Marantz SR7009 AV amp: twin HDMI output problem

Bert Coules

I'd be grateful for any thoughts on this. My Marantz SR7009 receiver, bought in 2014, has a duplicated main HDMI AV output (Monitor 1 & 2). My projector is fed from Monitor 1 and a TV from Monitor 2. They're never both powered up at the same time.

Recently I changed the TV and since then neither it nor the projector can lock on to a signal from the amp unless I unplug the HDMI lead from the other unit. (I understand that HDMI carries power even if its set is switched off, which presumably explains why the unplugging works: it could be the power rather than the AV signal which is the culprit.)

The projector is a JVC X700 bought in 2016, the TV a much more recent LG model purchased a few months ago.

My question is this: if I were to feed the TV and the projector via an HDMI switch connected to just one of the Marantz Monitor outputs, is that likely to be stable? Do such switches kill the power as well as the signal from the unselected set?

Many thanks.

Last edited:

Bert Coules

Just to add to my original post...

I discovered today that plugging the new TV into the Marantz's Zone 2 output has the same effect: it destabilises the picture and sound from the two Monitor (ie Zone 1) outputs - but only if Zone 2 is set to the same source as Zone 1. Changing the Zone 2 source restores stability to the main output.

And crucially, the new TV displays a rock-steady picture of whatever different source Zone 2 is set to.

Which suggests - possibly - that it's the general HDMI circuitry in the amp that's causing the problem.

Last edited:

dazg81

Hi I have the same problem with a SR7015 and an LGCX and a JVC N5
Marantz were no use when I contacted them I ended up giving up and put it down to them 2 conflicting with picture settings.
One work around I had was out a smart plug on the Tv to power this down fully when using the projector but why should we need work arounds it should just work.

Streamer73

I get round this by using the Quick Select function on my Denon (may be called Smart Select on your Marantz):

For the TV, change the video out to HDMI 1 (under HDMI Setup):

Change any other settings you like (input, volume etc. Full list of available selections here: Changing the settings SR7009)

Press and hold Quick/Smart Select 1 until the display confirms the change.

Repeat the above for the projector but choose HDMI 2 for the video out and press and hold Quick/Smart Select 2 until confirmed.

You can then change between the TV and the projector using the Quick/Smart select buttons on the remote or front panel. If you have a Harmony remote and separate Activities you can include the relevant Quick/Smart select buttons into each activity so the video output is changed each time.

Good luck!

Bert Coules

I get round this by using the Quick Select function on my Denon (may be called Smart Select on your Marantz):
Thanks for that. I've never used - and actually I don't think I've ever consciously noticed - the four Smart Select buttons on the remote. I'll give it a try.

Streamer73

Ps. Ideally you should have your TV connected to HDMI 1 and the PJ to HDMI 2, if only to be able to use ARC between the TV and receiver...

Streamer73

Thanks for that. I've never used - and actually I don't think I've ever consciously noticed - the four Smart Select buttons on the remote. I'll give it a try.

I was having the same issue, when left to the ‘Auto’ video out setting the amp would use the lowest common denominator settings wise and would cause all sorts of issues even with the PJ off. Being able to set the required video output completely fixed the issue,

Bert Coules

Being able to set the required video output completely fixed the issue.
And it's worked for me, too, many thanks. It's a little bit of a fiddle having not just to power everything up but also to remember which Smart Select option is which (and which is already Smart Selected) but no doubt I'll get used to it.

The next thing to think about is that ideally, in a new setup, I need to send the output of the Marantz to three independent displays, such that when the source is changed for one it changes for them all. As things stand it's not possible without feeding a splitter from one of the two main Monitor outs, and the gods alone know what HDMI complications that's likely to cause...

Streamer73

And it's worked for me, too, many thanks. It's a little bit of a fiddle having not just to power everything up but also to remember which Smart Select option is which (and which is already Smart Selected) but no doubt I'll get used to it.

The next thing to think about is that ideally, in a new setup, I need to send the output of the Marantz to three independent displays, such that when the source is changed for one it changes for them all. As things stand it's not possible without feeding a splitter from one of the two main Monitor outs, and the gods alone know what HDMI complications that's likely to cause...

Probably loads! Do you have a Harmony or similar ‘smart’ remote?

Bert Coules

Probably loads! Do you have a Harmony or similar ‘smart’ remote?
Thanks for confirming my suspicions! No, I don't have a smart remote but it's something I've been thinking about. Would it help, in this three-simultaneous-output situation?

Bert Coules

Being able to set the required video output completely fixed the issue,
One small drawback has appeared: as I said yesterday, the picture on all displays locks almost instantly, but the sound is not as stable: as often as not, changing from select 1 to 2 or back gives an image but no audio. I've found that turning the amp off and on again usually cures it, but it's a mildly annoying niggle.

Bert Coules

Well this is still not resolved: the audio problems didn't go away. I think that what I need is an HDMI switch, to make the setup this:

Amp ->
Switch output 1 -> Projector
Switch output 2 -> TV

But the switch will have to disconnect the unselected output entirely - the equivalent of unplugging the connection. Can anyone recommend a switch which does that? @Joe Fernand ?

Many thanks.

Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
Well this is still not resolved: the audio problems didn't go away. I think that what I need is an HDMI switch, to make the setup this:

Amp ->
Switch output 1 -> Projector
Switch output 2 -> TV

But the switch will have to disconnect the unselected output entirely - the equivalent of unplugging the connection. Can anyone recommend a switch which does that? @Joe Fernand ?

Many thanks.

You are describing an HDMI splitter and not a switch. A switch has multiple inputs and only one output.

Note that using a splitter will not preven the devices present from sending EDID data back into the HDMI chaoin. Both devices will still be detected by the source and the least capable of the 2 will determine what that source or the AV receiver outputs.

Simply unplug the PJ from the mains supply while using the TV or ubplug the TV while using the PJ. This prevents HDMI handshake conflicts between the TV and the PJ and will also negate the EDID associuated with the device you ubplug.

You can also turn the unused devices output off via the receiver's main settings, but this requires that you dig down into the settings. THe AV receiver doesn't include an iotion to switch between the output via the remote. You could assign the different configurations to different SCENES though?

Bert Coules

You are describing an HDMI splitter and not a switch. A switch has multiple inputs and only one output.
Thank you, but I'm quite sure I've seen switches with that configuration: I'm well aware of the difference between switching and splitting.

Note that using a splitter will not prevent the devices present from sending EDID data back into the HDMI chain.
Which is why I'm not intending to use a splitter.

I did do so with an earlier TV, with perfect results; it's only since replacing the set that the HDMI incompatibility has become a problem.

Simply unplug the PJ from the mains supply while using the TV or unplug the TV while using the PJ.
Which is exactly what I have to do at present. It might be simple but it's extremely inelegant and I find it hard to believe that there isn't a better way.

You could assign the different configurations to different SCENES though?
Thank you for the thought but I don't know what that means. I'll investigate.

Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
You can get dual purpose devices that can act as either a switch or a splitter, but a splitter is the term techniucally used to describe a device with multiple inputs and just one output. You want the opposite to this.

There's also the option of a device that has both multiple inputs and more than one output. This is referred to as an HDMI matrx.

Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
Thank you, but I'm quite sure I've seen switches with that configuration: I'm well aware of the difference between switching and splitting.

Which is why I'm not intending to use a splitter.

I did do so with an earlier TV, with perfect results; it's only since replacing the set that the HDMI incompatibility has become a problem.

Which is exactly what I have to do at present. It might be simple but it's extremely inelegant and I find it hard to believe that there isn't a better way.

Thank you for the thought but I don't know what that means. I'll investigate.

First thing to try is the turning off at the power.unplugging that I suggested. If this works then you can be assured that turning off the unused output while not in use will also work. THe switching settings associated with this can be saved to the receiver's QUICK SELECT buttons. You can therefore have an option with each set to 2 different QUICK select buttons.

Bert Coules

Thanks for explaining that: as I mentioned above, I already tried it (on someone else's suggestion) and it worked beautifully on the video signal but the audio was unstable: sometimes there, more often not.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Thanks for explaining that: as I mentioned above, I already tried it (on someone else's suggestion) and it worked beautifully on the video signal but the audio was unstable: sometimes there, more often not.
Not at all sure as to why that would be the case unless there's a conflict between the actual source and the AV receiver? Do you get this behaviour irrespective of whether using the TV or using the PJ?

Last edited:

Bert Coules

Do you get this behaviour irrespective of whether using the TV or using the PJ?
To be honest, I don't now remember: I didn't stick with that configuration very long. I'll set it up again and see what happens. Thanks for the prompt.

Bert Coules

Well, that was interesting: this time, it wasn't just the audio that was unstable, it was the video too. So to try to track down the cause, I powered everything down and unplugged the TV from the amp, so I had the simplest possible setup: just the the amp's Monitor 1 output connected directly to the projector.

And there was no signal. Or rather, eventually, there was a flashing, glitchy, unstable picture.

Edited to add:

Instability traced to having accidentally switched the Marantz upscaling to 4K. The poor projector tried its best...

I'm now back to where I was, with everything working but having to unplug the new TV (even when it's switched off) to get the projector to function. Inelegant.

Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
To rule out or determine whether the PJ is at fault then reverse the test and disconnect the PJ while outputtting a signal to the TV. If the issue persists then it isn't the PJ causing the issue and would be looking increasingly to be something caused by either the AV receiver or a source or sources?

Is the issue prevalent with all your sources? If so then the issue is even more likely to be with the AV receiver.

dazg81

I have the exact same problem and only solution is unplugging the projector
It only happens on 4K sources for me I.e Apple TV/Xbox , sky and bT vision is fine.

and to get the projector working I have to power off the TV at the plug

Bert Coules

To rule out or determine whether the PJ is at fault then reverse the test and disconnect the PJ while outputtting a signal to the TV.

Reversing the test has this effect: the TV works perfectly whether the projector is connected to the amp or not.

This is the case for all my inputs.

Last edited:

Bert Coules

I have the exact same problem and only solution is unplugging the projector.
Thanks. It's reassuring to know that I'm not alone, but I'm sorry you're also having this sort of trouble.

...and to get the projector working I have to power off the TV at the plug.
I haven't tried that: I wonder if it would work for me, as an alternative to disconnecting the TV's HDMI connection to the amp? Still inelegant, though.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Toy Stories - Turning Toys into Blockbuster Movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sky Q to launch Paramount+ in 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix subscriptions overtake pay TV for UK viewers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 4th August 2021