Marantz SR7007 7.2 channel AV Receiver Review

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by The News Bot, Mar 4, 2013.

Tags:

1. The News Bot

The News Bot
      News Supplying Robot

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +446
      Reviewed by Stephen Withers, 4th March 2013. Ultimately, the Marantz SR7007 is a great all-rounder, delivering a comprehensive feature set and highly competent performance for a reasonable price. There are certainly better performers out there but at this price point the SR7007 holds its own admirably and is definitely worth your consideration.
      Read the full review...

2. DrSy

DrSy

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +16
      Good review, thanks:)

If anyone's considering buying this it's worth noting that this is already available for £800 online if you shop around with some AVF assured advertisers.

I think this is also somewhat relevant to the review comments about price point comparisons with the competition, which is quite different at £800 vs £1300.

I know you can always get things below rrp but I think a 40% drop so quickly's worth pointing out.

3. scavttt

scavttt

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +13
      Good review.

I have to say though that I have moved from an Onkyo 809 to this receiver and actually enjoy the sound from the Marantz so much better.

I am using B&W 684 speakers for the front and the overall quality is excellent from the Marantz and at no times do I feel as if it is struggling when playing music.

The surround sound for movies is more realistic than the Onkyo which I found to be too much "in your face" and emphasised the booms and bangs but did not provide as much clarity on speech. I am hard of hearing and at similar volume levels I can hear clearly the speech and smaller effects from the Marantz with nothing that appears as if it is struggling, had to use the subtitles with the Onkyo as it did not seperate the sounds as well and provide clarity.

Used to power the speakers with a Rotel control amplifier and 2 Rotel power amps and can honestly say that the Marantz is better for music playback than the Rotel set up.

Just my opinion and everyone has different tastes but I most certainly would not discount this receiver, especially with the price at the moment as pointed out by the previous poster. :thumbsup:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • List
    4. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,571
      You're quite DrSy, at £800 the SR7007 is a real bargain.

Scavttt, it's true that when it comes to audio quality things get very subjective but I agree with you, the less aggressive nature of the SR7007 means it brings out greater detail than some of its more powerful competitors. I certainly wouldn't discount the SR7007, which is why I gave it a recommended badge.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
    5. scavttt

scavttt

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +13
      Thanks for the response and apologies for the delay in acknowledging.

Spot on, everyone has different opinions and the recommended badge says it all with the 7007 :smashin:

6. s2driveruk

s2driveruk

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +12
      Great to see a review on this box, can you do a repeat on the much mentioned Denon clone to see if we can put a line under that topic :D

I have a couple of constructive observations i wanted to share:

In the PROs section you call out build as 'Superb' yet in the review you comment as 'reasonable and lacking the feel and weight' and in the tick list call it 'good' which looks a tad inconsistent to a casual reader. I'm not sure if 'weight' adds weight, surely its about the sound and experience it delivers?

Two-channel audio and dynamic range get a 'good' yet i think without exception every other review i have read on this box its a highlight and a Marantz strength? Can you let us know what the setup was (speakers and mode used, e.g. Pure Direct) as curious. If there is one thing people comment on time and again on my only 7005 and (its warranty replacement) 7007 is stereo sound performance.

Totally agree on the app...it could do with some time being invested to make it more responsive to drive some of the network based functions as there is noticable lag at times. I have seen 3 updates in recent months so looks like they are starting to invest effort which is good and a nice touch that you can drive your spotify through it.

There doesn't appear to be any reference to 192/24 HD audio support which is missing from some higher priced competition.

Would also be a good touch to confirm which others that have been reviewed would be its natural competitors and link to them?

Would be great to see some group tests from you guys - especially to challenge What-HiFi versions with some extra details :thumbsup:

Cheers
      David

7. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,571
      You're quite right, that "Superb Build Quality" in the pros column shouldn't be there - thanks for pointing that out, I've removed it. I agree that weight shouldn't necessarily be a factor, I was just trying to draw attention to the fact that it was noticeably lighter than much of the competition. As I mentioned in the review, there was also a surprising amount of empty space inside the chassis, which is unusual when most receivers these days seem to be packed to the gills!

I actually thought the two-channel performance was very good on the SR7007, especially compared to its more bombastic Japanese brethren but perhaps I didn't make that clear. I thought it had a more subtle less aggressive sound but it still wasn't as good as the Anthem MRX300, which remains the undisputed king for two-channel music listening. The actual speakers being used can vary but I always like to try both a 2.0 configuration with floorstanders and a 2.1 setup with a subwoofer for two-channel listening.

I think I might have forgotten to mention the 192/24 HD audio support, I'll add something.

Thanks for the suggestion about including links to comparable products that we've reviewed, we do on occasion add links into reviews but we are looking at creating something more formal.

Whilst we would certainly like to do more group tests, if only because it provides an opportunity for more direct comparison, they can be problematic. Partly it comes down to having the time and the space but, perhaps more importantly, it's dependent on being able to coordinate multiple manufacturers and PR companies to get all the receivers in at the same time. However, thanks for the suggestion and we'll see what we can do.

8. retrouk

retrouk

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +103
      Hi Steve, many thanks for this review. Would it be possible please to review the Marantz SR6007. Quite interested to see how it compares to the SR7007.
      Also, I've posted a reply on the recent review that you did on the Yamaha RX-A1020 asking which amp is more musical if you were to compare both amps and finally which amp offers the best overall package. Thanks :)

9. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,571
      We're only a small team but we'll see what we can do.

10. retrouk

retrouk

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +103

11. tdizzle342

tdizzle342
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      Ive been looking to upgrade my old marantz sr5001. I've tried a few so far but everyone has a huge flaw.

I've tried Denon 3313ci, Yamaha rx-a1030,Pioneer sc-1527k, the marantz sr7007 i just ordered off Future Shop website just in case i need to return it.

I'm running a 5 channel B&K amp so I don't care if its got alot of juice or not.

My biggest concern is the bass its produces. The Denon 3313ci had terribly muddy bass for me. The RX-A1030 was actually pretty good may go back to that if this marantz doesn't work out.Only thing with the rx-a1030 i couldn't seem to figure out how to play music on stereo 2.1 channel. I was only able to get 2 channel no subwoofer or just a bunch of other configuration like 7 channel, WEIRD!!. The pioneer was just god awful.

You mention there are superior AV Receiver's from competitors. Which one are you talking about specifically?

I'm in dying need of a good receiver with nice tight bass. All that networking, apps and video processing I don't need.

12. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,571
      Depending on your budget, I'd look at Anthem. Thanks to ARC (Anthem Room Correction) I found the bass to be very well integrated and you can run 2.1 if want.

13. jonesbl1

jonesbl1
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0

Hi, I have owned the Marantz SR7007 for a few months and I must say I am really happy...the softness, combined with the power that I woul expect from good music. I have a Dali Zensor 7 and its surround system to play movies, but music is always stereo for me and this is where I love the amp and the set up. Am not sure if it the amp or together with some good speakers (I know there are many out there that could be a lot more expensive and better), but for my room which is approx 8 by 5, it is a very good system. I love listening to lossless audio and there is a huge difference I find when I plan these and the average MP3s...You would have realised a good experience, I can assure you.