Marantz SR7009 AV amp: twin HDMI output problem

A belated follow-up: the Monitor 2 HDMI output (which duplicates Monitor 1) now appears to have stopped working entirely.

I don't recall it being separately configurable but I'll go through the manual and check, just in case the relevant setting has somehow changed.

Edited to add:

Ah: it is separately configurable. Problem solved (but not the basic HDMI incompatibility one, sadly).

Last edited:
The second output is simply a mirror of the main output and subject to the same settings applicable to the main output. It can however be independently turned off from within the settings.

As I discovered: your post overlapped with my addendum. Thanks.

Dante01, as a matter of interest, do you know of any AV amp/receiver which provides three paralleled HDMI outputs?

Last edited:
Dante01, as a matter of interest, do you know of any AV amp/receiver which provides three paralleled HDMI outputs?

No, the closest you'd get is 2 mirrored/parallel outputs alongside a third second HDMI zone output. The second zone output simply acts to pass a signal through the AV receiver though and the AV receiver plays no part in processing either the audio or the video being handled by that output.

What you basically need is an HDMI splitter. You can use such a device to give you multiple mirrored HDMI outputs.

No, the closest you'd get is 2 mirrored/parallel outputs alongside a third second HDMI zone output.

Which is exactly what I have with the Marantz SR7009.

What you basically need is an HDMI splitter. You can use such a device to give you multiple mirrored HDMI outputs.

That's the setup I used entirely satisfactorily, until I replaced one of my TVs with a newer model (as outlined in my original post): this seemed to throw the HDMI connections completely out of whack, which meant the splitter no longer worked and I had to rersort to fairly constant plugging and unplugging.

It is the different capabilities of the 2 displays that cause the issues. The source will use the EDID of the least capable of the 2 to determone what video it can output. The EDIDs are still broadcast even if the TVs are in standby. Try turning the TV not in use off at the mains while not in use to avoid its EDID being read and influencing the source and or it causing conflicts.

Thanks for the idea. I've also wondered about replacing the second (older) TV with the same model as the newer: would that stabilise things, do you think?

Having 2 TVs able to handle the same video would in theory negate the issues associated with having 2 displays with different video handling capabilities. The TV's wouldn't necessarily have to be the exact same TV to achieve this and you'd simply need to ensure that the source is outputting video that both displays can handle. Ensuring that they and the AV receiver are all compliant with the same version of HDCP is also beneficial.

Last edited:
Hi Bert

Only just spotted you had tagged me earlier in the thread.

Dual HDMI Output AVR can be a real fiddle - your choice of HDMI cable (if you have one long cable) can also be relevant.

Where you have differing capabilities at the Sync (Display, AVR etc) things get more complicated too.

Audio can also be a hassle when trying to share a source unless you are happy to allow the least capable device restrict what the Source is Outputting.

Have you had a look at the HDFury Vertex2, DIVA or upcoming VRRoom, those may be the way to go with four HDMI Inputs and various Output permutations.

Joe

Hi Joe, thanks for posting. I'm no nearer to solving this, so your recommendations are very welcome.

The current setup is this:

Monitor 1 -> Splitter -> TV1 (via short cable) & TV2 (via very much longer cable)
Monitor 2 -> Projector

TV 1 (the main set) and TV2 (the other room set) are identical LG models.

If I switch on the Marantz amp and then TV1 I get no image or sound. But if I then switch on TV2 then sometimes both sets burst into life. If that doesn't happen, then sometimes switching channels on the amp away from Sat to another source and back again will result in a picture on both TVs.

Oh and (again) sometimes, one or both sets will show a "Does not support HDPC" message.

Once TV1 is active I can switch off TV2, which makes no difference to the situation. Also I can power up the projector which immediately comes to life. I can then switch off TV1 without affecting the pj.

I've tried every combination of connections I can think of and this is the most reliable (which isn't saying much!). The whole thing is frustrating in the extreme and rather makes me nostalgic for the simpler days of yore.

Last edited:
Nostalgia for banging the top of the TV and twiddling the tuning knob to get a picture :)

Some combinations of HDMI kit never seem to play nice and the HDMI circuits in Dual Output AVR’s lack the sophistication to handle or manipulate the handshake when things are not going to plan.

CEC is something to confirm you have turned off as that can cause issues too.

The HDFury Vertex2 would be worth considering with Sources connected to the Vertex2 then HDMI Out to A. TV, B. Projector and C. HDMI Audio to your AVR and take the AVR out of the video signal path.

Joe

CEC is something to confirm you have turned off as that can cause issues too.

The HDFury Vertex2 would be worth considering with Sources connected to the Vertex2 then HDMI Out to A. TV, B. Projector and C. HDMI Audio to your AVR and take the AVR out of the video signal path.

Joe, thanks for that.

Both of my LG 22TN410V TVs have CEC turned off, as does my Marantz SR7009.

I'll take a proper look at the HDFury Vertex2, but from a first glance it strikes me as possibly being something of a sledgehammer to crack a nut: a device which costs several hundred pounds does seem like overkill when all I want to do is send the same video signal simultaneously to two TVs or one TV and a projector. But of course I could be wrong...

Last edited:
Hi Bert

The simple stuff is often way more complex than you would want/expect with HDMI.

HDFury do have the lower cost 2x2 platform (Integral, Integral2 and Vertex) you could consider - though no dedicated HDMI Audio out if you also require two Video Out.

Joe

The simple stuff is often way more complex than you would want/expect with HDMI.

HDFury do have the lower cost 2x2 platform (Integral, Integral2 and Vertex) you could consider - though no dedicated HDMI Audio out if you also require two Video Out.
Thanks, Joe; I take your point. I'll check out the lower cost units - do you stock them? I don't need HDMI audio out.

Joe, thanks for the speedy reply. May I ask the prices of the relevant units?

Cheers Bert

See the attached web page - note we sometimes have Open Box units (full warranty etc) and as new condition, saves you a few £££ when we have them available.

Joe

Joe, thanks. Looking through that list has reminded me that I did once try the HDFury "Dr HDMI" unit for a very similar problem with an earlier setup and unfortunately it didn't resolve it. Do you think that if I were to try, say, the Integral, which I see you do have as an open box item, it's likely to be more successful with my Marantz/LG system?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom