Marantz sr7001 latency with Hercules MP3 DJ controller

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Kickstone, Feb 2, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Kickstone

Kickstone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll try and explain as best I can but please bear with me because I'm no expert.
    Have a pc connected to my Marantz and have recently bought a Hercules DJ Console Rmx midi controller to be able to mix my mp3's. Don't want to be a DJ but the thought of mixing my own stuff has always appealed to me and these mp3 mixers look quite good.
    The Hercules has it's own inbuilt soundcard which I have connected to the corresponding analog sockets on the Marantz. I also have a set of headphones connected to the Hercules to preview the music so I can mix the next tune in.
    The surround mode on the Marantz has always been set to Multi Channel Music (M-Ch Music) becase I always thought this gave me the best sound with the front speakers and also more importantly the sub.
    Now then, my problem is that when I play the music through my speakers with these settings and try and preview the next song in the headphones connected to the Hercules they are very slightly out of time. The speakers always seem to be slightly delayed to the headphones.
    At first I thought it was the Hercules but after plugging directly into a crappy pair of desktop speakers I realise now it's the Marantz. I'm figuring it's some sort of delay because of the processing. If I select source or pure direct on the Marantz the problem disappears but then I lose my sub. So it looks like I either have my sub but I have delay in the headphones (which is really friggin annoying) or I have no delay but lose my sub.
    I've had a look through the manual, this forum and the internet and can't see any way round this. Sorry for my ignorance but if it's source direct which is just an analog stereo signal then I'm not going to be using my sub? The delay with the M-Ch music isn't huge but it is slight and it just ruins the whole thing. With other modes it can be even worse. I've had a play with the setup on the Marantz and I can't seem to solve the problem with the delay. I don't think it's even possible to get the sub working with the source direct, hope I'm wrong but I doubt I'll be that lucky.
    Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. Gadgetcity

Gadgetcity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    What Sub have you got?
    Does it have a high level input?
    Have you set your front speakers to small in the speaker setup screen on the amp?

3. Kickstone

Kickstone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's an Epos ELS subwoofer and the speakers are the Epos ELS 303. The speakers are set to large in setup. It automatically did this when I ran the EQ calibration and I haven't thought of changing it to be fair. I think the sub has a high level input but if I'm honest I haven't really got my head round the sub settings as I've only owned it for a month and it's the first one I've ever owned. I've just fiddled with the dials until it sounded good. I know that probably sounds really bad! First time I've also owned an AV receiver so I'm still trying to get my head round that.
    When M-Ch is selected then the front speakers and the sub are slightly delayed, when source direct is selected the front speakers are in time.
    Don't know if it matters but I've also got my front speakers biamped through the receiver. When I have it set to M-Ch music on the receiver the speakers sound realy "beefy" but when I set it to source direct the sound dips and I have to really turn it up on the receiver to get the same level even though I don't think it matches it.
    Having looked through the manual of the Marantz the chart at the back says that if I have an analog signal coming in and it is set to M-Ch music then there is a tick next to the Front L/R speakers and also the Sub. If it is set to source or pure direct with an anolog signal then there is only a tick next to the Front L/R so I'm thinking I'm never going to get the sub to work with source direct selected. So I'm hoping I can just get rid of the delay when M-Ch Music is selected.
    As I've said, it's ever so slight the delay but it is there and when you're trying to mix another track in on the Hercules then it makes the whole thing a bit pointless as it doesn't match up when you move the cossfader over.
    Hope this helps.

4. Kickstone

Kickstone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You've got me thinking about setting them to small. I will try when I get in from work. Am I right in thinking that if it is set to small then it thinks you have bookshelf and a sub so it will route a signal to it?
    I've also found this on another forum...
    When you use the source direct feature then your receiver will not send a signal through the low level connection. So in order to make use of your subwoofer in source direct then you need to supply your subwoofer with a signal through the high level connection.
    Gutted if that's right because I'm using what I'm thinking are those connectors on the back of the Marantz to biamp my front speakers. The sub is currently connected to the pre out subwoofer jack.

5. Gadgetcity

Gadgetcity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    There are loads of options. I will explain a few to try and help you understand what you are doing. You don't need to actually try these but I thought the description might help you understand how the audio is being processed.

First of all, the high level input on the sub is designed to be wired in parallel with the front speakers, ie you connect a second cable to the front speaker output. I use bare wire for the front speaker cable and pop a banana plug into the same speaker post for the high level sub input. This info should be in your sub manual. The amp does not supply any power to the sub, the sub just just "sniffs" the signal going to the fronts.
    I don't know what other configurations you use in your system in. I don't know whether you have connected the PC using analogue or optical....
    If you don't use the LFE output directly (DVDs / Bluray) then you can connect the left front pre-out to the low level sub input and that should drive the sub using the front channel bass.

The important thing is to not use any "processed" modes like M-Ch or Dolby as these introduce a processing delay.

----

You can ignore all of that though and try a standard configuration...

I suggest leaving the sub connected to LFE, set the Amp mode to Auto, set the front speakers to small, start with the amp sub crossover set the 120 Hz and have a play with the sub volume. (see Amp manual)

Not sure if that helps at all

Good luck

6. Kickstone

Kickstone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers mate. I tried setting the speakers to small last night and also putting the bass settings to either mix or both, still no joy. Don't think I had it on auto though so I will give that a go.
    PC is connected through analogue. It's when the signal is coming from the Hercules inbuilt soundcard but that is analogue as well.
    I'm going to try the banana plugs in the front speaker outputs on the reciever. Should I take out the LFE connection if I'm doing that? If I'm using the front outputs to connect to the sub will I lose any quality in the sub? (Not that it matters as I've probably got all the dials set incorrectly anway!)
    Cheers for all you help. If anything at least this has made me understand receivers and subs a bit more!

7. Gadgetcity

Gadgetcity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    You can normally connect both the high level and low level signals at the same time (not normal though). I did for a while so that movies had more bass punch for effects but music was more subtly blended.