Marantz SR7009: crackle in left channel in surround mode

annekrijn

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Last year I bought a second hand SR7009 and generally very happy with it.

But what I noticed recently is, when watching a movie in 5.0 surround mode, there is a very badly sounding "crackle" in the left front channel. It happens when there's low frequency sound, e.g. these suspense swelling sounds or an explosion or something similar. It sounds a bit like a driver is blown, but it's not. I've switched out the speakers and the problem persists in the same channel. My front A speakers are a pair of Q-acoustics 2050i's.

In stereo mode, it's perfectly fine, no problems at all.

I've already checked all the connections, put decent quality banana plugs on all of them.

Before I take it to the shop (and without any warranty anymore, it will be costly...), does anyone have a clue as to what it could be?

Thanks in advance, best regards,
Anne-Krijn

If you do not use a subwoofer the front speakers will probably automatically be set to large by the receiver, a movies bass (LFE) would then be too much for your speakers even though they are floorstanding. Have a look in the setup menu and set them to small if this is the case and the crossover point to 80Hz.

Last edited:
If you do not use a subwoofer the front speakers will probably automatically be set to large by the receiver, a movies bass (LFE) would then be too much for your speakers even though they are floorstanding. Have a look in the setup menu and set them to small if this is the case and the crossover point to 80Hz.

Thanks for your reply.

The crossoverpoint is set at 80 Hz.
The receiver won't let me set the front speakers to 'small' when I disable the subwoofer. I have to set the number of subs to at least 1 to be able to set the front speakers to 'small'.

The crackle occurs also at low volume. Isn't it weird that a substantial speaker as the 2050i struggles so badly at these frequencies? And why would it not change with the speaker, but stay in the same channel when I've switched them?

All I can think of is that there is a 'dry' joint in part of that channels circuit.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom