1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz SR5400 vs. Sony STRDB795 for stereo performance?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Stokie Dave, Oct 23, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Stokie Dave

Stokie Dave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi guys, hopefully this'll be my final thread as I learn more about AV stuff and get you lot enlightening me with useful user reviews :D

Basically, I am looking for an AV amp but it's gonna be used for about 75% stereo initially. I'm looking at the Marantz SR5400 for £199 and the Sony STRDB795 for £220.

Both seem to get good reviews, and having good history with both Sony and Marantz kit for sound quality, I am really stuck deciding which to get. AV performance doesn't have to me AMAZING and I am sure both are competent for the money anyway, but audio performance is quite important to me.

Speakers etc I'll be using:

Monitor Audio Bronze B2's
    Sony CDEXP-330 CD player (think thats right lol)
    QED Qunex 1 Interconnects
    Gale XL315 speaker cable but might well swap this also
    PC linked to amp via Videologic Sonic Fury sound card (might swap this too) for mp3's etc.

I listen to dance music primarily, so want something good for dance, pop, rock etc but with decent quality for nice ambient chilled stuff at time. I also DJ so it'll be used for that too, to take my mixers output.

Many thanks for any opinions! Much appreciated :clap:

2. TheeNoMaD

TheeNoMaD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it will be used for stereo most of the time why not purchase a nice stereo amp, then save up and get an av receiver later? But of the two i think the Marantz (although not my fav brand in the world) will be better at sereo than the sony. The sony is more geared for movies. But both have been designed with movies in mind and not stereo performance and if you want an av receiver with more stereo performance the mo money you will have to spend. So my recomendation is to get a good stereo amp and hook that through for movies. Still get a good sound from only two speakers.

3. SKA.face

SKA.face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it will be a close match,both teams struggling with fitness,a few on yellows that need to take the game steady,first half both will put the big guns up front,defence will be tight,probably 0-0 at half time.For the second half,after Marantz boys get a good talking to,they pile on the pressure,will sony buckle?,fitness will be the outcome I feel of this battle of the giants,......we move into time added on,it's still kneck and kneck,but hold on here come sony on the attack,but they give it away,defence is exposed,Marantz attack,sony have pushed up too hard,Marantz in the box,shoot,a deflection,hits the back of the net,Marantz take the lead,no time left for Sony to reply,back to the design board for them,a reshuffle of players to give that little bit more performance,but good old Marantz take the win,the extra power and refinement was just a bit to strong for the tireing Sony.

4. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    For stereo forget Sony and in that price range look for Marantz and NAD...

5. Stokie Dave

Stokie Dave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Bloody hell SKA.face! Outta breath after reading that :) Hehe.

Thanks all for your input, seems the Marantz should pip it for stereo use then. Thanks again, top forum this is :D

6. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    If you can afford it the 5400 OSE is £269 @ www.petertyson.co.uk The OSE is even better in stereo then the reguar one:D

7. Stokie Dave

Stokie Dave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Very tempting indeed DFour :) Missus is having a moan but I'll see what I can do!

8. Stokie Dave

Stokie Dave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Doh does anyone know the best place to buy an SR5400? Got the money @ last but now Peter Tyson want 250 :(

9. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Just go for the OSE model:devil:

10. Stokie Dave

Stokie Dave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Tis unfortunately outta my budget now otherwise I really would love it :( Gutted! I was waiting to sell my NAD Stereo amp before buying ya see and of course now I am ready to buy it's gone up 50 squid lol :)

Ah well :(

Should I now consider the Sony? Or should I just hold out a while and buy a cheap 2nd hand amp? I am in talks about a SR4400 for a very good price... how are they for stereo use?

11. pcookie

pcookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Don't forget the Sony 790 - the 795's predecessor came third in a blind stereo test against some stereo only amps costing £1000. At the end of the day, forget your preconceptions about brands and go and listen for yourself.

Cookie

12. Stokie Dave

Stokie Dave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thats impressive :) Who was it who did that test? Is there anything online about it I can read? Thanks :D

13. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    wouldn't go for the Sony. Just save for a week and go for the 5400ose!! The Marantz has pre-outs to feed to an external stereo amp (see above). The Sony doesn't have preouts so has ZERO upgrading potential!!

Don't forget the Marantz was a £550 amp and the Sony a £300 one.

14. Stokie Dave

Stokie Dave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Fair point to be honest :p I'll have a nosey @ my finances but might be buying an SR4400 for a bit to play with as I am bordering on skint now xmas is close... if I buy anything it has to be this week heh.

15. vinny41

vinny41

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +312
  16. Stokie Dave

Stokie Dave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Bargain, silver too! :D

Unfortunately I agreed to buy an SR4400 instead before I got that link lol, got it for a good price though so if I like it for music I might upgrade to the 5400 afterall :p

17. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would there be any problems with buying a 5400 from Germany? I'm guessing it has a different plug - is the cord attached to the amp or separate? Is anything else likely to go wrong trying to use it over here? As far as I'm aware most electronics will work europewide but please correct me if I'm about to waste a pile of cash! Thanks.

18. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    SR5500 is just around the corner, so expect some juicier bargains on the old SR5400 :D

19. pcookie

pcookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Sony review was in HiFi choice. Alvin Gold was particularly impressed with it.
    The 795 got a peach of a review in there as well. The comments about Sony amps being hard and bright sounding is true of their past endevours, which is why the 790/795 are 'UK tuned' for our ears and are supposed to be a vast improvement. For £220 or thereabouts, I don't think you can go wrong.
    That said the comment about no pre-outs is a valid one if that's important to you. Good luck and happy listening.

Cookie

20. John Eland

John Eland
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a marantz sr 5400 and find it is excellent for stereo use with well defined sound but it really depends on the speakers you use, I myself have a pair of kenwood trio LS-660 front speakers an old speaker by todays standard but they sound gorgeous.
    I find Sony are OK but over priced but the marantz gear does exactly what it say's on the tin, and please remember it's not what some so called expert say's in a magazine as they test gear in perfect conditions with the best speakers, it's all about how it sounds in YOUR home so let your ears decide.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
  21. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    That's an answer 10 years after :)

22. John Eland

John Eland
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That may be true my friend but the Marantz will out do the Sony by a mile, it was like that 10 years ago and it's still true today ans Sony are still overpriced for what you get even today.