Marantz SR5500- initial performance review

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by santokatti, Oct 26, 2004.

Tags:
  1. santokatti

santokatti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks

I bought the Marantz SR5500 last week, and have testing it out. Here is my initial assessment- will keep adding to this as I learn more about it. For now, I have just focussed on audio performance and some features I have picked up.

Overall, very impressive new piece of equipment from Marantz. The specific improvements I have noticed are improved audio detailing, even at very low volumes, and addition of surround modes that even make two channel music sound great. I am very happy with the frequency response across all ranges- but am still trying to figure out how to get the sub working right. I have connected the sub via the pre amp output from the receiver, and am struggling to get a seamless integration with the main speakers. Though I have set the AV receiver cutoff for main speaker at 120 Hz, when my sub filter cutoff is set at 120 Hz, the sub does not fire uniformly. If I increase cutoff to 130Hz, I get a resonance. Will try connecting the main speakers via the sub - I tried that with a Pioneer and the sub integration was more seamless.

That said, the AV receiver is much more user friendly than before- especially the remote.

Some teething problems/ issues I have noticed:
    - Marantz has changed the functionality of the left knob- unlike before, this now chooses input, and not the surround mode. I preferred the previous use.
    - You cannot adjust channel volume while the AV is playing audio- you have to stop the audio, and use the pink noise to adjust channel volumes. It was much easier to adjust channel volumes while playing real audio.
    - The display does not show you what surround mode is selected- so you will need to notice carefully which mode works best for you, so you can choose it again!

That said, if you are looking for the best deal on AV performance, I am pretty certain this is currently the best one in its class.

All for now, will keep you posted as I figure out more stuff.
    cheers

2. Kaleb500

Kaleb500
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a quick point about the surround mode being diaplayed. On my 7400 it also didn't display the surround mode by default, but theres a button on the remote that allows you select different displays, one being the surround mode. The 5500 might be the same, dunno though.

3. santokatti

santokatti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kaleb500,

Thx for the tip - I tried it, and yes, now I get the surround mode on the front panel display.
    cheers

4. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,268
    Why have you got the crossover set so high? At 120Hz it will be very hard to get the subwoofer to blend in seamlessly as it's producing so much of the upper bass as well. Set the crossover to 80Hz or below depending on your speaker's capabilities and you should get better results. Oh and make sure you have the crossover on the sub at it's maximum setting in order to bypass it as the crossover is all being dealt with by the receiver.

5. Falp

Falp
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!

What speakers do have for using 120Hz Xover? :rolleyes:
    And what was your previous Amp?

How about Musical performance? :)

Hi heard both 5400 and 7400 and loved the sound, I was amazed by the 7400 musical performance, :thumbsup:
    I think I will choose between the 7400 / 5500.

6. Roam

Roam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Santokatti,

Just curious but on your 5500 have Marantz done away with the various (useless) DSP modes like Hall, Stadium etc in order to make way for more useful features? I read over at an American forum they had done this on the 4500.

7. Kaleb500

Kaleb500
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Think i agee with loafer on that one. Definatley gotta set your sub crossover to max. Just let the amp deal with the crossover. I have found 80hz works best on my set up. Try and adjust the distance settings for the speaker. But i did have some difficulty setting mine up. As for the DSP modes i didn't think that marantz ever had them did they? I don't think the 7400 has.

8. Roam

Roam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 4300 has only 5 of them but I never use them. I'd much much have prefered something more useful like lypsync or variable LFE crossovers.

9. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    I assume you've listened to all the competitors then?

10. quackman

quackman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just curious as to the crossover settings that are available on this reciever as
    Marantz seemed to advertise variable crossover settings for their new line of recievers. Is it the usual 80/100/120 or have they extended it to beyone 120 & 80Hz as the likes of yamaha and denon have done?

Any help on this would be appreciated.

11. Falp

Falp
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    80+100+120... only