1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz SR5500 /PLII no subwoofer present

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by luxman100, Feb 21, 2005.

Tags:
  1. luxman100

luxman100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have a new Marantz SR5500 receiver. I have a little problem. In Dolby PLII mode there is no
    subwoofer present when listening stereo (PCM) music/ movie. In settings all speakers are set to LARGE
    and bass mix : both
    When listening movies (with pcm-stereo sound) from Dibibox, it would be nice if subwoofer is present.

Can someone SR5500 owner confirm, should it be so or is it something wrong in my receiver.

(sorry my bad english)

2. F G Evans

F G Evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    try setting the speakers to small instead. that way the low frequency sounds will be output through the sub woofer. Pro logic II does not have a dedicted .1 channal so force the sound through by putting the speakers on small settings

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    You won't get any sub output in DPL2 if your centre and rears are set to large. Set them to small, leave your main speakers at large if you want with bass mix to Both and you should be getting somewhere.

Bear in mind that it's rare to get much low frequency action from DPL2 at the best of times. :)

4. Diamond

Diamond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DTS: Neo6 is also way better than PLII.

5. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    I think that is a matter of preference, I used to prefer DTS:Neo6, but now much prefer DPLIIx.

6. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    The Neo6/DPL/CS/proprietry argument depends very much on the equipment you're using and what DACs it uses to implement the algorithms.

The latest versions of DPL2x are excellent in my opinion, but I wouldn't say Neo6 was worse just different. Circle Surround2 is my favourite for the occasions I dabble in surround music. :)