support on every input

- 8 HDMI inputs
- 13.2 main zone pre-outs but only 11 active channels
- separate controls for 2 channel playback, which allows you to select Large or Small speaker with or without the use of the subwoofer
- Potential for an upgrade to DTS-X free
- ISF Certification (allows different Day/Night video calibration settings per input)
- Bluetooth built in for wireless streaming plus Airplay and you can control the volume via the iTunes interface of your PC / Mac
- faster WiFi - 802.11n
- Networking and WiFi built in, with support for DSD and hi-rez (192kHZ) FLAC and WAV files via network stream or USB
- A new “TV Audio On/Off” setting to defeat the annoying auto switching caused by an HDMI-CEC ARC connection
- Smart buttons on the remote (ala Quick Select buttons on the Denon)
- Return of the "Channel Level" on screen menu for on the fly adjustments to all channels (note that for the first time this setting is per input not per surround mode)
- Expanded "Option" menu for on-the-fly audio/video adjustments (the "Setup" menus will now be reserved for more global adjustments)
- 4 pieces of 32 bit Sharc DSP processors that IMO did make a difference in HT and steering.

- The 4 ohm capability.
- 30 000 uF of capacitance, similar to the SR 7009 but inferior to the Denon 7200 with 44 000
- Audyssey XT 32 AND Sub EQ
- new AKM AK4458VN DACs X 2 . They are 8 channel DACs and the amp gets two of them. These are 32 bit, but aren't the same as the top of the line ones used in the Denon 7200 or AV 8802 (which get one DAC per channel - wow!).
- Improved GUI. The entire user interface can now be regarded as a wonderful experience, instead of merely painful for the experienced user, or very daunting for the newbie.
- Ability to save configurations
- NOT totally Free assign amps – you can use the front channels to power the rear heights if you use an external amp for the fronts (The Denon 7200W offers more customization)
-
Decent built speaker posts. Not WBT standard but certainly better than those on amps like the Emotivas or even the NAD / Onkyos.
- Gold plated RCA inputs
- the porthole (but the main display is covered up)
- network control - cool feature indeed

What I disliked:

- No network hub
- No second remote
- Only one set of speakers being used displayed – can only display input or output at one time. This was lost with the Denon AVR 4311, and that’s a pity.
- No more Hi Def blue light, and merely “Dolby Atmos” on the LED screen.
- No hard copy manual – just a tiny get started booklet and not even a CD (actually all I need is a big diagram of the rear panel for hookup purposes)
- The remotes codes list for other brand remotes is missing from the manual
- The remote is backlit but lacks the motion sensor of the Denon 7200
- only one USB port and it’s in front
- made in China instead of Japan

The biggest difference compared to the Denons or other older amps?

That would be:
- HDAM modules in the pre-amp section
- Dolby Atmos (5.1.2, 5.1.4, 7.1.2)
- Dolby Surround upmixer (replaces DD PLII, DD PLIIx, DD PLIIz with both improved ambiance and control), while lower models will continue to use DD PLII, DD PLIIx, and DD PLIIz
No DSU for the DTS-MA, although there is talk of a fix – to use the DSU, you need to decode the DTS-MA track in the Blu Ray player and send the signal as a LPCM signal.

Plus the potential to upgrade to Auro-3D. And there is also talk of DTS X for this model.

Thanks Pete for listing some of the features and differences, it's very useful :smashin:

The 7010 is still on my short list while i'm waiting for more info on the new Arcam AV550.

And i haven't totally ruled out the Marantz AV7702 MKII but i would need another power amp and i don't really have the space for it.

I pondered about this.. i.e. the difference between the 7702 MKII vs the 7010...
Now I do have a separate stereo system based on the NA 11 + PM 11, so for critical listening, I have another setup. Hence I asked myself if I want to go pre-pro-power.. and I took a chance on this. So far, it's been solid.

Of course, one could question the extra yield of the processor, being devoid of the interference of the power section. But if I need to have a session of music appreciation, there's always my stereo system.

And not forgetting the space, and the extra costs for 11 lengths of interconnects!

Yes not forgetting the extra cabling :rolleyes:

If a 7 channel power amp is used for the base layer in a 7.1 config, what amp channels are used in the 7010 to power front and back ceiling speakers, 4 of. Or can it only power two ceiling speakers ?

Great write up cheers Pete, really looking forward to receiving mine now!

BTW, when you get yours, do see if you get a loud whirring of the fan, which settles down after a couple of seconds. It never occurs after the initial setup.
I wonder if it's just a case of a new amp and everything being tested in some kind of systems check..

Will do. I'm sure I'll be too excited to remember that but if it's loud it will no doubt stand out.

Hi Pete,

Can I power my 7 base speakers with a power amp and run 4 ceiling speakers via the 7010 then? If so, where in the manual is this detailed please?

Yes you can. As I posted before, that's what I am doing. You go to amp assignment to configure. The initial setup will take you there. It's quite straightforward. Cheers

No DSU for DTS MA seems like a big omission, I hope it gets fixed.

It may not need fixing as it will have DTS Neural:X upmixer.

More on the AKM chip used:
Premium Audio News | AK4458 | Marantz | SR7010 | AKM - Asahi Kasei Microdevices

AK4458VN
115dB 768kHz/32-bit 8ch Next Generation Premium Multi-channel DAC Serieshttp://www.intl.onkyo.com/products/av_components/av_receivers/tx-nr747/index.html

image.jsp

The AK4458VN is a new generation of premium 32-bit DAC, with 8-channels of AKM’s VELVET SOUND architecture that has been widely adopted by well-established high-end audio companies. This technology realizes fine sound details with its low-distortion architecture in addition to 32-bit resolution digital filter processing. The digital input supports up to 768 kHz PCM and 11.2 MHz DSD (Direct Stream Digital), suitable for high-resolution audio source playback. This premium multi-channel DAC series provides a simple and best solution to wide range of applications with a TDM interface and up to 8-channel variations.

● Dynamic sound play back with large amount of playback information:
- AKMs VELVET SOUND architecture is utilized.
- Low-distortion technology achieves industry’s best performance of -107dB as a DAC with 115dB S/N characteristic.
- OSRD (Over Sampling Ratio Doubler) technology greatly reduces out of band noise.
- IRD (Impulse Response Designed) filters are integrated with 32-bit processing to reproduces detailed natural sound.
- Five different digital filters types are selectable according to the user audio and system preferences.

● Supporting High Resolution Data
- The digital input supports up to 768 kHz PCM and 11.2 MHz DSD (Direct Stream Digital), recreating high-resolution sound that is as close as possible to the original acoustic source.
- It is suitable for high-resolution sound source playback that is becoming popular with Network Audio, USB DACs and Car Audio Systems.

● System Extensibility
2ch/4ch/6ch/8ch lineups provide best sound solution for the system. The digital input supports TDM (Time Division), realizing daisy chain connection. A multichannel playback system such as AV surround receivers and audio interfaces can be easily designed with these premium DACs.
● Maximum Sampling Frequency, Bit Rate: PCM768kHz, 32-bit / DSD256 (11.2MHz), 1-bit
● SNR: 115dB ● THD+N: -107dB ● Sound Color Digital Filter: 5types

I had a little more time to listen before my travels, and 7010 is a really sweet sounding receiver.

Soundwise, I don't miss the Denon 7200 at all. It's the little mod-cons that are the difference actually.

The remote is poorer built, the innards seem less quality, but from a purely sound and function perspective, it has been all pretty good so far!

If there are people waiting to jump on, and do not need the extra little power from the 7200, do not mind the lesser build, and the country of origin, then the 7010 is a very solid amp and a good bargain. I don't know how much better the 7702 MK II will sound, but here is a product that gives you most if not all of that, plus built in amps that you can use for the ceiling speakers, whilst allowing you to use it as a processor and add on substantive power amps for the money you save from buying the Denon 7200. You also save on a few pairs of interconnects by buying this instead of a pure processor like the 7702 MK II.

Happy owner.

There are some differences in layout between the 7009 and 7010:
Plus apparently nicer footers on the 7010..
7010:
mz_sr7010_n_sg_ot_bg010_lo.jpg

7009:
001.jpg

If anyone is a Riddick Fan ( I am!) , and is looking for a little DSU action, try the latest Riddick, just when the rain begins, and the serpent like creatures start to crawl onto the ceiling, the effect is almost as big a revelation as the first time I heard Masters & Commanders, when I first marveled at the footsteps on the deck..

It's not just the rain, I mean DSU and Atmos is more than just raindrops, the footsteps had direction, steering, and an enveloping soundfield. Impressive.

Each brand has their own sonic signature, so you will probably want to audition them for yourself or rely on past buying experiences..

I'm getting deja-vu from AVS lol. Thanks for posting on here too.

I will get one of these once the DTS:X upgrade has been done and it's all settled down. Not going to risk the 7702 mk2 processor as if your power amp plays up your left with nothing to use, which is particularly pertinent to my set up ;) I doubt the differences between the two are that noticeable to my non batlike hearing anyway and no space for even more power amps.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom