Marantz SR5500 Advice required...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by JemNI, Nov 8, 2005.

Tags:
  1. JemNI

JemNI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI, my first post here so be gentle :D

I've searched the forums and past posts appear to agree with my thoughts but can someone please confirm...

I've got about 300 quid to spend on a new AV receiver and the current leader in my mind is the Marantz SR5500, so yesterday I took a walk down to Richer Sounds and put up with 10 minutes of the usual condescending know-it-all kinda sales banter I'd associate with Dixons or Currys (no harm to anyone on here who may work there :rotfl: ).

First off, my current system is a DVD player (Kiss dp-1500) which I run in S-Video into my TV AND progressive component into my projector. I also have a TiVo box (RGB into TV) and an S-Video VHS.

First argument at Richer was regarding component - although the KiSS outputs progressive component on the RGB pins of a SCART connector due to small form-factor, the sales guy spent ages arguing that it must be RGB, which it isn't!

I see the SR5500 handles component, does this mean it can also handle progressive component?

Second argument was that according to Marantz site (and what I've read here) the SR5500 will do video conversion. According to the salesman at Richer it doesn't (and he's worked on them for 9 months in the repair workshop so he knows everything about them ... or so he claimed :rolleyes: ).

Will it convert ALL my input sources to component AND S-video? My thought is that I want to wire my TV and projector to the S-video and component outputs respectively and wire just the progressive component of the DVD player, the composite of the Tivo (I assume I can't use the RGB output?) and the S-video of the VHS into the amp.

The salesman reckons I shouldn't run video through the amp as it's going to degrade the quality significantly.. errrr... what's the point of an AV amp if it's not meant to take video? :confused:

I'm running the amp into Mission 707s at the front, an Infinity centre and a pair of Mordaunt Shorts for the rears at present. As I'm upgrading from a Sony HTK-215 which has recently expired I'm going to use it's subwoofer for the time being.

I'm just a bit confused at the moment as "expert" opinions appear to differ.... also is there anything else in the 300 quid price bracket I should be considering?

Thanks for any help!!

2. badkarma

badkarma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    JemNI,

I've got an SR7400 but had a look at the SR5500 manual and the conversion functions seem the same.

Should up convert composite and s-video onto the component output. It will also take two component source and pass them through to the component output without conversion, prog scan shouldn't be a problem, it isn't on the SR7400 I know that for sure.

It will also up convert composite inputs onto the s-video monitor output and pass through s-video inputs onto the s-video monitor output. It won't down convert component onto the s-vdeo monitor output though.

Better check your Sony sub is active also.

Hope this helps.
    Cheers

3. JemNI

JemNI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi BadKarma,

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like it does nearly everything I want then... shame it can't down convert component to S-Video (to put my DVD player on my TV... I'd rather get away from both S-video & component output connections on the DVD as it's less than intuitive selecting between the 2 for the rest of the family...) BUT this isn't essential as it'll up convert the S-Video to the projector, albeit not in progressive but the kids'll never notice when they get it wrong ;)

It does seem that it'll allow me to put the TiVo & VHS out to the projector without additional cabling, which is niiice :)

The Sony sub is active so no worries on that front. :)

I guess I may have to go back to Richer now to laugh at the sales guy... shame I can't buy it elsewhere for the same price as that kinda attitude really stinks.

4. badkarma

badkarma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    No probs

Happy shopping :D :D