Question Marantz SR6014 and PIP, useful?

jonsmirl

Novice Member
Reaction score
My Epson 4010 projector supports dual HDMI inputs with PIP at 1080P. I also see that my Marantz SR6014 has dual HDMI outputs. Is this something worth trying to setting up? If I use the PIP button on the projector to swap inputs, the audio isn't going to get swapped. Is there a button on the Marantz remote that swaps the main HDMI outputs?

The Epson is a 4K display, but if I turn on PIP it degrades into two 1080P displays. Note sure how this works if the input signals are 4K.

Ideas to use this for...
Two kids playing on two Xboxes. They have headphones for audio.
Two Rokus with live TV - swap between games.

If this is worth it, I will need to pull second HDMI cable over to the projector on the ceiling. There is no easy way for me to test without pulling another cable.

According to the manual Page 73/74. you cannot use 4K sources with P in P.

Can't see how it would work with video games, as one screen will be too small and will be covering a corner of the larger image.
Could work with live sports as you can change what you are watching with a press of the remote.

So if you are sending 4K source into the projector, and then turn on PIP, what does the projector do? Does it disconnect the source and then offer a new EDID to the receiver without 4K included? If it does that then the receiver should notice and downscale.

I assume it wont work as only one of the HDMI sockets on the projector is HDCP 2.2. (4K)

You should be able to get it to work as long as one of the sources is 1080p and is connected to the HDMI2 port on the projector.

So what is the UI for swapping the sources? If I use the PIP button on the Epson remote, the video source will swap but the audio won't.

I'm also unsure how the dual main outputs work on the SR6014. Are they independent or mirrored? If they are mirrored I can use the second zone (it is unused). Not obvious how to swap the audio around without impacting the HDMI outputs.

This would be a lot simpler if the projector supported eARC. Then the receiver could play the eARC channel and when you pushed the PIP button on the Espon remote, the audio would swap.

There is a PIP button and menu button on the remote, you can swap between them using the remote. Don't think you will get independent audio streams.

The Marantz can output from both HDMI monitor 1 and 2, it's set to dual as default see page 187.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom