Marantz SR6014 Sound issue

LHunter

Novice Member
Reaction score
First, I am a newbie when it comes to setting up AVRs. I just replaced my living room receiver (Denon) with a Marantz SR6014. The Denon worked great, but it was old and I wanted some new streaming capabilities. The Marantz was set up per the instructions, but when I am watching a TV show or movie, the sound level on the music is extremely loud compared to the voice. So much so, that in many case you will need to lower and then raise the volume numerous times during a show to keep it from driving you nuts.

One thing that is different, is that my TV service is now delivered via an app in Apple TV. That said, I never had an issue with sound level fluctuations in my Apple TV (for movies) previously.

I appreciate any advice.

First, I am a newbie when it comes to setting up AVRs. I just replaced my living room receiver (Denon) with a Marantz SR6014. The Denon worked great, but it was old and I wanted some new streaming capabilities. The Marantz was set up per the instructions, but when I am watching a TV show or movie, the sound level on the music is extremely loud compared to the voice. So much so, that in many case you will need to lower and then raise the volume numerous times during a show to keep it from driving you nuts.

One thing that is different, is that my TV service is now delivered via an app in Apple TV. That said, I never had an issue with sound level fluctuations in my Apple TV (for movies) previously.

I appreciate any advice.
If you have a centre speaker in a 5.1 etc setup try using
Center Level Adjust
Adjusts the center channel volume to clarify the dialog for all sources.

–12.0 dB – +12.0 dB (Default: 0.0 dB)

Last edited:
I do have a 5.1 set up (should have mentioned that). I will give it a shot. Thanks

As above the individual channel levels need to be setup right - I assume you've run Audyssey to set it all up? I agree that after auto calibration then increasing the centre channel can help still.
Also on your AVR also take a look at the Dynamic Volume setting too, it's designed to equalise the lower volume dialogue passages with the loud action stuff to avoid having to jockey the volume control on the remote!

I did use Audyssey to set up the speakers. Thanks, I will look at this today.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom