Marantz SR7009 suddenly very sluggish changing inputs

Bert Coules

Prominent Member
Reaction score
The heading says it, really: for the past couple of days my Marantz SR7009 has been taking an unusually long time to switch between HDMI inputs: anything up to ten seconds where it used to be vastly quicker. In every other respect the amp seems to be functioning perfectly.

Nothing has changed that I'm aware of. Is this a known symptom of something?

Many thanks.

First thing I'd be trying is a factory reset.

Oddly, the factory reset didn't happen. The manual is packed away, but the instructions I found online didn't perform the initialisation. This is what I tried:

Power off
Hold down GAME and A-DSX
Power on
Wait for message "Initialized"
Release GAME and A-DSX

I never got the message. Even with the selection buttons held down the amp simply switched back on normally.

I'll recheck the procedure...

LATER:

Ah. I didn't work because I hadn't powered down Zone 2: once I did that, the reset went through. But unfortunately it hasn't solved the problem.

I have noticed one change: before this delay set in, I used to be presented with a message when I switched on the amp informing me that an upgrade was available (Auro). That doesn't appear any more. I don't know if that's significant.

Last edited:
It's possibly auto-updated in that case? What does this Auro update do (or supposed to)?

Thanks for the thought, but it won't have auto-updated: you have to pay for the upgrade. It's Auro-3D, an alternative to Dolby's Atmos.

Are there any firmware updates available for the unit?

No, it's up to date. But I've just heard back from Marantz who suggest that if a factory reset doesn't cure it I should try reloading the software from a USB stick. Which sounds a touch drastic.

No, it's up to date. But I've just heard back from Marantz who suggest that if a factory reset doesn't cure it I should try reloading the software from a USB stick. Which sounds a touch drastic.
Not really. That sounds like they think something may have got corrupted. All you'd be doing is a fresh install. Backup or note your current settings first.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom