Question Marantz SR6009 protection circuit issue

leonvankessel

Novice Member
Hi ,

I own a Marantz SR6009 since 2015 and since end of 2019 after redoing my living room I have added 2 Dali Oberon surround speakers to the Dali mentor 6 front speakers I already had hooked up to it . Ever since I connected the Oberon speakers I have been having issues with the left surround speaker, It would work for a while but after some time (usually multiple weeks or months) it would stop working. What always helped was to then disconnect the speaker cables of the left speaker from the Marantz and reconnect it. I don’t know why but it always worked. More recently I started to have a different issue. Every now and then protection circuit of the Marantz is triggered making it shut down and the power led will blink twice a second. I started to look into this issues and then came to the conclusion that I actually had the surround speakers connected to the wrong outputs for a whole year already, they were connected to the surround back connection in stead of surround left and right so I changed this .

What I also found was that I did not have the correct impedance settings. It was set to 8 OHM while all 4 speakers are 6 Ohm so I changed that as well. I was hoping that this would fix my issue with the power circuit but it did not. Every other day or so it goes into protection mode often doing this immediately when the Amp is switched on (most of the time is switched on by my Philips 804Oled through the ARC connection) not even having played a sound at all. Pressing the power button twice (once to reset once to switch it on ) always fixes the issue and I can watch TV all evening without issues and often the next day as well. The issue always returns at some point however, might be a day might be a couple of days. I have already checked all speaker cables if they are touching each other or the back of the AMP but that is definitely not the case. I really don’t know what else could be the issue especially since it occurs so randomly and resetting it always fixes the issue temporarily. Therefore I cannot simply remove and add speakers for instance to figure out if they are causing the issue or not as it could take days for it to happen again. Also not sure if faulty speakers are on the table in the first place as they work fine all the time as long as the Amp does not go into protection mode. I am considering to buy a new Amp but since I am not sure it is actually the amp I am quite reluctant . Don’t want to spend a 1000+ on a new one only to find out that the amp was not the issue. Does anyone have ideas on what the issue could be or how to find out what it is.

Léon

dobrykamil

I believe you have amp issue due to DC voltage present at the speakers output. To confirm this, follow the step below:
m1.JPG
m2.JPG

leonvankessel

Novice Member
Hi @dobrykamil,

Many thanks for your spot on answer. I have followed the steps and you are indeed right it says DC. Am I assuming correctly from the manual above that ASO would have meant that a A Short circuit Occurred (which is not the case so no wires touching each other etc) and that DC means that there is abnormal DC output? And given that the cause is DC, what does this now mean? Does it mean that the Marantz is broken and needs fixing and my speakers and cables are fine ?

Last edited:

dobrykamil

Does your amp goes off every time when you power it on?

leonvankessel

Novice Member
@dobrykamil

no it does not. It will work fine for a day maybe or two. Then it will happen again. MOst of the time immediately after switching on. Then after pushing power on twice (first to reset then to switch on ) it will work fine again for a day or two. Switching it on and off multiple times daily and not going in to protection then some time later it does again go into protection

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom