Marantz SR6013 Frustrating Protection Mode Issue.

grif3000

Novice Member
I have a Marantz SR6013. It failed after a few months blowing the output transistors in the Front Left channel of the 5 Channel Amp board. This was fixed by Marantz under guarantee. Two years later the amp (now out of guarantee) fails again & enters protection mode. I asked a couple of repair shops to have a look but they all said they would not touch it due to the time & expense involved.

I had a look myself & traced the fault to the Surround Left channel which had two blown Darlington transistors & six blown resistors on the 5 Ch Amp board. I replaced these & put the amp back together. The amp ran fine for a week until the same 8 components failed again on the same channel. I then suspected the speaker / wiring on the Surround Left channel so I replaced the faulty components again & cross-patched the speaker & wires with another channel. This time the amp ran ok for about three days & the same components on the Surround Left channel blew again indicating that the speaker / wiring was not the problem. I stripped the amp down again & thoroughly cross-checked all the components on the 5 Ch Amp board (just using a meter) but could not find any problems. I changed the same 8 components again & they blew again after around a week. The 5 Ch Amp connects to the Speaker Output board which only has a few passive components but includes a relay. Does anyone have any experience of the output relays failing?

Whilst the Marantz Amp appears to have a good build quality I have to question the value of the Protection mode which doesn't seem to work!

Any thoughts or suggestions on this issue greatly appreciated.

dobrykamil

Hi.
Did you use original Darlington output transistors and adjusted idle current per service manual?

grif3000

Novice Member
Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I did set the idle current as per the service manual. I got the transistors from a reputable supplier in the states & they appear to be original. I will however source some others & see what happens. Thanks again for your input.

dobrykamil

You obviously have problem somewhere else. Something is causing Darlingtons base voltage/current to rise too much. I've marked potentially suspected components, especially those 3 transistors that run quite hot. Don't bother testing them as they'll pass, just replace them.

Attachments

• Capture 4.JPG
    Capture 4.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 42

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom