Marantz SR6003 dropouts when listening to DVD-A

LBC8556

Standard Member
When listening and watching a multi channel DVD-A I noticed there were a few dropouts in sound and vision. What I mean is that the picture and sound freeze for about 10 seconds before skipping a little and then resuming. The dvd player is connected to the amp, a Marantz SR 6003, using HDMI. Would connecting using the 5.1 phono plugs solve this problem. The dvd firmware is up to date.

Thanks

dante01

Distinguished Member
Are you using video processing or upscaling on either the DVD player or the amp? If using upscaling on both devices, turn the feature off on at least one of them.

Halloway

The fact that the sound and vision are freezing simultaneously leads me to suspect either the disc or the DVD player. You should stick your ear up to the DVD player when the freeze occurs and see if you can discern the read head making more noise than normal; that's often an indication of a read problem, caused either by the optical head assembly getting stuck or (more likely) the disk being dirty or scratched.

How many DVD-As do you have? Does freezing afflict all of them? Does it happen in the same place on the disk(s)? If you listen to other formats (DTS, AC3, stereo) do you get freezes?

dante01

Distinguished Member
The fact that the sound and vision are freezing simultaneously leads me to suspect either the disc or the DVD player.

But why does it only occur when the signal passes through the AV receiver then?

or is the problem occuring even if the player is connected directly to the TV?

Also, what make and model is the DVD player or playback device?

Last edited:

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
I'm confused. Your post talks about DVD-A and video freezing, but DVD-A is a pure audio format (any video is only a generated table of contents vreated by the player). Also, unless your receiver has DVD-A decoding support (not identified, but also not all that common), you'd need to use the analogue outputs on your DVD-A player to be able to play the DVD-A layer.

Freezing, etc. is usually indicative of a faulty or damaged source or a defective laser / tracking unit in the player. If it happens on multiple source, you should get the player fixed.

LBC8556

Standard Member
The receiver can decode 5.1 via the HDMI connection. DVD-A can also contain video - it is not exclusively an audio format - and the disc I refer to contains video as well as numerous surround sound tracks DD and DTS, and a hi-res (96kHz/24bits) stereo track.

The player is an Oppo DV 980H and is a few weeks old. The disc plays fine on a Blu-ray player connected in a similar manner using a HDMI cable, not analogue inputs. So far it is the only DVD-A disc I've had a problem with.

Thanks for all your replies.

Last edited:

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
Since it's the only problem disk, I suggest you return it as faulty, even it plays on your Bluray player.

LBC8556

Standard Member
Funnily enough I've been in touch with the disc manufacturer who lives "down the road" from Oppo, and he has agreed to send a copy to Oppo for evaluation. So I await further developments.

I've a feeling the disc is okay and the trouble lies with the player's firmware, or, I have a dud player. Time will tell. Interestingly, the disc manufacturer are in the process of preparing a sampler disc to be bundled with the new Oppo BD83.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom