• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Marantz SR7001 - Will be get HD Audio ?

Looking at making an offer for the Marantz SR7001 but need to know will I be able to get HD Audio if my player does the sound decoding first ?

I use a 5.1 setup and have not yet got a BLU RAY player so I can choose the right one to use with this amp if possible.
Also the HDMI version I think is 1.2 what will this not do what a 1.3 will ?

Thanks

Tone-uk

There were reports a while back that the 7001 had a bug where it could not accept 7.1 multichannel lpcm - only 5.1 lpcm. This was sorted with a firmware update. So I would suggest a bit of investigation or, obviously, auditioning if there is a possibility of you ever going 7.1. Marantz themselves should be able to tell you via the serial number (they have exceptional customer services).

The differences between HDMI 1.2a and 1.3 are not important and you would gain no benefit with 1.3 other than auto lip sync. The Marantz should be able to do this anyway so even thats irrelevant.
The differences would have provided provided a bit more future proofing IF the film industry ever decided to implement deep color etc (talking years and years) and HDMI 1.4 had not of been implemented!
HDMI 1.4 seems to render 1.3 useless and as future proof as 1.2!

When deciding a blu-ray player ensure you buy one with a "forced 24p" option so that if your tv is 24p or if you ever buy one (don't know why you would!) any handshake problems can be overcome. These problems are not sorted by having hdmi 1.3 (hence having the option) but, less likely since HDMI 1.3 equipment is newer.

By the way the 7001 is an amazing piece of kit and I wish I had one! Hope you can get for a good price.

dante01

Distinguished Member
You can gain more info on HDMI v1.3 here:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/av-amplifiers-receivers/533629-hdmi-v1-3-a.html

The main differences between HDMI versions are summarised below:

HDMI v1.0 supports video (up to 1080p) and audio (using PCM or AC3 or DTS bitstreams)
HDMI v1.1 supports as v1.0 but also supports the transport of MPL (Audio DVD digital data)
HDMI v1.2(a) supports as v1.1 but also supports the transport of DSD (SACD digital data)
HDMI v1.3 supports as 1.2(a) and has the following additional support:
Deeper colour - potential to transport up to 48 bit colour depths
Alternative colour space - potential to carry the xvYCC colourspace
Automatic Lip-sync adjustment - potential to automatically sync audio to video
Higher video resolution - potential to transport up to 1440p video signals
HD Audio Bitstream - potential to carry the digital bitstreams from Dolby and DTS HD audio formats

dante01

Distinguished Member

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom