1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marantz SR5400 OSE problem

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by bleeda, Feb 16, 2004.

Tags:
  1. bleeda

bleeda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just taken delivery of this amp. Whenever I use it it switches off after approx 10 mins and imediatly turns back on. It only does this once. I have tried dirfferent volume settings as the first time it happened I thought I may have overloaded it by playing music at high volume. Once it has done this it will stay on(have had it on for 3+ hours at high volume). Any ideas? Or do you think it's a faulty amp.

Also it does not appear to sound any better than my old Yamaha DSPA970. Do amps take some running in? I was once told in a HIFI shop CD players take approx 10 hours to run in and they won't sound their best untill then. Is this true?

2. bluesfan

bluesfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to hear about this I was considering getting this one. Did you demo the std 5400. If so, is it not even better than this?

I think the 'running in' notion is complete rubbish?

3. bleeda

bleeda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

4. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    If it is anything like my 5300, there is a master reset hold A/D & DIMMER buttons for 3 seconds and it will do a software reboot, you will loose all of your settings but it is worth a try for your resetting issue can not guarantee it will resolve the issue but it is worth a try.

With respect to the sound quality, what speakers/CD player do you use and what exactly you think is lacking (have you tried using the digital out on the CD player and letting the amp do all the D/A work see if that makes a difference).

I always liked my SR5300 It was miles better than the Yam DSP-A5 I had before it in surround and stereo, but was not totally happy with the Bass control and depth it was a little plodding this was probably due to the 603’s they are not the easiest speaker to drive, I added the MA6100’s and Bi-Amped and am as happy as can be for a sub £1000 system, I would always like to spend a couple of grand on a pre/power system but who would not.

5. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    One thing to check is that none of the speaker wire strands are touching the opposing pole. The strands from each cable should be completely seperate, if even one strand is touching, it could be creating a short and the Marantz is shutting down to protect itself.

Double check both speaker side terminals and amp side terminals. A similar thing used to happen with my friends SR4300, and this was found to be the cause.

6. bluesfan

bluesfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you ever fix the problem?

7. bleeda

bleeda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx for the interest. Still have not sorted the problem, i've just been putting up with it. The reason for this is I'm gouing to do a reset. But I've been waiting for a soud level meter before I do this and lose all my settings. This is due to arrive any day so I'll let you know. If not it will have to go back.

With regard to the performance it now sounds stunning with Dolby dig et al. Got Jamiroquai concert on DVD and it sounds stunning. Music (CD) side of things still lacking but I put this down to my CD player.

Let you know what happens when I do the reset. Hopefully it will cure it so I can avoid the task of disconnecting it.

I purchased it from unbeatable, does anyone have any experience of faulty goods from internet retailers? I don't know wot the procedure is yet? Do I have to box it up and send back or will they refer me to a local reairer? Hopefully won't come to this.

8. bluesfan

bluesfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you tell me what setup you have for music. I am thinking of getting but have read mixed reports. Have BW603s and Marantz cd7300 that sounds pretty good on an old Pioneer 205. I'm in it for music and 10% movies. If it's not good enough I may stretch to two MA6100 monoblocks later.

9. bluesfan

bluesfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, sorry on Unbeatable I have used them many times and never had a problem, cancelling orders or sending stuff back, they always collect in my experience. They will/should take it back. Another them is on back orders they don't seem to take your money until the goods are ready for despatch, unlike some others I could name that keep your money for weeks.

10. bleeda

bleeda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have Pioneer PDS703 (approx 5 years old) CD Player,Panasonic DMRE50 DVD Recorder(which I think is a superb machine),Bose AM7 main speakers(which I regret buying only sound any good when played loud & too expensive for wot they are, fell for the hype & the trade in offer) & wharfedale loudpanel PPs 1 as rear speakers .

Have CD players improved much in 5 years? When I bought the Pioneer it was highly rated but maybe time to upgrade when funds allow.

I think u will watch more movies if u get the 5400? I certainly do & as I said previous concert DVD's are stunning on the 5400 OSE.

Not had time to do the reset yet but let u know when I do.

11. bluesfan

bluesfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can recommend cd7300. Toggle and direct track numbers are great plus cd text and mp3. Sound is warm but detailed. Must go well with 5400.

12. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    You do not need a meter before you try this just take a note of your current settings before you do it, but to be honest I would try and get the unit exchanged while it is new, save possible hassle later.

13. jeff-o

jeff-o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is a known issue with the Cirrus Logic DSP the SR5400 uses for dolby digital and DTS. Basically, the receiver will heat up and cause the DSP's thermal protection to kick in, shutting off then turning right back on. Talk to your dealer or Marantz about getting your SR5400 repaired or replaced.

Mine did the same thing, although it would continue to do so while using it for hours at a time... very annoying when you're watching a movie and the sound drops out every 30 mins!