Question Marantz SR7010 Amp assignment

Lighty

Guys

Just added front heights for atmos and noticed the power amp switching between front height and rear height during audessey

I preout the front pair to a power amp so have 7 channels available on the 7010

Without clambering around the room during playback, will the amp assign the ‘spare’ front amps to the heights?

Manual seemed to suggest not
:-(

Setup is
Front L - centre - front R
Rear L & R
Front height L & R
Rear height L & R
Sub

Thanks
Lighty

Jase

Distinguished Member
The switching noise is normal. My 7010 does the same and I'm using power amps for all the channels in a 7.1.4 setup apart from the Surround Backs.

It also made the same noise when I had a 5.1.4 setup with the 7010 used for processing only.

Lighty

My other question ...

Is there a way to force the sub to be on with music?
2.1 effectively

Front pair are ‘large’ but would benefit from some low down grunt!

Jase

Distinguished Member
My other question ...

Is there a way to force the sub to be on with music?
2.1 effectively

Front pair are ‘large’ but would benefit from some low down grunt!
You can use the 2CH Advanced Playback menu to set a different configuration for Stereo. Go to the main menu - Speakers - Manual Setup - 2CH Advanced Playback and change the setting from Auto to Manual and set the SW to LFE+Main.

Ideally, you'd leave the main speaker settings as all Small, Bass to LFE then set the 2CH mode to whatever you want, such as Large, LFE+Main etc. This would give you the best of both worlds for movies and music.

Alternatively, just set all speakers to small, bass to LFE for everything then use Stereo Mode for music.

Last edited:

Lighty

Off topic but I’ve caught the zone select button on my remote
I can only seem to control zones 2 and 3 now
Not using them and I have managed to power off zones 2 and 3
?!^?
How do I get back to main zone ?
Tried the manual ... no joy
Good job I have a harmony otherwise I’d be stuffed!

Lighty

Cracked it ... google in the end

TechNo9999

Novice Member
Guys

Just added front heights for atmos and noticed the power amp switching between front height and rear height during audessey

I preout the front pair to a power amp so have 7 channels available on the 7010

Without clambering around the room during playback, will the amp assign the ‘spare’ front amps to the heights?

Manual seemed to suggest not
:-(

Setup is
Front L - centre - front R
Rear L & R
Front height L & R
Rear height L & R
Sub

Thanks
Lighty

TechNo9999

Novice Member
Hi - how did you set it up for front pre-out?
I have the SR7012 and not able to figure out how to use an external amp only for the front L/R and then have the 7012 power rest of the 7 speakers. I am hoping that it will also divert all the amplification power to 7 instead of 9.

Jase

Distinguished Member
I have the SR7012 and not able to figure out how to use an external amp only for the front L/R and then have the 7012 power rest of the 7 speakers. I am hoping that it will also divert all the amplification power to 7 instead of 9.
The Pre-Outs are always active so just plug your power amp into the Front Left and Front Right Pre-Outs and then the rest of your speakers into their relevant speaker terminals.

Then go into the Amp Assign menu and select the Floor Layout and number of Height Speakers etc.

gibbsy

Follow the advice given above. You can check the amp assign on the onscreen menu which will show the front left and right as pre-out. You will have to run Audyssey again.

TechNo9999

Novice Member
Follow the advice given above. You can check the amp assign on the onscreen menu which will show the front left and right as pre-out. You will have to run Audyssey again.
THanks Jase, Gibbsy. I have set up Amp assign as 9.1 - but it does not show an option for pre-out. If I try 7.1 then it does not have a pre-out for front speakers. Maybe i am missing something here. Also if the pre-outs are always on; does the Marantz distribute the power to the remaining channels (those not on pre-out on its' own?

gibbsy

Pre-out is not an option. It will not show up as such. Use the front left and right pre-outs and connect the RCA from the power amp. The speakers must then be wired into that power amp. Turn both receiver and power amp on and check the onscreen of the speaker assign. It should show the words pre-out above the front left and right speaker terminal.

Forget looking for an option on the menu, it's not there as the pre-outs are always live and just take the connection of the RCA to activate it.

Perhaps someone else could put a screen shot up from either a Denon or Marantz, both are exactly the same. At the moment my 6200 is not directly connected to my TV since the new set was delivered.

TechNo9999

Novice Member
3BE46AE0-F198-43F2-89B9-A1831ADD427C.jpeg
1CC73029-A62E-455C-98E4-FB3F11723CEB.jpeg
Thanks - I was assuming that there would be a menu option for pre-outs and got confused.
Uploaded a couple of pictures of the amp assign and terminal config screens.
Still not 100% sure if the pre-out is helping divert the amplification power to the other speakers.

Last edited:

gibbsy

You should see 'Pre' above the front speakers on the bottom image when they are connected.

TechNo9999

Novice Member
ABC3CC93-3962-461B-A1A3-24C7DE1F11B1.jpeg
hmm.. I have connected the front L/R pre-out to the External Amps. I don;t see any change in the bottom image when connected.
looks like you have to change amp assign to 11.1 to get the pre-out. And choose floor layout as 5ch & sb even though I don’t have surround back speakers.
You can they go and set the Surround back speakers to “none” in the speaker config.

TimmyTwoShoes

Novice Member
Hi guys,
Looking at a 7010, but I have a few questions:

1 I have FL & FR through pre out, but will it let me reassign the SL & SR to FL & FR to duplicate stereo?

2 does it support profiles to map different configurations and allow switching between them?

gibbsy

Hi guys,
Looking at a 7010, but I have a few questions:

1 I have FL & FR through pre out, but will it let me reassign the SL & SR to FL & FR to duplicate stereo?

2 does it support profiles to map different configurations and allow switching between them?
You can select all channel stereo for mirrored audio in both front and surround speakers on the audio select buttons.

The pre-outs are simply that. They will only support the front left and right as such with the power only going to the connected amp.

Darren Heal

View attachment 1145267 View attachment 1145265
Still not 100% sure if the pre-out is helping divert the amplification power to the other speakers.
In short the electronics will feed the required current, and therefore power, to each internally amplified channel, as the pre-amp signal into that power amp channel dictates, up to the point where the power supply can't deliver any more power.

There has to be a speaker connected to the output terminals on the back of the AVR for that channel. If a speaker isn't connected, there isn't a circuit, so it can't draw amps, so it doesn't draw power from the internal power supply. BUT, if that channel isn't drawing current it means the power supply has more capacity to drive the channels that do have a speaker connected to them.

You have to tell the AVR in the setup menu which speakers you've got connected directly to the AVR and which, if any, you are using the "Amp Assign" facility to, um, assign them to external power amplifiers. No good expecting your Atmos overheads to produce sound if you haven't "told" the AVR you have them. The electronics won't produce the pre-amp signal for Atmos overheads if it thinks there aren't any Atmos overheads to drive, for example.

The limiting factor for the internally amplified channels is ultimately the power supply of the AVR, which in the case of the 7010 is stated on the Marantz US website to draw up to 750 watts. You won't get all of this out as pure audio power, of course, so let's say you'll get 700 watts. If you've got 5 speakers connected you can't expect more than 700/5 = 140 watts sustained power. 7 channels? That's 700/7 = 100 watts sustained power, and so on. Sure, movie soundtracks aren't constant pure sine waves, so some channels will get louder and some quieter, and sure the power capacitors deliver very short duration boosts for those "kaboom" moments, but feed in a pure sine wave and that's what you'll get.

If you can't hear any Atmos overhead or surround sound output at any point it's probably because there isn't any Atmos or surround sound effect being generated at that point in the movie. Run the test tone facility on the AVR and you'll get the same signal being fed to each channel sequentially, however.

From practical experience, I've just hooked up my front left and front right channels to an Onkyo M-5010 75 WPC external stereo power amp. Well, two actually, one for the in-walls and one for the floorstanders. Anyway. The effect has been to liberate the power supply inside the AVR to make the other nine channels (I have an 11.2 system based on a 7010) really sing out loud and proud, as the power supply is freed up to deliver all of its power to the surrounds and overheads, as they demand. This is far better than what I had been doing, using the same power amp to drive the rear Atmos overheads, where the juice available from the external power amp really wasn't being used to its full effect whatsoever.

Lots of technical guff could follow, but that's the bottom line.

Top Bottom