Marantz SR7005 Vs Sony Strdn 1080 Vs DENON AVR-X1600H

Topgrin

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello, I sure hope that the title makes some sense. There are so many features on receivers but to me SOUND and music is a priority. So would you recomend the old Marantz or a new Sony/ Denon?
  1. About £500 is my budget
  2. Sources are streamed (Spotify and Amazon Firestick) so sources are relatively low quality
  3. The room is 5m wide x 6m long and 3m high
  4. Speakers are 5.1 Q Acoustic 3050i
I been losing days reading about receivers online and feel no futher along in my quest. hopefully some feedback on these will enlighten me! Thank you in anticipation.

Hello, I sure hope that the title makes some sense. There are so many features on receivers but to me SOUND and music is a priority. So would you recomend the old Marantz or a new Sony/ Denon?
  1. About £500 is my budget
  2. Sources are streamed (Spotify and Amazon Firestick) so sources are relatively low quality
  3. The room is 5m wide x 6m long and 3m high
  4. Speakers are 5.1 Q Acoustic 3050i
I been losing days reading about receivers online and feel no futher along in my quest. hopefully some feedback on these will enlighten me! Thank you in anticipation.
First of all, if sound and music really are important, then you would do yourself a big favour by upgrading to something like Tidal as a source. You know the old adage - S*** in, s*** out.

Secondly, you would probably be better off going for the Marantz. The Sony is a 4 year old design now, and the Denon is a bargain basement option.

The Sony 1080 is a tier above the Denon X1600. The Sony is the older model introduced about four years ago. The Denon would be very easy to set up.

However, the Marantz SR7005 is going to sound the best. You will be limited to using it just for audio though as it is just HDMI 1.4 so you will not be able to route any 4K signals through it. It will blow the other two out of the water for audio quality.

First of all, if sound and music really are important, then you would do yourself a big favour by upgrading to something like Tidal as a source. You know the old adage - S*** in, s*** out.

Secondly, you would probably be better off going for the Marantz. The Sony is a 4 year old design now, and the Denon is a bargain basement option.
Noted on Tidal and its about eh same price too, I must admit I only learn't of it's existence recently. Marantz 1 Others 0 - Many thanks

The Sony 1080 is a tier above the Denon X1600. The Sony is the older model introduced about four years ago. The Denon would be very easy to set up.

However, the Marantz SR7005 is going to sound the best. You will be limited to using it just for audio though as it is just HDMI 1.4 so you will not be able to route any 4K signals through it. It will blow the other two out of the water for audio quality.
Thank you. The plan is to plug the firestick into a new (not bought yet) projector and yes use the receiver for the sound. Would this set up work with the Marantz?

Looks like Covid has quite an effect on 2nd hand prices, i was expecting my Marantz 7010 to be worth less than your budget but the last one sold on here for slightly more than I paid 3 years ago.

The 7005 should certainly sound very similar to mine in which case I'd highly recommend it. Sure an AV amp isn't going to be the last word in music quality but the Marantz is still better than several stereo amps I've owned in the past and one of the better AV amps I've heard. Love mine.

Last edited:
Thank you Jamie, I really am leaning towards the Marantz now. Do you know about it's limitations for video (raised in this thread)? Could I used it as described above in my reply to Gibbsy? Cheers1

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom