1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz SR6300

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by asdm12002, May 3, 2003.

Tags:
  1. asdm12002

asdm12002
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought 6300 from Sevenoaks plus have M72 package and bought M5DS for extra 6.1 surrounds. Also have VX10 sub. Problem is the sound is not taking my head off. Running something like Monsters Inc in what shows as DTS ES I get a reasonable volume at setting -2, sometimes to fill the room I have it on 0 db. Q is (are!):-

1) Was given a trailers disc in stereo from UGC Cinemas and that really did have great sound, even at say -7 db when DD and DTS are clearly less full at that level?

2) Why does the volume dial go over 0 db i.e + figures, does this do the amp harm, why is it on what appears to be an infinite dial rather than something like a Yamaha that isn't?

3) Usually leave it on "auto" for DVD's but am finding the centre front is doing all the work and the fr l and r are barely audible. Can people please suggest reasons for this 100w x 6 monster not producing? Whilst I haven't yet done full set up all the test signals work, what + or - settings do people suggest for the individual speaker settings as the centre seems to be dominating too much.

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

2. asdm12002

asdm12002
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    btw i have Van Den Hul the source hybrid 0.8 m digi coax interconnect DVD to receiver and Profigold 5 m sub cable with splitter. Have wired the speakers in using the screw in bare wires method, is there any adv in going for banana plugs?

Andrew

3. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I have no idea what the problem is Andrew. All I can tell you is that the SR7300 I had for a while had no problem giving me loud sound in my 24' by 13' room. -20 for DVD was pretty loud, -25 was about normal for me. -25 to -45 was normal for music.

0 is supposed to represent reference level, but this is only the case after you have calibrated with a SPL meter.