1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz SR5500 and Sky+

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by cR4cKF0x 5TevE, Apr 21, 2005.

Tags:
  1. cR4cKF0x 5TevE

cR4cKF0x 5TevE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +295
    APT, I am having some trouble with the sound from Sky+ using my lovely new Marantz SR5500.

The Marantz only recognises the ptical input from Sky+ as a PCM (not Dolby Digital) signal, whereas my old NAD receiver seemed to recognise the same input as Dolby Digital all the time. I have the surround mode set to "AUTO" and it only wants to output a stereo signal (no surround effects at all).

Is there any way of 'forcing' the Marantz to recognise the Dolby Digital from Sky+, or should I 'accept' that it is only PCM most of the time (three Sky movies channels are recognised as Dolby Digital) and use a different surround mode to process the signal?

2. andyAV

andyAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 1068 processor identifies things the same way so you're probably okay - i.e. sky is putting PCM out for stereo and pro-logic channels and your new amp is identifying this correctly. IIRC most channels/programmes are in stereo with the exception of a few of the main movie channels (1-3) that usually do dolby digital and the other movies that are usually dolby pro logic (dolby surround as Sky term it).

See the surround mode button on the amp or remote. That will cycle through various modes.