Marantz SR7010 broken optical ports - repair or work around?

I broke the little doors off my Denon amp using the thick type optical leads (never again)
I was about to have them repaired when someone suggested using the lightweight thin Sony type optical leads, and it worked, the leads stay in the slots just fine without the little doors to hold them in. MAGIC!
Before you do anything else try one, they are cheap and work just great. In fact they worked so well I bought 3 of them.
These are the ones I got.

Last edited:
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
I broke the little doors off my Denon amp using the thick type optical leads (never again)
I was about to have them repaired when someone suggested using the lightweight thin Sony type optical leads, and it worked, the leads stay in the slots just fine without the little doors to hold them in. MAGIC!
Before you do anything else try one, they are cheap and work just great. In fact they worked so well I bought 3 of them.
These are the ones I got.

Thanks for this. I noticed that the optical lead supplied with the converter box I bought looked very similar to that one, so I tried it and it worked perfectly connecting my Bluesound Node into the Marantz.

Unfortunately it's only 1 metre long so not long enough to connect my TV to the Marantz, so I'll order a 2m from your link and give that a go.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Thanks again to all who helped with this - I'm finally up and running!

This morning's session didn't start too well when the PORTTA converter arrived and fell apart in my hands. It must have been damaged in transit.

I tested it anyway as a bare board, but to no avail.

Then I connected my Bluesound Node by optical to the original converter and that by coax to the Marantz AVR. This worked first time to prove that the converter and the AVRs coax inputs are fine.

I then managed to replace the optical cable from the TV without fully removing it from the wall, but the replacement cable didn't work either.

Fortunately, I'd ordered a couple of others, and eventually I found one that worked:

Amazon product ASIN B09LS3M44Z
This one sits loosely in the Marantz broken optical port, but doesn't need to be held in exactly the right position like the other one did. It works all the time as long as it is in the port which is much more how I thought it should be.

I might tape it in place in future if there are problems, but it doesn't seem like there will be so far.

No thanks to the designers of the LG C9 who obviously prefer anyone who wants to wall mount to buy the more expensive G Series! It is particularly difficult to use the Ethernet and optical port at the same time.

I've tested the original optical cable and it works fine from the Bluesound with or without the right-angle adaptor, so it looks a though optical isn't always as universal as I thought it was!

Thanks for this. I noticed that the optical lead supplied with the converter box I bought looked very similar to that one, so I tried it and it worked perfectly connecting my Bluesound Node into the Marantz.

Unfortunately it's only 1 metre long so not long enough to connect my TV to the Marantz, so I'll order a 2m from your link and give that a go.
I was very dubious of these el cheapo optical leads, but after using them I can hear no discernible difference compared to my Cambridge DIG300 optical lead that cost over 20 quid.
£9 for 3 cheap ones off eBay verses £60 for 3 Cambridge leads -no brainer.

I was very dubious of these el cheapo optical leads, but after using them I can hear no discernible difference compared to my Cambridge DIG300 optical lead that cost over 20 quid.

It’s a digital signal so as long the 1’s and 0’s get through it doesn’t matter if it’s el cheapo or £100 fancy cable. Same with hdmi cables.
You wouldn’t buy a fancy expensive usb cable and expect the printer to print nicer images.
Only problem is slightly longer length cables as in optical cables the clarity of the material will make a difference and in hdmi the quality of copper of whatever material it’s made of is important.

I'd have been happy to use anything for optical, I've never noticed a difference in sound either.

I had to spend £15 in the end but only because I needed one with a right-angled plug at the TV end otherwise I'd have just bought the one in your link.

Excellent news, I'm glad your 7010 is still alive, note to self be careful with the optical ports. Out of interest dare I ask how they got broken in the first place or is it too painful a story 😉

Excellent news, I'm glad your 7010 is still alive, note to self be careful with the optical ports. Out of interest dare I ask how they got broken in the first place or is it too painful a story 😉
I broke mine by using tight fitting thick optical cables from KabelDirekt, they might look good but that's about it. They might be OK for the non door flap (YAMAHA) type sockets but not the ones with flaps. I don't know why these door flap types are still in use tbh, they are just so fragile.
The damage is done when you insert the lead, it snaps the tiny lugs that hold the flap in, then later, when you pull the lead out you find out it's broken.

Thanks.

I was just careless with the optical ports - trying to get the cables in 'blind' rather than pulling the AVR out properly.

I'll be more careful in future, although I hope that this is the last time I'll have to use an optical cable - when I eventually upgrade to a new AVR they might have sorted out ARC/eARC compatibility,

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom