1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz Sr550, Yamaha 750

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by HAILOS, Dec 9, 2004.

Tags:
  1. HAILOS

HAILOS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Marantz sr-5500, or Yamaha dsp ax750se ????? :confused:
    These two are on my short list, suit my Budget. I'll be using them for both music as well as DVDs, and from what I've read so far, they are both considered quite good at Music.
    If anyones had experiences with either, good or bad, or even other recommendations for other recievers,then your opinions are invited and appreciated !!
    Also, thinkng of either Mission M30, or Mordaunt short premier Plus with these two, again, within budget.....any other opinions ??
    Thanks...

2. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Forget the Yamaha if you care about music...

3. imichael

imichael
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A bit harsh Falp, the direct and stereo modes are both very good on the 750. Very detailed and quite bright - I'm still running my speakers in (genies) and bass response seems to be improving every day, but probably not the best speakers for audiophiles.

I understand the Marantz to be a warmer sound, down to preference really. Both are no doubt extremely good amps at the price point.

4. imichael

imichael
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And for movies the Yam is awesome, easy to set up and loads of contol - yes I do like mine - A LOT

5. reservoir51

reservoir51

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Falp, pardon my ignorance but have you actually demoed the Yamaha DSP-AX750 against your Denon D-100 (is it a personal micro system by any chance?)? If you have and still think that the 750 is awful for music compared with your sysyem, then fair point as it's your opinion. I guess the many fans of the 750 on this forum and the professional reviewers at What Hi-Fi Sound & Vision, Home Cinema Choice, Essential Home Cinema, What TV and Video (to name only a few) can get it wrong sometimes ;) .

reservoir51

6. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Yamaha are great Receivers for Movies...

In Music the 1400/1500 and 2400/2500 are much better than the other models as it seems but I did't have a chance to listen to these...

There aren't much musical AV Receivers except NAD/Marantz/Rotel/Arcam... and H/K same say (never heard).

Even Denon I would only recommend the 3805 for music... but even a cheaper Marantz 7400 is better in Musical duties...

I myself am deciding for a Maratnz... 5500/7400/7500... probably will buy a 5500 and add a power amp for fronts speakers.

7. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    The new Yamahas are very good in stereo. Different sound to the Marantz amps though, the Marantz amps are a tad warmer.

The downside of Yamahas in the past were that they sounded over processed, well, to my ears anyway.

I actually have a Yamaha HTR5630 at home as well as the Marantz, and it isn't too bad for a budget AV receiver when it comes to stereo.

The Marantz amps are geared more towards music than movies, although they are still cracking movie amps too.

Marantz better the Yamahas for stereo, yes, but not by as large a margin as your statement suggests. The 750 and its brothers have come a long way.

8. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I hope so, the ones I heard sounded truly over-processed... and fatiguing.
    And everyone that made a A-B camparison seems to agree...

But remember even in A/V duties the Marantz retain their power in all channels in a way above any other brand except for NAD... and in more expensive models as Rotel...

9. MS-Yam

MS-Yam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Yamaha 640SE, and for a 'budget' AV amp, it's stereo performance is excellent with my MS Avant 906 fronts.

I would even go as far to say its almost on par with my old Arcam Alpha 5+ stereo amp!, which was excellent.

It's not as good as I would like... but still, you have to remember its an AV amp - for 'AV' use.

10. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ROFL :D

11. HAILOS

HAILOS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Its always good to read peoples opinions, and thanks to all those who have replied so far..
    Of course i understand that i need to Demo stuff for myself, but as in anything, extra info always handy as it can help me consider points i may have otherwise not thought of.
    While it does come down to personal preference, it has to be said its also our perceptions are a major factor, and what we may consider " fairly good" performance these days, would probably commanded both "excellent performance" tag together with a premium cost only a year or so ago :lesson:
    As I have also been used to an all-in-one pioneer system so far( ok with movies within its limits, S :censored: T with music), what some may describe "average" in a certain area of performance, to me will probably be "outstanding"....things being relative of course.
    Anyway, always good to hear other peoples thoughts :thumbsup:

12. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll continue the support for the Yamaha, I bought one last month with MS Avant speakers and it sounds absolutely awesome :D . It just gets better and better, and the stereo performance is excellent.

I don't know of many posters apart from Falp that are saying the 750 is a bad amp, but there are plenty of satisfied people who currently have one here!

Another good amp to consider is the Marantz 7400 if you can find it (Peter Tyson have it in black at a great price). It's soon to be replaced but is also an excellent amp in stereo. If you can, go listen to them - if you can only listen to one, buy that one. If you can't listen to any, buy the one that looks the best :rotfl:

13. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    All Maratnz ARReceivers are musical above average and have power amps also in the same way... :thumbsup:

At least that offers no doubt :D :smashin:

14. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Hey Falp, your a fantaical supporter of Marantz amps but you dont own one :rotfl:

I havent heard any Marantz AV amps, only stereo amps and was impressed. I was going to get the sr7400 until I found the Yamaha 1400 at a superb price in Germany:D

Both amps you have short listed are superb so the only way to see which one you prefere the sound of is to demo it.

15. Mandel

Mandel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I find my Yamaha 640 great for music in Stereo (which I use for vinyl), DTS:Neo6 (for RBCDs) and 6 channel direct (for SACDs). Guess it depends if you like the bright (and transparent) sound or prefer to go for something warmer.

16. vinny41

vinny41

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +312
    If anyone cares to review FALP previous comments he is constantly recommend Marantz amps even to the point when they have not been available to anyone to test
    Falp,
    Do you work for Marantz or do you have major share options?????
    Vinny41

17. vinny41

vinny41

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +312
    Falp as the Marantz cheerleader please quantify your statement rather than just saying Marantz is great everything else is crap

18. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    If music matters I would recommend Marantz, NAD, Rotel, Arcam... maybe H/K too?
    At this price Marantz and NAD...

As a movies ONLY machine Yamaha are very good.

For movies and music, Denon and some top of the range Pioneers.

Any problem with that vinny41 ?

19. vinny41

vinny41

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +312
    Falp is the above based on listening and benchtesting each model or a statement issued by the "voice of Falp"

20. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    ??????????

listening for sure...

As stated I didn't listen to all models and many people say the Yamaha 1400/1500/2400/2500 are very good...

21. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just out of interest what was the last model you listened to?

22. vinny41

vinny41

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +312
    So the above statement is based on what other people have said.
    Falp the point is I think you statements appear to be what you have heard from other people, Your comments are not very helpful to a newbie trying to work out which model is right for them.
    Hopefully in the future we wouldn't see any more wild statements such as brand x is crap you should buy brand y

23. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Did you read something I wrote? :suicide:

24. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Denon 1804 / 3805, Nad 753, Pioneer Ax3 or Ax5, Marant 5400 / 7400, Sony 940 / 980, Onkyo 601... just to name a few very recently...

25. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Strangely I don't see the brand Yamaha in that list.

Apologies to HAILOS by the way for the slight thread hijack, it's just that I (and it appears others also) am getting a bit fed up of Falp's "Yamaha are :censored:" attitude when he doesn't actually appear to have ever listened to one.

In particular Falp I know you can't have listen to the DSP-AX750 as it's not imported into Portugal - it was specifically tuned to the UK market.

Damn, I've just added to the problem...everyone, can we possibly get back on topic?

Is stock of the SR5500 available now, has *anyone* actually heard both amps?

26. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I named just a few recently (sameone asked me the last one I heard)... I even bought two Yamaha AV Receivers for a cousin and for a friend... see?
    And have heard a few in some systems... :cool:

I you read carefully everything I wrote maybe you could think about it... :blush:

Retuning to the topic:

Hailo:

Yamaha 750, great machine for movies, maybe as a tuned version can be better than average for music for a Yamaha AVreceiver...

Marantz 5500, great machine for music and movies, same as 5400 but 1 extra amp, same chassis. Marantz very good internal amps.

Go listen to both and choose the one you like more, and very important, with the speakers you have or want... :smashin:

27. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK Falp, I'm biased as I own a 750 :D Which receivers were they by the way?

Hailos, it'll come down to personal preference depending on how "warm" a sound you like. This will also be heavily affected by which speakers you choose.

Also have a listen to Canton CD1s if you're set on a sub/sat system but I would say if you're interested in a musical system buy full size speakers. All the sub/sats I listened to, while competent, were lacking the midrange that I like to give a sense of scale to my music.

28. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    I should be getting my Kef Q series package today along with a Yamaha 750SE. Hopefully should be able to test it properly this weekend and put this matter to rest.

I’m quite intrigued to find how the Y750 performs in stereo as it’s one of the main reasons I bought it. I have to say though when demoing it, it sounded very good for the money :cool:

29. HAILOS

HAILOS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    thanks for the replies guys..
    I do understand the recommendation regarding Floorstanding speakers, but am i right in assuming that there are restrictions regarding placing them away from the wall ?? Its basically for this reason that I've considered the smaller bookshelf ones.... ( perhaps I should post this question in the speaker section... :cool: )

30. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You may have a point if you put floorstanders right up against the wall - but it will depend on the speaker design. There are also things you can do to minimise this...maybe just quality bookshelf speakers. With a good sub to provide really low bass you'll have a decent sounding musical system.

Bear in mind the Yammie won't drive a sub in "Pure Direct" mode - only your fronts. I suspect the Marantz may be similar. I tend to listen in "Straight" mode if I want more bass - this is minimal processing, fronts only but also provides a signal to the sub.

I'm definitely not a speaker placement expert though - post a thread in speakers, there are plenty of folks to help you out there!

Try searching first though, the sub/sat vs full size discussion will have cropped up many times before!