1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz SR5400

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by chilly, Jan 12, 2004.

Tags:
  1. chilly

chilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, just bought a 5400 with MS Premiere package from RS, manual says 20cm clearance above unit for cooling with 20cm behind, is this over the top or really necesary, also I wanted to take an s-video feed to my TV as well as to my projector but cant understand which outputs to use, only 1 is marked as monitor but there are other outputs marked as video and DVD, are these purely for video and DVD or can everything be output into one.

Thanks for any advice.

2. Warpaint

Warpaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    20 cm is a bit over the top. Usually around 5 cm clearance should be plenty. Depends on how open the cabinet/rack is.

There are three possible monitor outputs.

1 Component (best)
    2 S-Video (2nd best)
    3 Composite Video (worst)

The SR5400 can not convert from one video format to another, so this means if you feed in an S-Video signal you can use the S-Video monitor out.
    If you feed in a composite signal then you will have to connect the Composite monitor out etc.
    If your DVD has component out and your projector has component in then use these for the projector. If you simultaneously connect the S-video from DVD to amp then you can send S-video to the TV.

What connections do you have on the projector, DVD and TV?

3. chilly

chilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Warpaint, let me explain a little more, I am thinking of taking a direct feed from my DVD to my projector using component, RS told me this is better than going through the 5400, I need to take an S Video feed to the projector as well to carry feeds from PS2 ( S video ), Sky digibox ( S Video ) and VCR (S Video ), also I need to output the four to my TV if possible.

Cheers

4. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been running a 5300 since release with around 5-7cm clearance at the top with no problems, I initially panicked when I read the 20cm figure as well.

The 5-7cm clearance is more than enough, the space above it rarely even gets above luke warm. I can't see why clearance to the rear would be necessary except for changing connections.

5. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have my 5300 standing directly on top of the two MA6100 Mono-Block Amps and a shelf about 1cm directly above I check quite regularly (by touch) and have had no problems, the cabinet does not have a back on. I admit it is not ideal but at the moment I have no choice.

6. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Beside the obvious "Monitor Out" you can use the VCR output(s) to distribute the video-signal to multiple displays.